Ideas for Freelancer 2

• Its a shame the copyright on a game didnt work like the trademark system does. If you dont use your trademark its possible to lose it. A few years ago a company was taken to court for trademark infringment, their defence team requested all the internal (non secret) company documents. The result was that the firm owning the trademark lost it. The reason being they didnt even use it on their own internal paper and memo. The judge ruled that as they didnt use the trademark, they had no right to keep it. If games worled the same way, the devs would have to keep some interest in the game (a patch here and there, a new bit perhaps, opening the source code :-) in order to keep their rights to the game. I wonder why they wont either release the code or actually develop the game? Could it be that they are unsure that a FL2 would make money but are also as scared that if someone else released it it could make a lot of money? However, the money in online gaming (in the view of some companies at least) is in the big ´you pay a monthly subscription to play´ games. Would anyone here pay $10 or $20 a month to play freelancer 2 online? You could be online with 100´s of people. What would that do to the FL community? If a game was making money via online subscription I doubt the devs would make it moddable and able to work on a small standalone server basis. I guess only time will tell. Perhaps another developer will bring out a decent game like freelancer.

• FL was going so well, so popular and was the best series before, really wonder why no FL2. edit: Now i understand, i guess games like EVE online is the new generation of FL... Edited by - skycom132 on 10/20/2005 11:52:09 PM

• I like EVE, nice game with alot better graphics. But i not gonna pay for monthly subscription to play. But anyway that´s how companies makes alot profits, on this way. -.- And i do hate how they copy the things/ideas from FL. Edited by - skycom132 on 10/24/2005 2:39:18 AM

• hiya there Imhotep. as lyk many thousands off people i also enjoy freelancer, ive completed it multiple times with variating mods. tis a brillent game yet there are many things thay can improve upon and it is to my current understanding that microsoft has branded freelancer as finacial flop and therefore no sequel is to be realesed. if i am wrong in any of that info please correct me. lyk u and many thousands, im wait hopfully that someone from mircosoft will stumble upon tis web site and find this forum. this may never happern and so either we all wait untill that day comes or we can capture their attension, there is a pertition on a different web site witha link to it on this in the forum " freelancer 2 online petition " it only takes 2 min of ur time and it could move towards a sequal. is EVE really the sequal blackhole? does it have any conction to the freelancer story ? characters? places? groups? any at all? coz if there is not conection then it cant b the sequal it would need some sort of relationship to freelancer. also i no this is off topic but, Wot is with companies makin us pay for mmo games that jus checky we buy the games why do we have to pay to pay? i can understand that there greedy pigs but cant they be happy that they make enough from the sales themselves?

• It is not a sequal, people. It is in the liking of one. It is the continuation of the idea that spawned FL. The free world, space sim, i mean, jeez, theres tons of stuff i can see they took from FL. It may not be the sequal in terms of storyline, development, or anything like that, but it is the continuation of the FL idea nevertheless. I still hate its guts, though.