Freelancer Battle for Orion Mod

• Just an FYI...

Master or Orion was an old old old space fleet/empire building game...
    One of it's best features was that you could design the loadouts for your fleets ships, tailor different classes and models to different roles within your fleet.

There were 3 versions of MOO that I knew of, in fact when I saw the thread title, I thought "Hey, a MOO TC mod for FL, hmm"

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• due to a tech issue and 2days of re-installing my whole system I have lost my mod and so will no longer be working on it, however I do intend to start a new mod. but have not decided its background yet. thanks to all for your help, ill use what iv been taught in my next mod

Oh 1 more thing. I have upgraded to win7 and now I cant get my pc to connect to a server I am runing on the same pc. Freelancer gives me a mac address insted of an ip address. does anyone know how to get freelancer connected to a server on the same pc in win7?

• Yeah I had masters of orion but I wasnt trying to make a conversion mod of it. Orion is ment to be a planet that is rich in resource and extremely valuble to humans which is where my storyline was going, not the anteriens battle for orion from orion 2 lol but orion could make a good TC i must admit.

• later on I will agree with this. my work is not really for public as Im using it as a learning cerve. its simpley for self use, I was however uploading what I have done so that if others like it, they can take the bits they are interested in once it was completed. I dont think im ready to join a development team just yet. So many have their own ways of modding. I like to edit the freelancer files, iv known others script the whole mod. I def agree there are alot of mods out there that dont get played. mine is for personal use and a form of course for learning. I enjoy the chellenge and feel that I have achieved somethin when I see my work on the screen.

P.S. does anyone know how i fix my win7 server issue??

• If you need to run your server for testing purposes, you can use several ways to do this.

For a MAC address you mean a strange looking number and letter group like ashd31672ahs?

- You need the global server workaround
    - You need to open port 2302 on your router
    - Run FLServer
    - Enter ingame & do what you need to do

• i would agree here
    too many mod projects never get a chance to be actually played these days and end up nowhere
    it makes more sense to concentrate the work on big projects which have a good chance to become successful

This only makes sense if you're modding simply to be successful, not simply because you enjoy working on a project.
    I know personally, even should FL10K suddenly disappear (which given it's external hosting is unlikely xD) joining another mod team would not be on my to do list. I find modding enjoyable, but I feel that if I was modding to someone else's schedule, it would detract from the enjoyment a lot. I guess that's the handy thing about being the dev lead and all around guy that does all the coding. xD
    Oh, not to say that you shouldn't strive to be successful, but I don't think it should be the number one goal.

spuder , sad to hear about losing your work mate, I've had that happen to one of my stories I was writing and it was devastating. All I can say is good luck on your new project, the stuff you picked up from your old one should make the process much quicker. ;)

• Yeah Bob, and besides, a lot depends on your definition of successful, for some people its 'mod works, does whats intended, some peole like it enough to play it or borrow from it for their mods', for others its '50 servers around the world, with hundreds of people online, and new players arriving almost as fast as the old ones leave in disgust at the lack of fun..."

Horses for Courses as the saying goes.

Besides, how many common features of todays mods started as mad ideas on little league R&D/PoC mods from one modder dev teams, remember that mooring fixture POC moddette in the dl archive?

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• Success can be very motivating if you ask me.
    Im not modding because its so much fun to me... I can imagine one million more joyful things to do.
    However... I do it because I am good at it and because others enjoy my work. Doing something good that others can enjoy is my personal motivation.
    The result... in other words the success ... that is what I enjoy. The players and the members of the communities are the reason to keep going on.

Ok, thats not entirely true... I like modding ... but that would never be reason enough.
    With the words of master yoda "do or do not, there is no try".
    ... and seriously ... who would disagree with a tiny green..... bouncing... ehmm... gnome?

• OP made a short explanation of what I'm trying to do aswell. I do not mod for my own pleasure, but for the pleasure of many other players across the globe, that seek something that I think Continuum is the answer. Modding Freelancer isn't fun because someone said modding is fun, you must be motivated when you do it, or you'll lose your patience very often.

• Maybe the reason I prefer modding to running a mod is...

I work in IT support...

If I made a mod, finished it, put it up somewhere and people started using it, then I wouldn't be modding any more, I'd be providing tech support for my mod's 'customers', far far too much like my day job...

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• Heh, I guess I never did do things the way most people do when it comes to this sort of thing.
    The reason FL10K even exists is because myself and Echo wanted to give modding a go, and we basically brainstormed a bunch of things we'd want in a mod, and now strive to accomplish them. It's a learning experience more than anything.

In the end, when we're done, release the mod and put up an official server, we've accomplished what we've set out to do. If we get a playerbase enough to warrant continuing with the mod, then that's great and our focus will change from pleasing us to pleasing them.

In the end, we're operating under the assumption that we'll get zero active members. That doesn't mean we're cutting corners, but it means that every player will be a bonus on the metaphorical payslip of completing the mod. :D

EDIT: Okay, perhaps we do really look forward to running an active server, we are taking steps within the mod to promote that... But we're not taking it for granted. ;)

• Promote your server on Japanese forums. You'll see the boom of players when they'll hear zeppelins with cat ears. :D
    Promote your server on EU forums. And you'll have germans, italians, british, romanians, and french yelling at you.
    Promote your server in USA forums. And you'll get bitchslapped by them.

• Promote your server on Japanese forums. You'll see the boom of players when they'll hear zeppelins with cat ears. :D
    Promote your server on EU forums. And you'll have germans, italians, british, romanians, and french yelling at you.
    Promote your server in USA forums. And you'll get bitchslapped by them.

We Brits don't yell at people... It's Foreign.

We talk slightly too loud, in a commanding way...

"Don't you point that bloody spear at me..."

:P

Speaking of cat ears... hmmm a cat-ear zeppelin, needs a cat girl pilot mesh... hehe...

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• Hmm, I've got some cat eays and a tail, for sims 2, custom content, and the Warlock bodyshapes meshes...

34CEnhanced bust, 34 hip, heels, ears tail... have to pick some hair...

export em from simpe, import em into c4d, sort out the mesh, rig it, pose it.....

Doable

export as a cmp via milk...

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666