1001BeforeFP7.zip, mod help

• Hello, I'm having trouble with this mod. If anyone knows this mod, I would appreciate some help.
    I finally made it to "Freeport 7" and talked to "Lonigan" in the bar. I paid him for the info and whereabouts of the "Boron" shipment. After receiving the location and flying out there, I find that the "damaged transport" is empty. There are 3 Startrackers and 1 Hawk wrecks out there also and all of them are empty. I also encountered some Corsairs while at the wreck site. The first time I went out there, I ran back to FP7 instead of fighting the Corsairs, and went back into the bar to see if there was more info there, but to no avail. So I flew back out to the wrecks and killed every Corsair that I saw, went back to FP7 and still no further info and no Boron was retrieved. So what did I do wrong?
    Thanks in advance!

• I've downloaded but not played this yet. It does say in the readme file that you need to find Robert Kunz in the bar on Kurile (however it says that you find this out in the bar on FP7). I suspect the author documented it step by step, so if you forget one step you have an alternate way to pick it up. It also says you need to be friendly with Republican Shipping before he'll show up in the bar *shrug*

Let us know how it goes. I'm busy messing around with Discovery v4.83 at the moment.

• Okay, Thanks Bink!
    I read the "readme" for the mod. And yes you need a good reputation with Republican Shipping (and I do have a good rep with them), and I also talked to the guy on planet Kurile.
    I've read the authors notes also but it doesn't really give any step by step instructions. But you can't find out the location of the Boron shipment/damaged transport unless you've got a good rep with Republican and enough money to get the info, you have to pay for the info. I've done all of that, otherwise I wouldn't even know about the damaged transport. So I guess what I need help with is this:
    What do I do after meeting with the guy on FP7 and paying for the info and actually going to the location of the "damaged transport"?
    Thanks again Bink!
    I welcome help with this from anyone! Thanks!

• My bad, I thought those were more or less the steps :) I'll give it a try myself in the next week or so if you find your still stuck. If on the other hand you figure it out, spill the beans!

Don't leave us hangin' :)

• once you have looted the transport ship with the security codes in it then go to Freeport 7.
    Once there go to the bar and you will see lonigan, if you apcept his mission then freelancer continues to the normal story and you arrive on manhattan as a survivor of the Freeport 7 incident.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• This mod is a complete WASTE OF TIME!
    I really do NOT get the point in this mod, and I wonder why the Author wasted his time making it!
    I started a new game with this mod because I felt that I had done something wrong, still not sure what I did wrong. But on the second try I was able to find the "Security Key Code" on the damaged transport which I then took back to FP7. I went into the Bar and talked to Lonnigan. At that point you are given a choice, Accept Lonnigan's offer of 1 million credits in exchange for the Security Key Code or decline the offer. Of course I accepted it. Once you Accept the offer, you will receive the 1 million credits. Nothing left to do except leave FP7 at this point. So I launched and that's when the story line begins.
    After arriving at planet Manhattan as a survivor, I only had $500 credits!! I can understand the fact that I lost my ship because it was docked at FP7 when the base was destroyed, but to lose the 200k credits that I had, not to mention the 1 million credits that I got from Lonnigan, really sucks. I mean, I can understand losing my ship and I can understand losing the 1 million credits, I guess, but to lose the rest of the credits too!?!? That's BS!! So what's the point in this mod? Complete and total waste of time!

• That's unfortunate dude! Yeah, I hate to admit it myself but we all know there are a coupla weird mods in the pile. It bothers me most though when you find one that's kinda half n' half, where you enjoy some of it but not all of it and you sorta wish for an easier way to screen the best of the best (a counter for the most downloads is kinda helpful but not always).

I'm having a hard time with the Discovery one atm. First was on 4.83, now I'm on 4.84 to scope the changes between the two (4.85 is on its way incidentally). Mostly where it comes to trying to launch big ships out of cramped stations. I know these things aren't always fool proof, however I notice more success with big ships if they are sold and launch from planets more often than not. Even if you can accept not all ships can dock absolutely everywhere, its more of a bummer when you can't lift off in the first place.

