Make Wireframe

• Gooday all, I checked the old make_wire tutorial that was reposted and followed it to the T. About 3 times over, and all I get when I call up the target is a mess of lines. Also, at the end of that tutorial, step7, it says to export vmeshwire.dat from the .3db section of the ships actual cmp and hex the radius value - why? Im no expert and know almost nothing about this stuff or modeling but that just changes the actual size of the ship doesn't it?

Its not my own model but I cleaned off all the unecessary parts (for the wireframe that is) and made sure there are no unwelded areas, i got it down to a very very basic wireframe cmp but it still doesn't show up right.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? any help be great thx

• OK no worry. I got em to work. the mess of lines was a result of importing the incorrect vmeshdata and the invisible wireframe, well thats cause you gotta resize the exported single group wireframe.cmp back up to original size BEFORE getting the vmeshdata to import into the actual models cmp.

• Always best to export at a 1.0 scale, 'specially if you've been grinding away for 18 hrs and becoming more prone to little mistakes ;-/

I keep a copy of 1.7.6 installed with the CMP importer plugin loaded so it's easy to grab a model of similar size for reference scale.

• If it's an improvement I wouldn't think anyone would mind. There are quite a few reposted tutorials around. Just include credit for the original author.
    As for the wireframe itself, the Direct3d Mesh reduction tool in Milkshape comes in handy. Take her down till it's just barely noticable / still holds the key appearance elements. After all, the view a player gets is pretty darned small.

• True. I took the liberty gunship from the wts mod and made a wireframe without reducing the polys and it looks almost solid in target view lol.

But the mesh reduction tool makes it look a bit warped so I made a simple box model around the ship and just chiselled it and stuff into more or less the same shape, looks cool and barely noticeable. Then again, I aint gonna stare at the target view all day so who cares if one or two detailed bits aren't there.

Think I will make a short tutorial, i can do the wireframe thing from milkshape to ingame in under 5min so I can write it out my head.

Thanx for all the help little guy :D