Some questions

• I have been playing Freelancer on and off both in SP and in MP for many many years now. In the past 2 days I have been playing the SP again and I wanted to tweak some things about FL like giving the NPC`s better equipment and making them more challenging all around. So I started reading the forums about modding. It is my belief that in theory I have understood the general concept about what I would have to change and where. My question is this: Could I safely change the game files to reach my above objectives without critically alter the game in a way to crash? I wouldn`t like to break anything because I just hate reinstalling. :P Any thoughts on this matter?

Hell.

• It's ages since I played the game and I never got into deep modding but I would suggest that you just create backups of the files\folders you plan on tweaking then if something critical happens just 'revert'. If you're doing incremental changes then consider incremental backups. I'm thinking I need to get back into it one of these days but first I've got to find all the tools that I saw on the old site.

Quote from "h3llmaker"

I have been playing Freelancer on and off both in SP and in MP for many many years now. In the past 2 days I have been playing the SP again and I wanted to tweak some things about FL like giving the NPC`s better equipment and making them more challenging all around. So I started reading the forums about modding. It is my belief that in theory I have understood the general concept about what I would have to change and where. My question is this: Could I safely change the game files to reach my above objectives without critically alter the game in a way to crash? I wouldn`t like to break anything because I just hate reinstalling. :P Any thoughts on this matter?