Texture help needed

• Hiya folks. I recently started trying out some modeling by following an old tutorial guide by Drizz4.0 or something like that. His name might be Jeremiah Meyer instead, I am not sure.

Anyway, I know this tutorial was quite short due to him wanting it to be short, I'm just not very content with my ship's look. I have all the FL vanilla models and textures. I've tried some of them out on my ship, both for hull and windows... the problem is that I don't know how to resize them. They're absolutely massive when I assign them to polygon groups. I'm currently using Milkshape. (I also read you could do this in Gmax but can I resize them there?) Is there a way to change the resolution of the textures in Milkshape? Or do I have to do it myself in Photoshop or something?

• The thing you're looking for is UVM coordinates. The hotkey in Milkshape is either M or T, I just can't remember right now.

Since you followed this tutorial I can assume you're using Gmax. Gmax is based on 3Ds Max, so there are suppose to be tools for that. Texturing through Gmax would be easier.
    I suggest you to try it in Milkshape, and then in Gmax. if you find it comfortable in Milkshape (I think you won't) then keep working with it. If not, just post a reply and I'll see if I can help you.

Oh BTW, welcome to TLR!

• It's not that the textures are 'huge' but how much of the texture map is applied to a polygon. This is called UV Mapping.

Milkshape can edit uv mapping but frankly, milkshape is a little bit primitive in it's abilities, so you'll probably find it easier to uv map elsewhere as Poly suggested.

A commonly used option in 3d, is to export the mesh in a format such as wavefront obj, and uv map in a separate application, such as LithUnwrap, UVMapper, or RoadKill. Some of the uv mapping utilities are free, others shareware, others commercial, such as BodyPaint.

Here is a tutorial page on uv mapping, for clothing items in Poser, using Roadkill, by English Bob, that should give you an idea of how the basic process works...

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/uvmapping.html

And here is a page with links to a number of utilities, including RoadKill, and LithUnwrap

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/utilities.html

You can also pull up other tutorials with a simple google search for 'uv mapping'

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• I'd recommand you to follow the attached tutorial instead of Drizzt's one, since its not up-to-date...
    + it contains UV Mapping with 3Ds Max (same with Gmax).

• Yep, I've been using Gmax for the model as you assumed. Drizzt explained something about using milkshape for texturing but I don't remember what. It truly is frustrating to work with milkshape so I am now going to try texturing in Gmax. Also, if I have trouble with that, I will try those programs you listed, AestheticDemon!

And by the way, I am extremely grateful for your help! I mean, if this site and its people didn't exist, I'd give up instantly. Thanks again.

• I've never used the gmax uv tools, but as a general principle, most uv maping solutions in 3d apps, allow you to assign a texture to a group of selected polygons, or even a single poly...

However, milkshape prefers one material per mesh group, so, remember that when assigning materials, eash unicque material will need to be a separate group in milk, for export to FL.

If you want to set a single material for separated groups of polys, one here, one there sort of thing, that should be doable, certainly roadkill and lithunwrap can do this, this will almost certainly be easier than going it in gmax itself.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• Well, if Gmax has the same UV Mapping system as 3Ds Max, it won't be a problem. (BTW Nova's tutorial explains how.)
    As I said, Milkshape is difficult to use for UV mapping. If Gmax hasn't the mapping system, use what Demon wrote.

• Okay, I'm kinda sick of this... been slacking with the work and it's closing into a halt. Texturing the ship itself worked well but positioning them? No. It was nightmarish. Assigning groups to polygons worked well but then again, applying them was also hard. It took me a while to figure out and the result is messy. The ship is pretty big, a transport of some sort (mostly just a test) and some parts of it is hard to texture, such as angled side panels. The UV mapping on those end up disastrous.

I had no idea texturing would be this hard. But then I also think of all the .ini editing I need to do later on. It's put me in quiet contemplation if all this work really is worth it. That .txt tutorial wasn't very helpful either. Very short and somewhat lacking in detailed explanation. This isn't a fact, but it's what I think of it.

It would be easier for me to watch a video of how the process is done, it doesn't have to be advanced or anything, I just want to see the process, not described. It might've been my wild imagination's fault aswell, due to the ship's textures looking bad on most polygons.

Any help is utmost appreciated. Deep down, I want this to work. Then I could make all sorts of ships and then maybe even evolve this knowledge into something I can work with later on in life.

I attached a screenshot here too, opened in RoadKill. The front (on the sides) look bad with textures on them. It isn't textured in the picture.

• Looks like you just used the 'auto uv map' option and chose box mapping...

Works great with some simple meshes, but with something like a ship, basically you end up only using about 20% of your texture map on the polygons, with standard FL sized texture images, 256 x 256, that means you're texturing your ENTIRE ship with a block of pixels 256 wide by less than 64 high, which wil look bloody awful.

Now, I don't use roadkill myself as a rule, dont even have it installed, cos the modeling app I use has its own uv mapping tools which are completely different...

But...

1 Read the tutorial I posted a link to, see how it's done, there are pictures of the various steps, even tells you what key to press, and the item English Bob is mapping has far more angled bits than your ship...
    2 Since your ship is slightly different to a dress for poser, with a much lower poly count, it should actualy be easier to map...
    3 Don't just select all faces and hit 'auto map - type whatever'...
    4 Remember that your ship will have more than one texture image, so rather than using 'cookie cutter' mapping (all the bits like little cookies cut out of a sheet of dough) you want to use overlapped mapping, all the bits that will share the same texture laid out over the whole image, all the hull panels that will use the same 'hull panel' texture, laid out on top of each other so one painted panel will texture them all, etc...

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666