• I hear ya Bink!
    And I agree, mods are never really fool proof. I like to try new mods because I've been playing Freelancer for a few years (off and on) really since it first came out. And the vanilla version is just too boring now. But most of the mods are very large files and since I'm on dialup it makes it hard to "experiment" with alot of the mods because of their size. Any mod that is 5mb or larger is hard to download because I lose my connection before it completes. Even when I do complete the download after 2+ hours, sometimes I end up not liking the mod so it ends up being another waste of time. And very few of the mods listed in the downloads section have a description, therefore you really do not know what it is until you download it.
    I used to play online alot a couple of years ago but it got to the point where people would complain when I joined a server for MP because I created lag. My only other choice for internet is Satelite, but even with the faster speed there would be lag because the signal has to be bounced off of the satelite. So now I'm limited to SP play. I guess we are getting off topic here, but since it's my thread I hope noone minds.
    I have FLMM 1.4 beta and would like to try out some more mods. But since there are very few descriptions of what the mods are it makes it hard for me to decide which mods to try. Other than the mod that I mention in this thread I've also been playing the "New Sirius Order" mod. That's a fun mod, but I've pretty much played it out. So now I'm looking for some others to try. Any suggestions of what mods I may like? Remember, I need small file sized mods.
    Thanks!

• I hear ya on the file sizes. Although I've gone from dial-up to DSL in the past couple of years, I still find I gravitate more to small files - stuff like weapons only mods n' things. Sometimes those can be fun too if all you do is revisit the single player missions with the new toys.

One of my favorite weapon mods for instance is the advanced beam one (there's at least 3 I downloaded that do the same thing but slightly different - all change the justice mk 1 gun and/or its turret. The one I like the most is the one that has the TIE Fighter description for its weapon). Playing with a weapon like that for so long, when you change back to vanilla FL or a mod that re-balances the guns more equitably, its one of those things where you miss it during play:)

Anyway, just to glance at my mod manager and what I got on it, I'll try to recommend a couple - bear in mind I don't know the file sizes off hand but there might be something you haven't tried...

All Ships Available for the Storyline (has other changes like gives them all lvl 10 weapon slots, armor and power, more storage).

The Ptah gunship - I've seen it in Discovery slightly stripped down, as well as in one of the Tekagi mods, but you can find the ship as a standalone add on. One of my all time favorite ship mods. No docking/launching problems that I've found. It may also be stackable on some other mods. For instance, I installed it after Discovery 4.83 and 4.84, and all it did was replace the Rhino on Pittsburgh, so its usable in those so far. It doesn't affect the other renamed Ptah gunship that is at one of the Molly bases in Newcastle - so if you wanted the stripped down version, you got both there if you stacked 'em. Helps too that they're on different bases which is why I think it worked at all.

Freelancer Ship Armor v1.0 - another separate download, also stackable on most other mods I've tried.

Nearly Invulnerable Shields Mod - again, something you could stack on some other mod you want to try. Generally I use these two to try out other mods assuming they'll install over top of something. Same deal with the gunship or the beam weapon. I find these few sorta invaluable when evaluating other mods and you want to avoid a lot of drawn out gun play.

Anyway, don't know what you have already to recommend something else but I've got quite a bit installed. I'm still using the 1.3 FLMM manager dealy. Never upgraded it yet - not quite sure if I need to.

Oh yeah, one last one that I used with Discovery and stacked ok. If you're playing that single player and you're having trouble racking up enough cash in relatively short order, there's one called Mine Nomad Energy Blasters BETA - it lets you mine these in the Pittsburgh Debris Field for a little extra cash. Its slightly more annoying to use as get rich quick mod since you have to select each weapon in your inventory then click sell. Its a bit tedious so its probably most useful in ships with lower storage. (Oh yea, in Discovery, most level 10 weapons now take up cargo space).

Only reason I bring that one up is my usual go-to get rich quick mod is Lazy Lancer. It doesn't stack too well with most mods since it adds more than just commodities, it adds another ship at Pittsburgh which is why it won't always work since most ship modders will generally use New York bases to place 'em in. It has a nice built in rep fix though - kill a ton of Xenos and everybody likes you except Nomads.

