Mod descrptions

• How about adding descriptions to the mods listed in the downloads section? Kinda makes it hard to decide which mods to try when you do not know what the mod is. May not be a problem for those who have high speed connections and tons of time to download mods, but some of us want to know what the mod is before we download it.
    Not sure how difficult it would be to do this, but it would be nice!
    Thanks!

• If it isn't that hard, then please, by all means, start it. So many people have asked for this, and we don't have the information to do so. But like I said, if you know everything about every mod, then start in this thread by telling the name of the mod, then listing all the information about it. Once we get the information, we can update it. All I have to say though is one thing for how large that database is; good luck...

• I would suggest starting with original and complete total conversions.

After that, "TC's" based upon a certain mod base.

• I could help out I suppose, just based on what I have installed and what descriptions if any the mod manager gives for them. However I don't necessarily know the original file names for each. i.e. "somethingsomething.zip" or whatever.

Should we just use this thread for that?

• I don't think it's a matter of "knowing everything" about a particular mod. The readme files that come with most mods will give a general description for the mod, that would suffice!
    But in order to view the readme you have to download the mod, and that's the problem that I have, no time or patience to wait 2 hours to download a small mod just so I can read the readme file.

• That's true enough I suppose. However, if the files that we already have between us here, that is all of us that have any loaded up into the mod manager with a readme file, it should be enough to cobble out an impromtu one line description.

If we start with those first, it might be better than starting blind on mods we all haven't tried or even remember first. Of course, the question then becomes under which file do the descriptions go? Hence my thought on maybe needing to know the "blabadyblah.zip/flmod" names as they are posted here.

Don't know about you, but whoever has to edit the pages to put the descriptions in will need to know that I believe :)

• Agreed, and I'm sure it wouldn't be something that could be done overnight. But on the larger mods, it would definitely be a plus for me to atleast know a short description of the mod before downloading it.
    Remember everyone, this was just a suggestion, I'm not going to be mad if it never happens. LOL

• Quote from "Screamin' Eagle"

The readme files that come with most mods will give a general description for the mod, that would suffice!
    But in order to view the readme you have to download the mod, and that's the problem that I have, no time or patience to wait 2 hours to download a small mod just so I can read the readme file.

The main point exactly. Who wants to sit here and download almost 16GB of mods, read the readme and play a little of the ones that don't have one, and come up with a small, one lines description. I don't know about you, but personally it takes me about an hour just to download 3/4ths of a gig. I realize this is coming off as I'm being an ass, but I'm really not trying to be, I'm just trying to get everyone to realize the problem.

If someone would like to do as Blink said, and post a one line about the mods they have, I'll set it up to have its own stickied thread. But until people want to begin doing that, we're basically going to have to just sit tight.

I personally don't have any of the mods. I do know for a fact though that the best person to get in on this would be Griffin Pyros. With his latest project, I'm sure he's downloaded a hell of a lot, and could help. Maybe one of you guys could work a deal wit him for that info.

• i've seen the admin panel of php easy downloader on another site and that allows you to add descriptions to files.
    someone with the admin login could go and add descriptions.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• it's not like that on this. the files are not dirrectly a part of the site. It's hard to explain, but just take my word, it's not htat easy. Plus, you're saying the admins should do all the work, but like I just posted, with what info?

• I think you're right, its probably best to start another sticky, and only start with mods that people have loaded up and have access to descriptions. Sure, I don't expect one day it'll all be done, but certainly put a modest dent in some of it.

A side thought on this though. I remember on the old site you could actually click I link I think for something to another page with the actual readme on it. Is this something that anyone is keen to resurrect idea-wise, or just stick with a 1-2 line description under the download link?

• Quote from "Bink"

A side thought on this though. I remember on the old site you could actually click I link I think for something to another page with the actual readme on it. Is this something that anyone is keen to resurrect idea-wise, or just stick with a 1-2 line description under the download link?

I couldn't tell you on that, that will be something for the full admins to look into, specifically iMac or Aaron. As for that sticky, I'll start it once someone posts a reply on here with atleast one mod and info for it.

• Ok I'll do one just to get the ball rolling, and to basically figure out a format for this purpose. Incidentally when you start the new thread, it may be a good idea to re-edit the first post of it or how ever you want to do it so we can see at a glance what was done as we go.

Since I don't remember what came packaged with Freelancer Mod Manager 1.3 at the time which I have, I'll start with the missile turret one by Zeno.

Link here: http://www.lancersreactor.org/…index.php?file=678&sort=1

What it says in mod manager: "Adds turret mounts for the standard missiles."

There is of course a more in depth readme with it, but sometimes the author's own words will do fine for the description I reckon.

• See, this is just my opinion, but "Adds turret mounts for the standard missiles." makes little if any sense. Hmmm....

...let's sit on this a bit until we figure out the perfect way to do this. What do you think though?

• Quote from "Alfa Astrix"

See, this is just my opinion, but "Adds turret mounts for the standard missiles." makes little if any sense. Hmmm....

...let's sit on this a bit until we figure out the perfect way to do this. What do you think though?

Well, I think you are right. That description may not make much sense, but atleast it is a description of sorts...better than no description at all. And I think it means that missle launchers can be mounted on turret hardpoints. JMO

Here's a brief description of one of the mods that comes already loaded in FLMM:

Friendly Universe Mod: Killing Nomads will make everybody love you.
    Nomads will also be happy.

• see that makes more sense, That doesn't leave you going WTF?! Get a desciption like that for something in our database and we can start the trhead.

• Okay, how about this one, it is in the downloads database.
    Very brief description.
    TheNewSiriusOrder.zip mod:
    This is a Total System Mod mostly using and expanding on what was in the program but never quite made it into the game.

• I see what you mean about the original description for the missile turrets. The first one is what's seen in the mod manager window when its highlighted. How about this - its from the readme and its the first couple of lines:

"Ever wondered why you can only fire missile forward? This mod creates missile turrets for the standard misiles, and allows you to mount them as turrets."

Don't know if I should correct any misspellings but there it is. Does this make more sense than the first one?

Eagle, I think that's ok although the readme also says its v1.0. I don't know if there were ever any more versions but I think its wise to say that in there too. For example at the top before that, he has the title of it, month and year of release. That might help people too. I'd place it before that line - for example:

"The New Sirius Order v1.0, Sept. 2006. This is a Total System Mod mostly using and expanding on what was in the program but never quite made it into the game."

• Quote from "Bink"

Eagle, I think that's ok although the readme also says its v1.0. I don't know if there were ever any more versions but I think its wise to say that in there too. For example at the top before that, he has the title of it, month and year of release. That might help people too. I'd place it before that line - for example:

"The New Sirius Order v1.0, Sept. 2006. This is a Total System Mod mostly using and expanding on what was in the program but never quite made it into the game."

Good point, I agree. ;)