The Story of Jonathan Kane

• Jonathan Kane was drinking, once again. The Trafalgar Ale had never tasted better. It probably wasn't a good idea to get drunk now, but he felt he deserved it. The Cardamine run earlier that day had gone well, much better than expected.

As a former alcoholic and as addiction-prone as a man can be, drinking wasn't a good idea, but at least it was better than the Cardamine addiction most of his clients had going on. They couldn't live without it, literally. ''Yeah,'' he thought to himself, ''I'm not that bad.'' That was true, but he had other things running through his mind instead of where to score his next shot of Cardamine. Like the meeting with that strange man later tonight. To Jonathan, the man had looked like a high ranking Corsair, but he couldn't place him.

On that note, he found the Corsairs a few tables away to be looking his way suspiciously often. Quite uncomfortable, two men stalking you. He tried convincing himself it was the alcohol and the exhaustion, but even then it didn't sit well with him. After a brief moment of trying to ignore the two suspicious men, he finished his drink and went to his room. Jonathan needed some sleep very badly.

-----------------------
    Comments: Just felt like writing a bit, and I just thought of a way to tell a nice story about this man, Jonathan Kane. I'm not a native English speaker though, so please forgive me weird sentences or grammatical errors. (But do point them out to me so I can learn!) I'll just write this on the fly, not really thinking to many steps forward. Should be fun.

• A few hours after Jonathan left the bar to get himself some precious sleep, he woke up with a shock. Someone was banging, not subtly, on his room door. Jonathan was still half sleeping, but through the confusion he understood what the person at the door was trying to tell him. There was a Corsair waiting for him in the bar, was the message. With a shock he realized he was late for the meeting.

After putting on his clothes with remarkable speed, he arrived at the bar a few minutes later. After a quick glance through the bar, he saw the man sitting in the far right corner of the bar. When their gazes met, Jonathan saw that the man looked quite irritated. After Jonathan sat down at the table, that look disappeared and the man now had a friendly look on his face. Jonathan recognized it as the look of a shady businessman who wanted something from him.

Aftr Jonathan had installed himself on the chair, the man began to talk.
    ''Hello, Mr Kane, I'm glad you could find the time to see me,'' said the Corsair, not entirely truthful.
    Jonathan nodded in agreement and with a small hand movement told the man to go on.
    ''I'm Alejandro Cruz, Captain in the ranks of the Corsairs, and I'm here to make a business offer to you. You must have wondered what a Corsair could want from you, you being a freelancer who spends a bit more time with Outcasts than we find healthy. There are a few things I need to tell you.''
    ''Well, please go on.'' Jonathan said calmly.
    The man did just that. ''We know you smuggle Cardamine for your Outcast connections, and there is a reason your smuggle run today went that easy. We protected you, for we needed you. Well, we don't exactly need you, but you're the easiest option. Let me explain. For the last few years, Outcast number have been growing, which is miraculous, since Cardamine decreases fertility. We suspect Liberty Rogues, Blood Dragons and other petty criminals have been absorbed into Outcast ranks. Now this isn't that big of a problem, since Corsairs are superior pilots anyway. Those junkies better get some flying lessons.'' After saying that, Alejandro paused for a brief moment. ''But that's not the point. Outcasts have been sighted flying more advanced ships than they used to. Our spies have told us that Outcast Cardamine revenue is at an all time high. Soon they'll build even better ships and then it doesn't matter if Corsairs run circles around them in terms of skill, they'll just blast us out of space with superiour equipment. ''
    ''And where do I fit into this wonderful story?'' Jonathan asked.
    Cruz seemed irritated by Jonathans impatience, but he kept himself under control. ''A bit more patience, please, I'll get to that now. ''