More FLE/FLMM problems, my computer's really messed up...

• Seems my computer likes to make as many problems as possible crop up. With my very limited knowledge of FLE I decided to appeal for help from the experts rather than poke around myself and end up sending my computer into meltdown. At the moment there are two three serious problems:

• I'm unable to establish a connection to two systems using jump holes/gates. I made a system, created a jump hole in that system and a linking one in Tau-23. When I try to use the one in Tau-23 it denies me docking access. I tried using jump gates to link the two systems instead, and when I docked with the gate in Tau-23 it made it half-way through the in-transit cutscene before the game crashes.
    • I edited the starsphere and other background effects of Tau-23 to experiment with what FLE is capable of doing. I'm unable to see the results of my experimentation however, as when I try to undock from Java I lose my connection to the server.
    • Whenever I name a new system and then try to apply the change, FLE doesn't like it. Tells me there's been an error, and then when I log into FLE next the name hasn't been applied.
    • Most recent problem: I can't deactivate a mod in Mod Manager. I activated the Nearly Invulnerable Shield Mod after the Discovery mod was unable to activate to test whether it was Discovery that was causing the problem or not. Now it seems I'm unable to deactivate the mod.

My operating system is Windows 7. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

• Winbloat Vast-7?

Eek, the game killer...

Ok, on behalf of anyone attempting to try and fix this, can I ask for some diagnostics info...

1. Where did you install Freelancer to, and ditto FLE, was it to subfolders of the 'program files' directory, where Vast-7's UAC will mess with any attempt to change data files? Not all the needed files might actually have been modded, the UAC shunting some file changes to some damm virtualisation folder in your user appdata.

Safest option - Install FL and any modding tools to subdirectories of c:/users/yourwindowsname/Games/
    Elimates Vast-7 UAC anti-mod foulups. Just running stuff with admin privs isnt always enough, vast-7 can be really evil.

2. I know there are features you want to write and test that need simulated MP, hence you playing on your own lan server, from another thread, but, for some things a decent open SP mod, is perhaps a better option, Stupid question but... did you remember to close down the server before putting in the new changes, not just the client? I've done that one myself now and then, easy to forget a minimised server window.

3. Crashes halfway through jump transition... Are the jumphole/gates at either end using the same 'gate tunnel' effects? That might be whats killing it

4. Can you post any details of the new systems starsphere and bg effects, if it's going down on undock, sounds like you may have edited something 'unrenderable', moment the game has to start thinking about how to draw what you told it, (undock or in the second half of an incoming jump transition) blammo, down she goes with a digital migraine.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• 1) Freelancer has its own folder in C: while FLE is installed in Program Files. I'll reinstall everything to that area now and see if that helps.

2) Heh, sounds like a silly thing I'd do, but I made sure to close down the server, make my edits and host a new server with a different name every time. Took a few attempts to actually do everything in the right order, with turning the mod on and off and the server on and off.

3) I don't know how to check which gate tunnel effect each hole/gate is using. Like I said in the previous thread, I really have no experience with this sort of stuff. ^^

4) I've copied the figures shown in a tutorial. The screenshots shown in the tutorial have all of the numbers I've copied down, and I've made sure they match.
    http://i499.photobucket.com/al…ohn-Sheppard/Picture2.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/al…ohn-Sheppard/Picture4.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/al…ohn-Sheppard/Picture5.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/al…ohn-Sheppard/Picture6.jpg

It's taken me a while to respond because I've been following the advice in your first question and trying to solve the issue. I may've sorted it but I need to test, but I've decided to post this now before the test.

@ Bobthemanofsteel: I'm not sure. I've made quite a few tests since that jump gate test and going through the data in FLSpew would take a while. If I need to perform another test like that I'll check what FLSpew tells me.

• Installing to a custom folder straight off C: will do as well, just as long as its not in progfiles where UAC can foul it up. FLE, I'd move it to , in your case

c:\freelancer\tools\fle\
    If I remember right it does system editing on it's own copy of the ini's so you can hand edit later then copy to the live data folder?????

If it's in a UAC fouled location like progfiles, that might mess up the files leading to glitches

Doesnt the gate tunnel effect appear in one of the dialogs for editing the things? I't usually 'bretonia' but if you havn't found that option its unlikely you changed it, so it's probably not that.

Hmm, try ditching FLE and use the FL System Editor, it was always better in my opinion

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• @Aesthetic: I heard that FL System Editor mixes up the .inis' and makes them much harder to read for the human eye. I'll try it if I get desperate.

@OP: I did find folders and files with padlocks. I managed to solve this, but until I sort my most recent problem I can't test it.

Most recent problem: I can't deactivate a mod in Mod Manager. I activated the Nearly Invulnerable Shield Mod after the Discovery mod was unable to activate to test whether it was Discovery that was causing the problem or not. Now it seems I'm unable to deactivate the mod.

Just restored the backups. Solved the problem. Silly me. >.>

• I presume you have FLSpit Tom?

If that's the case, it's a cinch to see what the problem is.

I know as soon as I have a CTD or the game acting like it shouldn't, FLSpit is the first place I go. I can't tell you the amount of times it's saved me waiting for responses on forums. :P

• Sorry for the late reply.

Bobthemanofsteel : I'm afraid I don't have FLSpit. And I may've accidentally deleted FLSpew on a recent reinstall of FL.

@OP: That worked beautifully.

My FLE problems seem to have been solved for now. Thanks for all the help guys.