ELITE Ship pack

• ELITE was the grandfather of all the space trading games you see today. Released in 1984 and written by David Braben & Ian Bell, the game introduced many concepts that we all take for granted in modern 3D space games and was a huge influence for the creators of EVE Online amongst others.

I played it when it came out and nobody had ever seen a 3D space game where there was actual combat, trading and travelling the universe all in one tidy little package. ELITE used wiremesh representations of the ships in the game, although later versions started to use shaded graphics on the models.

There hasn't really been a similar game like it to be honest, many have tried and been found sadly lacking. I'd like to say Freelancer came close, but in all honesty it didn't, although the basic principles were there. Freelancer offers the same ideas but in a much smaller universe, but the advantage Freelancer has is it looks a million times better.

With the 25th anniversary of ELITE, i've taken it upon myself to create an ELITE ship pack featuring all the models from the original game, kindly supplied by a gentleman called Griff who not only made these excellent models but textured them as well.

DOWNLOAD HERE: STRATEGYINFORMER download link

This version of the ship pack is intended as a modders resource only. It is NOT PLUG AND PLAY with original versions of Freelancer. These ships have to be manually added!

• Thx PB but the original textures were utter rubbish. Remember how long ago Elite was made? No version came close to the textures offered here. These are custom made and once FL has shader support with the DX9 plugin that's due hopefully this year, then i'll add all the extra details as well. These models and textures were actually made for a game called Oolite which is a modern remake if you like of Elite.

• Yeah, I was joking about the texture. The original ELITE didn't have any texture, it was wireframe wasn't it? I remember I had some similar game in my old school (it had extremely old PCs).

So theyre restoring ELITE and asked Gizmo studio to make models for them? Nice!

BTW the icons are not really freelancer-ish... But neither are the ships.

• The original version was wireframe only before later versions used filled textures like the PC version and Archimedes.

Nobody is restoring ELITE and nobody asked me to make a ship pack of those ships, that was my decision. I'd been looking for a while to find some good ELITE models when i ran across Griff, who made them for a fan made remake of ELITE called Oolite. I asked permission, got the models and converted them to FL format. Forgot to mention there's also a Coriolis space station model in there as well.

The thing with the icons, they were never meant to be as i'm making a total conversion mod atm where i've done the icons as i want and it's as far removed from FL as you can get. I'm just using the game engine that's all.