Posts by genedefect

A few months back when I was looking into loading up a mod package on Seattle Based, I got a huge amount of feedback from my server users that basically asked me not to. It is true, that at least for now, the vast majority of the FL community likes a clean server. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

On your router you should be able to configure it to allow your one system to see directly outside. Then, (based on your ISP), you should get a IP Address specifically for that system. If you do this, be sure to get yourself a nice Firewall and Virus program to be extra safe. On a side note, welcome to the FL Admin community Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Consider this. Server code is always optimized for expected results. Then it adds in special case scenarios to handle stuff it doesn´t expect. So, considering that. The server expect weapons to fire so far and no farther. Someone logs in and is shooting a weapon halfway accross the galaxy. 1) The server is no longer running in an optimized mode 2) That many more players that weren´t suppposed to see the blast now do see it thus causing more bandwidth use Damage increase. The server expects so much max damage able to be caused by a weapon. Now someone cheats and shoots with an dramatically overpowered weapon. 1) Server once again is no longer running in an optimized mode 2) Now it is trying to send data to a client that the client doesn´t understand to 3) The server and client are now trying to resolve why and how this happened and can get out of sync, thus they waste time getting back in sync Cloaking 1) You just flew by someone, the server knows this but for some reason is withholding the fact that you flew by from the client. It is not supposed to do this and thus can cause a crash or instability 2) You shoot someone, now their client is confused by the shots coming litterally out of this air By now it should be clear. Those 3 scenarios can be applied to cheats like speed, double mounted weapons, ect... Basically it comes down to confusing the heck out of the server app as well as the client app. On top of that, things like the weapon range increase cause unneccessary waste of server output bandwidth (the biggest bottleneck for a server with a fast CPU) Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Me personally, I would tell you that unfortunately you learned a hard lesson. Being that you have never played elsewhere you should loose anything from creating a new MP ID. Guide you through doing so and send you some recommendations on things that will potentially get you flagged as a cheater on servers. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

**** OFF I am probably more patriotic that the whole bunch of you and here you sit calling me a Nazi? Have you ever run into a burning building to save someone you didn´t know? or just their property? How about standing by a car while it is on fire and could theoretically explode, just to help the public at large? Did you have your lungs permenantly damaged during an apartment fire? How about had to carry dead bodies away from fires, auto accidents, and just plain bad luck. I have fought off the media to stop them from taking pictures of your loved ones that died in an auto accident. I have saved your local businesses. What happens, I get called a ****ing Nazi or even compared to one. When was the last time you gave blood. When was the last time you gave money to the homeless on the street or some random cause. As a side note, my nickname was given to me because I am abnormally outgoing and trying to help people. It has to be some genetic defect, no one does that. I still am outgoing and help people left and right. One day it will probably get me killed. But excuse me if I choose not to be so outgoing with a free server I run. Excuse me if I would rather create a couple of simple rules and let those that can follow just a couple of simple rules play from that point on without issue on my server. Even in our great USofA, we have some rules to abide by. A lot of them are even stricter than my name rules and 10 times more worthless. I should know, I have faught against some and signed petitions against others. What have you done to help preserver our democracy? When was the last time you voted? When was the last time you called a polotician to voice your opinion? When was the last time you actually used your "free speech" for something other than to slam the hell out of someone giving you a free service. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

I would check out the editing forums, they have some good info there. Just a little note though, most players these days seem to not have a problem getting going with the minimal cash they are given. I personally have not found something like this to be needed. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

No problem about the long posts. I actually like your ideas but sadly do not have the time to impliment and follow through with them. Once (About 4 months back) I had to take the server offline in order to regain time I needed for work and other personal responsibilites. Yes, I realize that I am probably the strictist admin out there for FLServer. But I provide a different experience for those that are interested. When you play on my server you get names that are 99% of the time, readable. They don´t pull you out of the game mindset to try to comprehend what you are seeing. Not to mention, if you run in lower resolutions, you don´t get your screen scraped by a large amount of capital letters and which can hurt the eyes to see. Most character names that I delete (about 3 a night) I catch before they have passed the first few ranks. It is very rare when it happens otherwise. Also, on several occassions I have seen the person online, referred them to read the rules and change their name accordingly or it would be deleted that night. When I have chance, I do give people a chance. Most of the time I do not have the time to. As for changing the server password, I only do that when I make an alteration to the server news that I believe should be read (almost never) Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Really, I didn´t know I gave you Admin rights to the server to see it´s statistics? I really should of let myself know that I did this. I will give myself a note to remember to tell myself next time. How is deleting a character name of someone who couldn´t follow my rules screwing them over per say? If anything they screwed themself by not following the rules. Also, there have been very few people in the same situation. Most people are more than happy to abide by my server rules to play on one of the fastest (if not the fastest) Freelancer server out there. Go figure. On a side note, I have a lot of vocal people who have supported me in these forums as well as through personal E-Mail to seattlebased@hotmail.com Once again, go figure. Sounds like the ones that can´t follow a few simple rules are really the minority. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

But I do Allow #´s in names. There are many a player on my server that can attest to this (even outside of Ranks) Just mainly not #´s that replace letters. Pretty Straight forward if you read the rules with that one. Also, as with all internet servers that you don´t pay for, it is up to the Admin to set his own rules and to walk whatever side of the line they want to to judge if names or other points of interest fall within their rules. Being that not a single FL Admin with a top server that I know of runs this as their full time job (We have to pay for the DSL/T1 lines, COmputers, ect.. somehow), it should be understandable that occassionally we have to make calls at the spur of the moment. We can sit there and go, lets think about this for an hour. Lets try to try to contact ever person that can´t read the rules and make sure they understand them. Also, a hidden point of my rules seems to have worked quite well in this case. If you can´t spend time to read a simple rule like a name rule before creating your name, will you really be a valuble member of the server community, or more of a distruption. On the Other hand, say you did read the rule (like you) and intentially went out of your way to find a loophole or circumvent said rule, what is to say you won´t also try to do so when playing on the server when it comes to mods/cheats or other rules? Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Yep, all you do is mod the server like you would the client. Be sure to call it out in your server information to make sure people load up the mod before logging in. You might also want to add a password and list it in the server information to make sure people see the mod information. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Hello, what intellectual property am I storing on my server? As far as I know I am just running Microsoft IP on the server (the game engine Freelancer) Names of characters are not IP. If you believe your name to be IP, I will delete it ASAP if you tell me it as I do not wish to have that on my server for possible risks associated. As for your other statements, yes, if you do not have the time to read the Server news (which you are told to do priotr to recieving the password to logon) then well, I will delete your character name if it is in violation of the naming rules. It is my right to setup the server and run it as I wish. I have 2 little rules that most people have chosen to abide by with no problem. Name Rules and cheating/modding. Very simple. If you can´t follow those then I am sure the other 2500 accounts on my server would gladdly take your place in the logged in roster. While you may see a fair amount of posts complaigning, you will also note that the most vocal are usually people whining about the rules (and their lack of ability to follow them) Take Obsidian above. Had he just followed the name rule he wouldn´t be in this mess in the first place. What most of you don´t see is the dozens of mails I get a week that thank me for running such a stable and fast server. That thank me for doing my part for the Freelnacer community. Obsidian, why don´t you do your part for the Freelancer community, and rather than consistantly bashing the Admins that take the time, money, and patiance to run the servers. Either Start your own server, or play on one that does not have rules that you have to worry about reading, or don´t agree with. How many servers out there only let their clans play on them? How many only let members of their country play? How many are passworded so only certain people can play? At least mine is open to anyone that can and will follow a couple of simple rules. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com