Posts by genedefect

1) It is password protected and you have to read the message "Read Server Rules" "Naming Rules Mandatory" before you can read the password to logon 2) This is how I run my server. If you don´t like it there are 500 other servers to play on. Just most of them can´t handle 50 players. I try to keep my server clean in ways I want to. This is my choice. I like to leave the server open to those who play by the rules. Including the Name rules I have setup. I don´t think having a name rule is to much to ask for. Is it that hard for people to follow such a simple rule on the internet for a change? Apparently not for most people. As just a small minority seem to be having a problem while the vast majority are logging in just fine. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Dude, wtf is your problem. Why in the world did you feel the need to go through and bump up ever message known to man dealing with my server (except the good ones of course) And your calling me an ball-buster... Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Hi, 7/22/2003 21:11:46 Possible cheating detected (Ship Related) by b0n3(xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx) Is that good enough? On a side note, I don´t like #´s in names. I like my server to be somewhat like th real world. Do you see people naming their kids j03 or B177? Also this is not a public server per say. While it may be public on the internet, I own it and thus reserve the right to do with it as I please. I do not take money for running this server, yet I expend a lot of time, effort, and money to do so. Such is the way the internet is. Nothing to do with Free Speech. That allows you to say your do not like my name rules, that does not allow you to set the rules for my server :-) Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com <b> EDIT: Let´s not be putting account ID´s on a public forum anymore okay? </b> Edited by - Stinger on 26-07-2003 05:13:20

Correction, I delete names of those who don´t read my name rules Ban those that keep recreating the offending name Also, I said that it will remain up and fast for at least a couple of months. Then I move and it will probably be down for a week during the move. Then it will be back online. Thanks for trying to bash my server in at least 2 post though, really appreciate it. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Dueling events would rock. To take down the server I would want the following 1) At least 1 week notice so that I can advertise it in the news and on lancers reactor. 2) Minimum of 30 players involved (you can recruit people to be &quot;spectators, but at least 10 players on each side or involved directly in duel 3) List of all players involved, their E-Mails, and Account names. 4) Maximum of 2 hour time block for duel, 4 hours if you can get 50 players 5) Time Block must be off peak (peak hours are 3 - 10pm PST) or on weekends 6) NO MODS 7) At least 3 Referrees. These will inform me as to the winner of the duel in case of any awards. Also in case I can´t be there (more than likely I won´t be able to be) 8) Maximum of 1 duel during week and 1 on each weekend allowed If you are interested in setting up a duel, and have already arranged to have the Full # of players, send the requested information to my E-Mail a minimum of 1 week + 2 days in advance. This will allow me to post information on the Duel at least 1 week in advance. Possible award I can provide, 2 hours to winner´s clan of uninterrupted server use. Your clan would get 2 hours (off peak or on a weekend) when you would have the server all to yourselves. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

[RETRO* character names on my server have almost consistantly been flagged as cheaters. Contantly having to ban them. Gotta love it. Though my personal favorite are the people who create names like I_Mod Virus I_have_virus I_Crash_You Umm... just to be safe I have to ban these people. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

1) I have noticed the occassional drops, I am investigating that with my ISP. Yes, the modem is resetting and dropping all connections briefly, some people stay in because it comes back with the same IP, just waits about 5 - 10 seconds. (about once every 6 - 10 hours) 2) I do not accept any MP accoutns from other servers. Sorry but if you want to play on my server you have to start fresh. Though all are welcome (as long as you don´t cheat and can read the name rules) 3) My server resets are usually unplanned. Most of the time I give 15 minutes notice. When I have time, I go through and do all my bannings/deletions of characters. This is about once per day. At which time, I have to restart the FLServer.exe program to apply these changes (made using a program external to FLServer). 4) My server has only crashed about once in the past 2 weeks. I run FLAdmin to restart it automagically. 5) I encourage clans on my server, but discourage PK in Liberty space. 6) I have 2 trusted remote Admins. Do not ask to be one, If I need another I will ask the people I want and trust. 7) I have plans to eventually output all character information to a web page updated regularly so that everyone can track how they are doing in comparision to other players on their server (ETA unknown, and partly out of my control) 8) Thanks for playing on my server and thanks to those that posted their lag stats. Currently at 45 players the server is solid and stable using roughly 35% of my available upstream and 10% of my downstream and 30% CPU. If the server starts filling up (50 players) on a regular basis I do have plans to monitor for 2 days and possibly up the limit progressively to 75 - 100 players. Pre patch, FLServer would barf above 40 players. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

I don´t know why the password protect seems to have helped with lag, other than it decreased the # of people logging in for a day or 2... I have a little extra time over the last couple of days to monitor some perf and I am watching for when people log in and out and seeing just who is causing big time lag spikes. Only punted 3 people so far, but all of them were hitting the server so hard when they logged in that they were causing an extra 1000+ msec lag for everyone. (normal lag caused per player on my server is .5 - 1.0 msec) Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

In case he sees this. I just banned a character by the name of Batosai not for cheating, but for causing massive lag on my server (which he means he may have been cheating, but I want to be clear that I did not ban for that) I am sorry, but overall server stability and performance for everyone is more important to me than one person playing... If you see this and have time, please post your location and connection speed. Thanks Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Your lucky you got asked. I have a no tolerance rule on my server. Your caught, I don´t care, your banned. No questions asked. Should have worked with them if you are given the chance, when you argue back they think you are being evasive, and gee you get banned, who woulda thunk. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

So someone who steals a couple of candy bars from a store is still a lot from being a bank robber also. Does that mean that the lost revenue and pain caused to the owner of the store was any worse? Does that mean that he was like, well at least the person didn´t come in and point a gun at me. Does that mean that the owner of the store should just let anyone who wants to just come in and steal a couple little low cost things here and there? NO. Just because you aren´t &quot;As bad&quot; does not make you &quot;any better&quot; or &quot;right&quot;. You still cause problems for our servers. You still fight the bad fight. You still have a warped view or reality. Now, consider that you haven´t just stolen one candy bar, you stole the whole shelf over time. Not to mention you broke the cash register a few dozen times so other people couldn´t buy candy bars. You helped cause enough problems to where some of the store owners have had to lock the doors and stop new people from even coming in to try thier products, because while you were in the store you kept yelling fire and causing everyone else to be kicked out of the store until the owner shut it down, checked things out and re-opened it again, only to have to come in and keep yelling fire each and ever time. No, your not as bad, but you are persistant and do enough little damage over time that you are probably worse in the long run. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

Yea you have the right to mod, and we have the right to ban you and spread the word. Now all we need is a good IP Ban tool :-) I did my own tests with FLServer 1.0 and found that even a simple money cheat caused an extra 4ms lag to all players on a server. Cloaking mods add about 8msec as the system doesn´t know how to calculate it right and display it. In same cases it can even take down the server. So much for Harmless ehh. Weapons that shoot farther than the game expects cause lag in multiple ways. 1) the game has to now render all ships and units in the area the gun fires through. 2) Data has to be sent to an increased number of players that a shot went by at a certain trajectory. 3) Larger packet sizes are sent that may be the cause of some of the memory leaks as the game was designed for packets of a certain size. In worst case scenarios these can cause buffer overruns that can take down the whole server, not just that app. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com

No some of us are the Admins that have to deal with the havoc you (and people like you) cause on our servers. Your &quot;harmless&quot; mods destabilize our servers and cause a poor experience to those players that are honestly just trying to have fun playing the game. Visit my server 24/7 Seattle Based seattlebased@hotmail.com