Ol' Ship Packs

• I wanted to use some old ship packs in my mod, from 2003 and 2004. I wanted to use Kasdia's and Baene's ship packs. They ask their authorization, but they can't be contacted.

So, can I use their work in my mod?

I'm asking this here coz they released their packs here...

• why dont you take other ships
    i have the usage licence for more than 1000 different ship models meanwhile

• Yes fire wolf you can. If you run into any permission problems just point them at me.

As for you OP... Do you ever get tired of being a troll?

• Wolf, advice would be, to give written credit in the readme file to help cover you as well.

Proud owner of a MacBook: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120 GB hard drive
    Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

The time has come, Join The Resistance!

• excuse me Mr. Dodge but what do you want from me?

I answered a help request by offering a different solution (one that does not imply to break copyrights and use other peoples work without their permission)
    To give credits without asking is not enough especially if explizit permission is requested by the original author.
    If you have a problem with that I offer help then you can ban me right away.

Oh and i would welcome it not getting insulted by you any longer.

• I aint gonna ban you cause you don't deserve it.
    As for what I want, well, I want you to follow the rules and be a friendly and to contribute to the FL community. Your post seemed like trolling at the time, but I didn't ban you and only sent you a warning.

As long as you follow the rules and be a generally decent guy then you cans stay with. Hell we'll even give you room service.

Now stay on topic and next time you have a question like that send me a PM, don't intentionally look like an ass in public please.

• nice - you can edit our your words with "***" as much as you want but they are still against the rules of this forum

you gave me a warning for helping a freelancer modder that is the only thing I have done here
    how you interprete it is just alone your problem... but to call me a troll for no reason is a matter very close to an insult (and on the other thread you called me a jerk -> which goes into a similar direction)
    I have not broken a rule in the past and for sure i wont start with that... that you can be sure of.

• Back on topic *This discussion was over the second I responded, stop trying to start a flame war.*

I think as long as you give credit where credit is due they'll be ok with it. If you want, we can look for a current email for them?

• im not trying to start a flamewar - i just helped a friend

That they will be ok with it when credits are given is a pure assumption while the readme of the ship packs state exactly the opposite. They have requested to be contacted. And the permission of usage is very limited -> i can say that because i got the permision 3 years ago stating that i am only allowed to use them in my own mod, only with the same textures, the same hardpoints and the same stats.
    Assuming that someone would allow permission does lead only to one situation... everyone assumes that its allowed to take from others without asking. And in the past there have been enough problems between FL communities because of such assumptions.

• As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Op. If it states in the modder and or modelers content that you must obtain specific permission, then I would do so. So there is np with your mod.

thank you

MentalChaos

PS: I would appreciate if we could keep the COMMENTS that do not pertain to the thread out.

PS: I would appreciate if we could keep the COMMENTS that do not pertain to the thread out.

indeed - i really would like to see that too

• I must say that I have the same problem a lot. I find a ship I like, find the name of the creator, but no email. We have lists of everything is freelancer, but we don't have a list of emails or who's who. I want to ask if someone could do something like this, but I don't expect to see it as it would be a pain in the ass.

• There is also the issue, that the mod maker went back to real life, and didn't even keep the email anyway.

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• Not trying to sound like an asshole, but is there anyway around the copyrights/permissions to use those ships? I mean I understand that just giving credit isn't enough in some cases, but how do we know which ones are and aren't?

• You could add the phrase, "Credit has been given, but contact was not possible. If you prefer your ship(s) removed, contact me at" and you should be covered.

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• many ship creators have statements such as "you may use it but please give credits"
    in that case the situation is clear
    but if someone really askes for permission of usage u shouldnt use the ships without permission as it an explizit wish to get in contact with the author

if you dont ask but give credits the author still can come back to you and claim you did steal his work but it is your choice if you want to risk that

• I see what iMac is saying, and shouldn't that be the one biggest way to cover it? I mean unless they're a complete prick, I don't see why anyone would get too pissed from that.