3rd edit: Heh, always finding one more :) The stand alone Speed Mod is also quite useful and stacks on many mods. It has 3 separate cruise speeds, ranging from 600, 1200 (and I forget the third, but its probably too fast!). You can also have realistic or regular afterburn speed. Some maps are just way too big and very empty like in Discover (though I know many are meant as Guard or clan systems to fight in). Invaluable for scouting. Though not so good in single player. 600 cruise speed seems to be the best one to use in SP.

• Thanks Bink!
    In my opinoin, stick with the 1.3 version of FLMM. The 1.4beta4 version that I have is in Beta form, and I don't think it ever got finalized or whatever. I can't find a link for any FLMM except for version 1.3 now that the old TLR doesn't exist, even filefront.cm doesn't have it. So although 1.4beta4 works fine, I'd stick with 1.3. just my opinion there!
    Thanks for the suggestions on some mods to try. I do have most of the ones you suggested already, some of them came already loaded in FLMM.
    I tend to go for the mods that add new systems, open the jump holes, make the NPCs more challenging or add new ships. I don't really care for the mods that improve on weapons, it's easy enough already to kill any NPCs in the game with the weapons unmodded. I'm an experienced player, so killing Nomads is very easy to me, I've found that the most challenging kills that I've found in mods that I've tried are the Liberty Navy ships (dreadnoughts and cruisers) in the "New Sirius Order" mod. If you haven't tried that mod, give it a try! If you get a bad rep with liberty Navy, you will have a good fight on your hands when you come across the Navy in Liberty space. And you best have a class 10 shield! Also if you try that mod, make sure you leave the "Transition Scripts" turned on in the Freelancer options, otherwise you will experience crashes when you visit the "Captured Nomad Bases" that are located in various systems. When you try to talk to the robots at those bases if the Transition Scripts are off, the game will crash. I figured that out myself because it was happening to me and the mod creators didn't even know what the problem was!! LOL

• I forget which Order mod I've tried, but if you're talking about the one that has a lot of Order NPCs flying around in the Omicron systems with bases here and there that look like the weapons platforms in the final mission, I've done that one. I enjoyed that one for the distribution and the inclusion of Order NPCs. I wish there was more of that going on too in other mods. Gives otherwise empty systems from the game and not (if they're new) a sense of life to them, and hopefully a challenge.

I think my only regret with mods like that, that let you land on new bases an such, or unlocks story bases - there's nothing to do with 'em. If you're lucky, maybe an equipment dealer, but no bar/mission stuff, or no commodity dealers.

Discovery is quite nice and I like the system designs (to exclude the ones that look empty but have jump holes and like one base - I know that's mainly for clan business or fighting it out with large ships with minimum of obstructions like asteroid fields). I think so far, just to talk Discovery since I'm still playin' it - its well laid out in terms of systems and such. My only sticking point as I mentioned were the large ship issues, flying them off bases in the first place. I wish the majority of those were based on planet sellers and not space station sellers.

So far, the best thing I can do is try out each big ship, and find out through trial and error which ones can launch and land at which bases - then base my trade routes on that fact. Which means remembering to save my games more frequently when I do that. Or, hope that by chance you landed on a base with a ship dealer selling a small ship that'll let you escape that particular problem at that particular time.

Currently I'm flying the Firefly ship from the show purchasable at New London in Discovery 4.84 and already I can tell you it can't launch from bases that look like Detroit with the four doors that open inwards - gets stuck every time. But that's not all bad news. Plenty of trade routes I can form up from the bases I know it can work with.

So I don't know if you want to try it but I can tell you the mod has a lot to offer, and like I said, a few smaller mods can stack over it if you're doing this single player. Something you should keep in mind if you do - if you want to fly the bigger ships sooner rather than later, do it Open Single Player - it'll take ages to do it the regular way (which I suppose is like that for the multiplayer part - keeps ya playin' longer). Anyway, you can set your starting cash among other things and its got like a $2 billion cap. A side thing I think is nifty off the top of my head - I love the idea of credit cards in-game.

Anyway, maybe between the two of us if we volunteer to try to get mod descriptions put in for the files here, maybe we can find out which ones would be some of the top recommendations for download while we're at it? Just a thought.

