Realistic shields breach

• Does anyone already did that thing? In original FL even most hardest hits being deflected by at least 1 shield pt., and i want to fix it, but unable to dig in ini and exe files due to lack of free time... Example:

1200 shield - 500 hit = 700 shield damage;
    200 shield - 500 hit = shields drawing offline, 300 hull damage.

• imho thats wrong interpetation of shield
    there should not accure any damage to hull untill shield is totaly drain, shield should have function to trigger weapon explosion without damage to hull,
    if there was other way and u want to have summ of shield and hull damage then shield is logicaly useless,
    u can make 2x hull hitpoints with same effect.
    like adding 2x hull multiplyer

• Shields are regenerating, hull are repaired only on stations - and pilot always can go deeply into defense, doing evasive maneuvers, to regenerate shields, avoiding drain and hull damages. But when shields are almost drained and weak, they imho can be breached by a hard hit, that overcomes remaining shield capacity - rendering shields offline, and damage hull with remaining energy, that has not been absorbed by the shield.

p.S. btw, i'm working on total shielding rebalancing and got some questions since it's hard to test... i've got 3 types of shields - flux (low capacity, high regen, 0.75 sec to rebuild), repulsing (med cap, med regen, 5s reb.) and contour (high cap, low regen, 15s reb.). The question is about shield combinations... will they regenerate separately each from another, when combined types installed (there's 2 or even 3 shield links in my mod, depending on ship's class...)?

• i dont know if ur mod is orientated thowrads multiplayer or singleplayer, however it is very hard to rly do good balance of shields on multiplayer, we have created 4 shield types,
    they have from 2x capacitly 2x slower regen
    to
    2x lower cpacity 2x faster regen rate
    and 2 in middle of that, comapring to original shields ingame
    however we have also added capacitors to finetune shield drain/regen
    may i direct you to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flguild.biz">http://www.flguild.biz</a><!-- m -->
    u can check out mod, and rates we have used,
    flguild admin team is constructed of heavy multiplayer fighers, and we have done extensive testing on ballancing weapons, fighters, hulls, motion, thats actually took us 95% of time invested in mod.
    freelancers guild mod is directed exclusvily to vanila playability eaven it features over 70 new ships, new concept of ship classes, for instance
    miners, assult freighters, realistic battleships, realistic cruisers, realistic gunboats, heavy duty transports, transport cruisers, trains/transports, special ships, like repair, like loader...
    also its all done to keep original game fightstyle ...

• The reason shields do hull damage is some nameless person at DA decided so with one simple setting, look in the constants.ini

[ShieldEquipConsts]
    HULL_DAMAGE_FACTOR = 0.500000

This means for every shield hit, it does 50% damage to the hull. The simple fix is thus

[ShieldEquipConsts]
    HULL_DAMAGE_FACTOR = 0

This of course means that any weapon not having shield damge built in will do no damage at all to your hull until the shields are depleted. If you followed this thought further, you'd have to amend every base weapon to include shield damge as at the moment they are all set to 0, but because of the multiplyer in the constants file, they automatically do shield damage even though they are set not to.

I used this code in one of my earlier mods and it worked a treat. Makes you totally rethink what weapons to use.

• To quote Steppen Boar's signature line:

"When the WW 3 starts...
    ...I'll make a mod for it."

Take a look at the internet and MMORPG's.
    Yep, WW 3 started quite some time ago.
    Start working.

DM Rankor
    Sirius Engineering
    Building Sirius Toward The Future

• You maybe don't understand, what i mean... Shields ARE working OK - weapons do completely no hull damage until shields are depleted. I mean other thing.

When shields are working, they can deflect EVERY hit, no matter how hard it would be. Ex. - even Sunslayer torpedo blast are deflected with ALMOST drained shields.

What i want to do?
    1) Hits with value LESS than remaining shield pts. is deflected completely, and their value extracted from current shield power;
    2) Hits with value LARGER than remaining shields is deflected partially, rendering shields offline. Deflected value = shield power before hit. And value, that can't be deflected (due to weak shields) are damaging the hull.

...and, if my language knowledge are failing, there's some kind of illustration:

.... - Hit power

1) shield value greater than hit power
    (........) <- before (........)
    (........) after ---> (........)

2) shield value less than hit power
    (........) <- before (........)
    (........) after ---> (........)