How-To Guide For Most Freelancer Problems With Vista

• [center]Steps To Get Freelancer To Work With Vista[/center]

1) Go into your control panel, select add/remove programs, and remove all Anti-Virus softwares completely.
      2) Download and install an anti-virus that has been founded to be Freelancer compatible. So far the only one known is AVG Free.
      3) After you have completed all of this, go to freelancer.exe, and right click it, scroll down and click "Properties". Once that has loaded up, click the Copatability tab, then near the buttom, check "Run as an administrator." Here is a picture of where to find it;
      [center][/center]
      4) After you have done all this, restart your computer one more time.
      5) Start Freelancer.

[center]Steps To Get Freelancer Mod Manager To Work With Vista[/center]

1) Perform all the steps listed above to get Freelancer to work with Vista.
      2) Do the same thing as step 3 from above, but for FLModManager.exe.
      3) Start Freelancer Mod Manager

[center]Steps To Running A Freelancer Server With Vista[/center]

1) Do everything as listed above to Get Freelancer Working With Vista, and if you want to run a mod over the server, Get Freelancer Mod Manager Working With Vista.
      2) Run FLServer in administration mode, as shown above.

[center]How To Mod Freelancer With Vista[/center]
    The only way anyone with Vista is able to modify it is to either know how to go into the system files and reset all the permissions of the C:/ drive manually, or run it on a secondary hard drive / partition. Standard Vista has the C:/ drive so locked down that it itself cannot even removed or modify Freelancer. The only way to completely uninstall Freelancer is to first run through the uninstall program, then to manually go back and delete the files. Here's a picture of what I've done to my two 110GB HDD's in order to get everything on them to work with Vista.
    [center][/center]

I also want to make note that even though past Windows OS's (95, 98, 98 SE, ME, 2000, 2003, and NT) made a difference to whether you're using a desktop or laptop, but as I am on a laptop, and have talked to others, XP and Vista work the same way on both.

If anyone has any other problems, either post them below, email me, PM me, or as everyone can see, I have every Instant Messenger known, so just contact me on that.

• As to the antivirus software. i´m using Avira Antivir Personal and had nor problems except for some worng alerts with the Crossfire dlls. So maybe this could be tested too.

• Most Vista connection issues to games lies in the IPv6 config.
    Especialy with running a server.

follow <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B929852&x=12&y=11">http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 ... &x=12&y=11</a><!-- m --> to disable certain IPv6 options. Or jus disable it completely in the network config.

FL uses the windows IP stack and with Vista IPv6 is hardcoded in the OS.
    Also disabeling the Firewall, or atleast let certain UDP ports through has to be done.

• I'm finally on XP as well, and it took forever for me to stop using '98 SE. When I made the switch it was a question of what it is I use my computer for the most, which was games and movies so it seemed a natural kind of progression. Vista has been out a good while now and its still a big mystery to me.

• I'm running 64bit Vista Ultamate with 8gig. I installed Freelancer on a 1 gig ramdrive with startup and shutdown load/save. Wow, what a kick. I have not used a mod yet but the base install is super quick. 2.14 coreDuo 1600 by 1200 on two HD4850's in CrossfireX. Sweet.

• Quote from "victor_cole"

I'm running 64bit Vista Ultamate with 8gig. I installed Freelancer on a 1 gig ramdrive with startup and shutdown load/save. Wow, what a kick. I have not used a mod yet but the base install is super quick. 2.14 coreDuo 1600 by 1200 on two HD4850's in CrossfireX. Sweet.

I have 64 bit vista on my PC as well and 8gb. I cant get it to even launch for me. Clean install.

• Hopefully Windows 7 will be better...

I found something on the Discovery Forums that might be interesting to look at.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9310
    When it says disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, I don't think you have to do that. For Windows Firewall, just add Freelancer to the list of exceptions and see if that works first. As for Windows Defender, don't disable it unless it doesn't let you play Freelancer, but I don't think that it should do that.

