What happened to OpenLancer?

• I remember running across this project one or two years ago, and recently I figured I'd go back to see if the project was still active, but their code files look two years old, and their site days nothing about OpenLancer now. Anyone here know what happened to the project?

• Openlancer is still around but its suffered some serious setbacks. After splitting off from TLR, nearly two years ago, the primary focus turned to building a new game development community from scratch, the OpenGameForge.org project (OGF). At the same time the OL code base underwent 4 prototyping phases and ultimately fell apart because the game design was more ambitious than we had resources to develop an engine able to handle it all, given the focus on being a "proper" FL successor the design was not compromised (changed), and development came to a halt (OL is a sequel in spirit, not direct sequel due to copyright). OGF has also had several serious setbacks.

Current status is we are building another new site, dubbed OGF2.5, which should be ready for a formal launch next week. After that an open community summit will be held among several FOSS (not mod) game development communities to develop a site plan for OGF2.6 and organize some core middleware projects, this should expand the OGF infrastructure to launch 3 major new services. Assuming we don't have anymore catastrophic failures OGF should take off rapidly, hopefully garnering the sheer development manpower to make a serious renewed effort on Openlancer development this fall. Openlancer is also waiting on OpenGameEngine (OGE), they have also had some setbacks with developers leaving and serious engine bugs, but they recently recruited a few new guys which should get the project back on track over the summer.

I'll post a follow up and submit a news announcement to TLR when the OGF site is ready for regular usage.

Quick comment on TLR: While I applaud MentalChaos for sticking with TLR, the issues which lead to the creation of OGF predate his reign, bridges were burned that are not easily rebuilt. Later this summer we might be able to hold a second community summit in an attempt to pull together the remains of the FL community, or at least build some new bridges as it were.

Regards,
    -MegaBurn