• The New Sirius Order mod that I spoke of, adds the Battleship Osiris to all four main house systems, i.e. New Berlin, New York, New London and New Tokyo. Also adds the Order NPCs to each of those systems as the Order is based at the Battleships. Easy kills, if you want your rep to be bad with the order but it has no affect on your rep with the nomads, which seems odd to me since the Order is the Nomads biggest enemy. The mod also adds the Nomad homeworld system, Omicrons Major and Minor complete with planet Toledo (order base). As well as Captured nomad field bases in a few systems. Also unlocks all jump holes and makes the unfinished jump gate in Hokkaido link to a new jump gate in Tohoku near Tekageis Base. Also makes the Nomad City dockable (supposedly) but I've never been able to dock there because it's always red(hostile). And there are other additions, such as the Liberty Navy weapons being strong enough to rapidly drop class 10 shields! And the NPCs regenerate shields and drop batts and bots. Also adds a few ships, Ultra Titan, Super Sabre, Anubis Trainer, Anubis Ultra etc. And no there is no Super Eagle, they left the eagle unchanged. You'll have to play the mod to find those added ships because I can't remember where all of them are sold. I only use the Eagle, as soon as I can afford it!

I'd be willing to try some of the smaller mods and give descriptions for them if it would help, but as I stated in the thread that I created in the Feedback section, the readme files have a general descrption that would suffice as far as I'm concerned, but you have to download the mod in order to read the readme file.

• Yeah, that's the mod I tried out. There's a lot about it that's quite fun, but has oddities like that (non?)rep fix thing with bad guys. I mean, if you can't get good with Nomads, how will you ever know what's hiding on their dockable base? :) If anything.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the old site used to have a link on download page to read the readme file. I'm not sure if they want to go that route here or not, but some how we'll have to figure a way to make 1-2 line descriptions descriptive enough if you know what I mean :)

I mean, if they wanted 'em, it'd be much easier to copy/paste the entire readme file for stuff that has 'em. Or save that for the thread when it starts, as a kind of "help me look it over and distill it down to an effective 1-2 line description" type of thing.

Anyway, I think you're probably right to want to stick to small files to mess with. I mean, I don't view this thing as necessarily ever being totally complete description-wise but certainly I think we can all start with whatever each of has installed just to figure it out in our own heads how to do it. And I don't believe in biting off more than I can chew so I think this is probably the best area to start.

• Quote from "Bink"

I mean, if you can't get good with Nomads, how will you ever know what's hiding on their dockable base?

:?: There is a Nomad Base that you can dock with??? :?:

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• Quote from "alexcomboy"

:?: There is a Nomad Base that you can dock with??? :?:

Yes! If you are playing the "New Sirius Order" mod.
    The nomad city is located in the nomad homeworld system. Which can be accessed through jump gates in both of the Unknown systems.

• Okay everyone, bear with us. We know we are wayyy off the original topic, but if you read the entire thread....you'll see how we got here. LOL

Bink, I've killed hundreds of Order NPCs as well as 50+ Liberty Navy Battleships and Cruisers not to mention hundreds of Navy Defenders and LSF Defenders and it seemed to have absolutely NO affect on my rep with Nomads, they still hate me! And I've never been able to dock at the Nomad City. The website that I originally found the NewSiriusOrder mod at is here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.n2hclan.net/site/">http://www.n2hclan.net/site/</a><!-- m -->
    And I read somewhere on the forums there that the Nomad City docking ring is "occasionally" dockable.....but again, I've never seen it be anything but red/hostile.

• I wonder if that rep fix mod will stack on that one - the one where even the Nomads get friendly to you if you kill 'em. See, this is the problem I run into generally every time I return in my game rotation to Freelancer - How many mods can I possibly stack and not have the game crash?

That was rhetorical cause I WILL be stacking mods LOL

• Quote from "Bink"

I wonder if that rep fix mod will stack on that one - the one where even the Nomads get friendly to you if you kill 'em.

Well, I hadn't tried to stack the "Friendly Universe" mod with "The New Sirius Order" mod because the FLMM gives a warning stating that it may not work and could cause crashes, but since you asked, I decided to try it. To answer your question, YES it worked! I killed a few nomads and the nomads "love me" and so I was able to dock with the nomad city (Dyson City)!
    Didn't experience any crashes in the 3 hours that I played with those mods stacked, also had the "speed mod" stacked as well.