Notice how that post says Avast doesn't work on Freelancer. Well, there's another thread that explains how to get it to work (the writer of the first post retired, so he can't edit it to say that Avast can work and this one was written by someone else).
    http://discoverygc.com/forums/…?showtopic=26630&hl=Avast

Hope this helps.

• i just want to say that i can now play freelancer and activate the mod's whitout problmes, the only problem is even whit GLS activate, i can't play on server, i can see the list of servers but not to enter on them, but SP work and I DIDN'T REMOVE THE ANTIVIRUS(very anoing , because it don't made sence to unistal the antivirus every time you want to play FL)

how i fix my problem well i found the answer on microsoft tech. suporte on there web, but i will write a small tut, for all the ppl that have vista and want to use FL(SP mode not MP),FLE,FLMM on vista
    by the way my software is in portuguese so i will traduce the names for englis they should be similare, and this tut. aloud you to fix eny problem (at least Ms say that it fix all the problems to older games/programs) whit othere games not only FL( i use this method to run eny game of MS or othrere company).

button start-> press the help and suport button( is located just above the button's that you use to blocakde de PC, turn off the Pc,etc), then on the search for help bar , write Troubleshoot game problemse , yes problemse! write this Troubleshoot game problemse and then you will have a list of options.

press the eight option called 'games resolution problem', then press the second option called 'old games don't run' folow the link (there is only on link)

press next and you have 3 options search maualy were you copy and paste the name of the game folder path after you have instaled on Pc, search for the list of all programs instaled on your Pc and search form the CD.rom .

select the option 1 or 3 if you have instaled the game alredy , if not select the 2 option then instal the game(try to instaled the game before try option2 in order to save time) , after instaled you need to use the option1 or 3 in order to alound the game to run, so after instal do the same as write abouve but this time take option1 or 3.

now if you select option1 you will have the list of all the programs that you have instaled on for computer select it press next and them chouse windows xp (or eny of the SO that you may like it , next, next( if is a old game you may change the resolution and othere option but 'next' will be just fine, if not you can return to the old menu and change the option) and most important you will found a page asking to you if you whant to run the game as admin, to that ... and then the program will be lunshed automatic, exit the program and you will find a msg, say if you want to keep the chaneges or not , save the changes by selecting the last option.

you also recive a msg asking if the game is runig well or not if not select it and change the resolution or othere options(for old games) if it run well select 'yes' then you will recive a msg asking if you like to send the report to MS, 'no' or 'yes' and select finish.

if you select option3 you have to add the game path like( c:\programs\microssoftgames\freelancer) i use option3 since the option1 will became slower after add more game to the list, after that do the steps i mentioned for option1, press next chouse the windows xp etc...

you have to do this every time you want to run a old game, as i have write i can use the mod's ,acivate them whit out errors but i can´t play on MP, FLE and FLMM run well whit this but so far i can play eny game FL or not , on MP i can't play eny game execpt onlyMP game like puzzle pirates

• hey all i havent really been on FL for a while but i couldnt help but notive someone saying the only compadible AVP is AVG?? well if you would like an Excillent AVP and Internet security programme that is compadible with 100% of the games (iv been playing FL for over 8 years and iv never had a problem with FL and Kaspersky conflicting) As i just said Kaspersky is one of the best... its loads quicker efficiant and resource friendly AVP and IS iv found so far and like i said iv had no probs over the last 8 years of playing =) and iv had no probs with FL and Vista so far its a lil laggy and glitchy for a while but after about 10min of playing it gets better you can also tell Vista to run FL in 98 which also speeds it up alot =)

hope this helps

DeathSword

• I've discovered something with FLMM. If you want to play mods, you must launch Freelancer from FLMM, not from it's own executable. I'm not sure why, but it works.

New mod under devolpment -
    Systems - 11/100
    Items - 0/?
    Ships - 0/?
    Back Story- Almost done.

Any help would be appericated.

• i have never had a problem getting it to run with any AV. i have a problem with the video going nuts on any popup window in the game. with all of the mods and stuff can't anyone fix the most common problem?

• I find that rather strange. I've been running FL on Windows ME, XP, Vista and 7 and never ran into that problem. What videocard do you have and are the drivers the most recent ones?