How do I get FL to work on LAN

• Hi all, Help please.
    I must be the dumbest Freelancer in the universe.
    I've played FL over and over many times and also played many mods in SP which I always enjoy way more than MP.

I have tried 4 multiplayer mods over the years but disliked it.
    My time in MP in clans was spent more like a guard dog boreingly protecting our system, or restricted to the systems not clan owned which limited it's appeal to me so I stopped playing online, as I much prefare the full enjoyment of exploring every system freely as in SP.

Here lies my problem.
    I have never ever been able to get Lan or FLserver to work on my PC.
    I have never been able to try the multiplayer only mods and would like to.

I run FLServer, name it but have never seen any come up in the list when I try Lan or Multiplayer.

I see many Mods on the multiplayer list but never whatever I named, and nothing ever shows up on LAN.

What should I be doing ? or have the Nomads infected my PC ?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

• I set mine up to run the 88 Flak mod by following the instructions here below:

Q: When I start up SP Mode, I just get a message stating that "Flak has no SP Mode! Run a multiplayer server instead - look in the SP Mode FAQ in the Readme for help."
    A: Indeed, Flak does not support OpenSP any longer due to conflicts with OpenSP's content.dll and Flak's content.dll files. All attempted work-arounds to this failed, so OpenSP was simply tossed.
    The workaround for this is to just start up a multiplayer server (run flserver.exe in Freelancer's EXE folder, by default C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\flserver.exe) and connect to it via LAN in the multiplayer menu.
    The performance hit is ignorable, and you never have to worry about your save-game being deleted for any reason (since it's just an MP character instead)
    This finally has the added benefit of multiplayer wingmen / AI Companion Bots (which only work in multiplayer), designed to aid solo pilots.

Q: The computer I play Flak on has no internet / network access! When I run a server it doesn't show up under the server browser for LAN or internet!
    A: If this is the case, run a server normally, and then run freelancer.exe with "-slocalhost:2302" (no quotes), which will allow you to connect to your server with no LAN/internet connection.
    An example of this would be - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -slocalhost:2302

Q: I tried what you mentioned above, but the server still doesn't show up under my server list!
    A: I personally have run into this problem with FLServer sometimes. If it isn't a bother to do so, temporarily un-plugging your computer from the network usually fixes this.
    If you run into this issue with Linksys routers, like I did, upgrading the router firmwire (if you know how) will also fix this.

Q: I tried what you mentioned above, and it worked, but people are joining my server and I don't want them to!
    A: The answer to this is simple - when you start FLServer.exe, there is an option called "Make this server internet accessable" - simply un-check this option and no-one from the internet will be able to join your server.

Q: Isn't hosting a multiplayer server and playing on it on the same computer make Freelancer run badly?
    A: Not at all. As long as you're the only player on the server, the server only has to send information to you - and you're on the same computer. Thus, with no other computers to communicate with, the CPU hardly has to do any work at all with the server.

Hope this helps!!
    LW

"A little excitement in an otherwise dull day..."

• Nice instructions, any chance that anyone else might be able to read them? Blue on Black is not the best colour choice

• Running your server on a LAN?
    I had the same problem doing an initial set up. It had everything to do with the firewall settings on the modem. I to find out what my modem settings were and allow for the Freelancer Server with respective ports.
    It is especially useful knowing what your IP address is, even more useful to have a "static IP" address.

• Quote from "Gibbon"

Nice instructions, any chance that anyone else might be able to read them? Blue on Black is not the best colour choice

Right Gibbon - sorry 'bout that folks - moving too fast and too much multitasking yesterday.

• Hi Sorry if i am hijacking this thread, I used to play FL a long time ago and have recently re installed it i have been enjoying the SP but when i try MP on internet it just says connecting to global server............. and doesn't come up with a list of servers to choose from like it used to. I have created my own server so that i can play without the story mode but i would like to get back into MP play as well can anybody help.

Thanks,

Dogstar

• I believe you'll need the Global Server Workaround - the system won't let me upload it right now, but it can be had. If you still don't have it in a few days, we'll find a way to get it to ya. Later -
    Lancerwarrior

• Hi Again, thanks for all your help and good advice unfortunately I am still no better off and non the wizer.
    I tried to use the Flak88 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -slocalhost:2302 a few months back but couldn't get it to work.
    I tried again today but all that does is bring up all my PC's C drive folders showing other all folders as well as the Programs folder so I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to do after that.
    I disconnected my connection to my modem and started FLS the FL Clicked Multiplayer, then chose Lan and nothing is listed.
    I re connected to my modem started FLS then FL and clicked FL Multiplayer, then Lan and I see a lot of sites listed but not anything I named.
    As I said before I must be the dumbest Freelancer as neither my friends nor I can seem to get it to work.
    Oh yes, I do have the global server workaround installed every time I re install FL.
    Thanks again everyone for your help.

• Quote from "dogstar"

Hi Sorry if i am hijacking this thread, I used to play FL a long time ago and have recently re installed it i have been enjoying the SP but when i try MP on internet it just says connecting to global server............. and doesn't come up with a list of servers to choose from like it used to. I have created my own server so that i can play without the story mode but i would like to get back into MP play as well can anybody help.

Thanks,

Dogstar

Dogstar, go to this site <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fllistserver.com/news/">http://fllistserver.com/news/</a><!-- m --> and follow the instructions there. When you have done that you can connect to MP servers again.

• Looks to me that you have some local windows firewall enabled who prevents access to local host on some ports.
    Try disabeling the firewalls, and change "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -slocalhost:2302" in to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -s127.0.0.1:2302" Could be that your hostfile is ****** 127.0.0.1 is exactly the same as localhost but that without name resolution.

Btw, your not running on Windows Vista by any chance? If you do. please check out this thread <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.lancersreactor.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=622">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=622</a><!-- l -->

• Never disable your firewall.
    Disable it and you leave your pc with it's pants down around its ankles;
    along with a bar of soap and a sign that says "welcome all who enter".

It is much better to "permit" FL and FL server to pass instead.
    ALSO:
    1. If you are using DSL or Cable, talk with a service rep of your IP provider,
    they are always willing to help you set up your modem correctly.
    2. If you don't have a "Static" IP address, this means that whenever you restart your connection,
    the address changes which requires everyone who
    logs on to get your new address. (a real pain in the *** )
    3. This also means that whenever you want to launch your own private server
    for your personal use, you have to find out what your address is to plug into
    the fldirect for your server to show up. (especially true for wireless).
    (I know this part because I once used a wireless internet modem "Sprint". )

• Thank's everyone,
    You've all helped me in different ways.

I am using XP Professional, I wouldn't touch Vista myself.
    I have tried with and without out firewalls on and no luck either way.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -s127.0.0.1:2302 put me in the same place with all the folders on C drive as
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe -slocalhost:2302 did,
    I don't have a static IP address so I can see more problems there.
    And unfortunately my ISP ( which I am in a locked contract for ages yet ) hasn't been very helpful or knowledgable in the past.
    Anyway we tried so thanks everyone for that.

I have decided to put the LAN idea in the "too hard basket" until I buy another PC.
    Til then I'll keep trying out all the great FL mods that have SP or allow open SP.

Thank's again for your help, time and advice.
    Have a great day.

Another day in Sirius is another day in Paradise.

Cheers