Changing the HUD gauge colors??

• Hi all, got a wee problem here. I know that certain components of the hud are editable (like changing colors) but I have extracted the textures for the gauges (power, shield and hull, you know, those dull ugly spaced out bars at the bottom centre :) ) to brighter ones but nothing.

I not much of a hex editor (not all really) but I even made it so the exe looks for hullguage.3db <-(intentional respelling to point to my hullguage.3db) instead of hullgauge.3db and no avail.

So my question is: are these color values hardcoded? Ive tried checking the exe for the hex values from photoshop for the original colors but nada. I even tried to make the original ones use ec values (emissive - glowmaps) just to spice em up but also no change.

Where is this elusive value that needs to be hexed? I did check the exe modifications but it only tells how to change the widh of the bars, well I found that out while trying other things anyway, in fact I had the bars extend from left to right across the entire screen, cool but cluttered.

Anyone got any idea?

• OK so I presume this is something either untouched or possibly long abandoned. I know (at least i think i do) more or less where in the exe these values could be but honestly don't know what to look for or even what to change.

Even just the slightest idea would be greatly appreciated.

• Quote from "aden"

OK so I presume this is something either untouched or possibly long abandoned. I know (at least i think i do) more or less where in the exe these values could be but honestly don't know what to look for or even what to change.

Even just the slightest idea would be greatly appreciated.

May you can show some pictures what you want to edit ?

In fact, I can't understand what you mean. :oops:

• Sorry if I wasn't clear about this but I figured these are the only color HUD gauges on the screen: [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->newark.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Hope this helps. :lol:

• Quote from "aden"

Hope this helps. :lol:

Thanks, that is fine, now I know your question. :D

I never saw any mod change this, but I guess maybe edit :

\DATA\INTERFACE\hud.ini

in somewhere.

• Already checked that file dude, nothing exists about the gauges. perhaps a new type of entry could be added but i wouldn't have a clue as to what it could be.

As i said i changed the actual textures, the names in the exe and even ec values on the original files. I just cannot change it.

Oh, well, guess no-one knows then. If i figure it out i will inform the masses.
    swear.

• I have tried applying textures to certain parts of that texture you are talking about (Yes, yes, exactly what you are talking about) - but to no avail.

Therefore, either we missed out on something, or the texture is unused, and the gauge is actually just rgb values on top of one another.

• I once tried to look for this part, including searching for exe file, but very regrettable, I have not found.

As I say, I have not found yet so far which mod is revised here, so I think this is a part difficult to solve. :(

• Quote from "BBalazs"

...either we missed out on something, or the texture is unused, and the gauge is actually just rgb values on top of one another.

Thats what I think as well but i searched for the hex values of each gradient in the 3db files, its the right values im sure but i dont know what type of value (floating point, integer, wateva) to look for or how to convert the colors hex value anyways.

If that makes any sense to you..

• Quote from "aden"

Thats what I think as well but i searched for the hex values of each gradient in the 3db files, its the right values im sure but i dont know what type of value (floating point, integer, wateva) to look for or how to convert the colors hex value anyways.

If that makes any sense to you..

Hi aden, there has a good news !

Here have what you want of answer :

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://the-starport.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=403.msg4246;topicseen#new">http://the-starport.net/index.php?optio ... icseen#new</a><!-- m -->

• whao, i thought this was lost in the abyss.

man, now if only it didn't say excluded.net....

is that starport or what site is that?

thx for the trouble anyways jong, much appreciated.

• AH, so it is starport. I found it there. well this is what I have also found, still no way to change the hud gauge colors.

Tho it does give me an idea of what to search for in exe, not hex rgb values, decimal.

• After looking at this thread (and the similar thread in Star-port) and earlier noticing the textures myself (but not bothered enough to actually change them) I thought I'd finally have a look. Expecting it to be a bit difficult to find, it turned out to be quite trivial. I guess that's the difference between searching for bytes and looking at a disassembly. :)
    Anyway, FL Hack now has an option to change the colors of the gauges, as well as their order.