What Patches?

• Can anyone give me an idea of official and unoffial patches that may enhance the game? I have an advanced system, AMD, with a FX 8800 GT card and running SP3 XP Pro. Any suggestions very welcome and thanked.

• I found official patch 1.1 and the unofficial one that is 1.4 Advanced. When i installed it some of the other mods on the FLM mod manager went orange, will have to research what that means.

• Just to keep things tidy...

The official Microsoft 1.1 patch is worth installing.

I would not install the unofficial 1.4 patch, most mods are not based on it.

By all means install SDK 1.3, it fixes many bugs in plain Freelancer. Install the MS 1.1 patch first.

Do NOT install the SDK 1.5, it has many bugs and is unstable.

The QuickFix patch has additional features you may not want, and has been suspected of causing problems - I am not so sure myself, but you may want to avoid it in favour of MS 1.1 patch and SDK 1.3

• some modern mods do not require any patches or sdks as they are mostly based on those or alternatives
    often the installation of such sdks causes incompatibilites with the mod you try to install

up to now i have not understand why many modders make their work dependent on sdks instead of including them directly into their mods

• In fact this is a misunderstanding.

Modders have normally installed MS 1.1 and SDK 1.3 first on plain Freelancer before starting to make their mod.

When they release the mod, only files that are changed are included with it.

So any MS 1.1 or SDK 1.3 files that the modder has not changed will NOT be included with the mod. So there may well be missing files unless the player applies the MS 1.1 patch followed by the SDK 1.3 on plain Freelancer, then the mod can be activated over these.

This is how my RRJDS mod was made too.

• Yes its not needed for SP but it has extra cheat detects and its good to keep it all together.

I release my mods in full, I don't like to cut out client-side from server-side.

I never used the QuickFix patch but others have also said they had problems.

It's always good to stay away from known problems, there are far too many bugs and unknown problems to find already! :D