importimg only ships from another mod?

• hey i'm brand new to this and so decided to start with what i taught would be an easy . but i just cant figure it out.

i have a stargate mod for sp, i dont like all the systems and map layout but i want the ships, is there any way of importing them in to my original game or a diffrent mod ?

I have tried copying the stargate ships folder in to the original folder and then updating the market-ships ini. file so i could by them , its obviously not that simple mow , so if any 1 can help me with this i would really appriciate it

• market_ships.ini file are used to put ships on the sale only (max. 3 ships per base allowed).

Look for these files:

shiparch.ini - main "technical" data such as HP, hardpoints, cargo hold etc. Put your ship's code here.

goods.ini - this file combines ships and internal equipment into one tradeable package. First, look into [Good] section (prices and interface icons for ship hulls), then into [Package] (combibing hulls with engines, running lights and so on).

engine_equip.ini - if your ship have custom engine, you can find it's code here.

• ok i have my ship code in the shiparch.ini file but i still cant get the ship 2 be playable in game , I have to say again that i am very new to this so please be patient with me :cry: :cry: any other advice?

• Quote from "daire"

ok i have my ship code in the shiparch.ini file but i still cant get the ship 2 be playable in game , I have to say again that i am very new to this so please be patient with me :cry: :cry: any other advice?

Take a look on other files (in mod). They must have another ship's declarations. So your primary objective - find all information about wanted ships in mod and put in into original game files.

• Try this video: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://files.filefront.com/Ship+Videoavi/;12849106;/fileinfo.html">http://files.filefront.com/Ship+Videoav ... einfo.html</a><!-- m -->

I made it a little while back. Note, the file structure will be a bit different, but it has the gist of things you need to know.

• Quote from "Freeworlds_Sushi"

Try this video: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://files.filefront.com/Ship+Videoavi/;12849106;/fileinfo.html">http://files.filefront.com/Ship+Videoav ... einfo.html</a><!-- m -->

I made it a little while back. Note, the file structure will be a bit different, but it has the gist of things you need to know.

Thanks , although i'll probably have to study that for a while before i get the hang of it , can i give you a shout if i need any help , thanks again at least now i have some idea what i'm doing :D

• I just hope you got the proper permission to use the ships from that other mod. If not you might get in serious troubles.

2 weeks ago a FL community was forced to close because they used parts of a mod without permission and broke the copyrights.

Advice: if its not your own work then either get proper permissions or dont even touch the models

• also keep in mind NOT to crossover parts of ships coz if they meet ingame both clients will crash, for instance best practice is to keep ships with all its parts (textures etc) in separate folders so u dont excidentaly make crossings, this also is not 'certin crash' for instance sometimes it will produce unknown effects, like u will have surface textures from one ship on opponent ship.
    so safe practice is to keep each ship (or shippack) in separate direcories, and to write shiparch manualy... (in general all things u can do manualy are BEST)
    avoid using tools from start, tools are generaly for expirianced coders which can debug backwards if something goes wrong, if u start with just 'import tool' ull end up in situation where u have no idea what tool did, and eventually u will give up of modding.
    good luck and wellcome

• Quote from "Knife`"

also keep in mind NOT to crossover parts of ships coz if they meet ingame both clients will crash, for instance best practice is to keep ships with all its parts (textures etc) in separate folders so u dont excidentaly make crossings, this also is not 'certin crash' for instance sometimes it will produce unknown effects, like u will have surface textures from one ship on opponent ship.
    so safe practice is to keep each ship (or shippack) in separate direcories, and to write shiparch manualy... (in general all things u can do manualy are BEST)
    avoid using tools from start, tools are generaly for expirianced coders which can debug backwards if something goes wrong, if u start with just 'import tool' ull end up in situation where u have no idea what tool did, and eventually u will give up of modding.
    good luck and wellcome

Well i think its time for me to quit any way i have gottin a lot o help from sushi but im in way over my head even with this little project, 4 some reason the game wont except my changes or even the original mod any more. it crashes before reaching the main menu :x the only tool i used was a thing called FLIniEditor which only opens the ini. file so that i could edit them , note pad wasnt workin 4 me 4 some reason. any way thanks all 4 ur help!