Posts by SmokeRingHalo

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO FIX YOUR SYSTEM AFTER THIS TUTORIAL SCREWS IT UP I finally fixed my copy of Freelancer after attempting this tutorial - but at a high price. The author wasn´t kidding about the warning folks - so DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS TUTORIAL UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO DO THE FOLLOWING: 1) Uninstall Freelancer 2) Uninstall FLMM and all your mods 3) Uninstall your server operator 2) Uninstall FL Ship Studio (ResHack - Ship Studio - Bini) Had to delete the entire folder 3) Uninstall Freelancer Explorer - including the C runtime components extracted to Windows/System32 folder - Did not uninstall correctly - had to delete entire Freelancer explorer folder. - Deleted the following files from Windows/System 32 - ANSI_FOR_WIN98 (folder) - atl71.dll - MFC71.dll - MFC71u.dll - msvcp71.dll - msvcr71.dll 4) Delete Freelancer folder from My Documents/My Games - (save data for both MP and SP) 5) Wipe Freelancer server registry keys (Start menu - run - regedit - hkey_current_user - software - microsoft - FLSERVER <-(delete this one)) 6) Reinstalled freelancer / problem solved. Note that a system restore (WinXP) will not help solve the problem as it is one of the 1st things attempted. Also note that doing all of these things to correct a problem is only one step short of having to do a full windows reinstall since every FL component had to be expelled before reinstalling. -Edited to reflect accurate registry key deletion method. - Delete FLSERVER key folder ONLY! - Edited to correct typo in step #3 Edited by - SmokeRingHalo on 07-09-2003 11:44:33 Edited by - SmokeRingHalo on 07-09-2003 11:49:10

I just started with the FLexplorer myself and had the smae problems. After a few hours of screwing around with it i finally have had success. 1st of all make sure you have FLexplorer installed to C:/ProgramFiles/FreelancerExplorer . The install instructions say to unzip to your freelancer EXE folder but this always gave me an error at the end of modding and directly effected the dll creation. It looks for the empty_resource file in C:/ProgramFiles/FreelancerExplorer . I trust you have all the C visual files etc etc. Good. Now when i was having all the errors and whatnot, trying to go back and edit/fix the problems did not work out very well. I had to start my system over, which didn´t take to long to finish and turned out much better than I had previously done. When FLExplorer asks you to name your dll , rename it whatever your mod is .dll - dont use the default mymod.dll Always do this when prompted - no matter how many times it asks you to create one - always use the same name you used the 1st time. Once I did all of the above - FLexplorer works flawlessly. Well almost....anyone know how I can get rid of those annoying "black triangles" in the starscape background? Thats what I came here for initially...

I thought they were at 1st. I added my list of changes I´d like to see that were within bounds of not having to create any new content (new models, etc.) but then upon returning later, the whole subject had been moved to the NEO forums and my post as well as others had been deleted. Seems that a group of people may be trying to control what feedback actually gets sent back to DA. My suggestion is not to rely on others: write DA personally.

The Elemental mod has been in production since the release of the game. I would think that they´d be close to finishing. Many of the other larger mods for DS are starting to come out now. I was hoping that the speed/ wepaon cheats had been addressed with this patch. But as long as they continue to support the product and acknowledge the issues then I will remain hopefull.

I have used dual catapult missle launchers for as far as I can remember. Ever since I was lvl 16 and destroyed a lvl 38 player with multiple lvl 9 weapons. He couldnt kill what he couldnt hit as I kept pounding him round after round till his hull buckled. If you don´t use your thrusters with missles you´ll never hit anything. ALWAYS USE YOUR THRUSTERS WHEN FIRING MISSLES! - they´re simply faster and more accurate that way. Ever since this online encounter I have had trouble giving them up, and still have them equipted to this day.

It must have been released well after I got fed up with the game. Both microsoft titles are visually stunning - easy to play, etc. etc. - I do give them due props for those features. My issues with both titles is they were extremely easy to hack/cheat. What is the point of the game? The point of the game is to explore, gain lvls, and find good stuff. This all = fun. When everyone and their brother already starts with the top lvl - all the good stuff, there is no point anymore. No point = no fun. This is simply my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of hackers/cheaters and those who would ruin the game for myself and others.

Actally some regular players such as myself have been waiting awhile for this. As repetitive as freelancer is, the only reason the game was any fun at all at the beginning was playing online - competitively and cooperatively. Soon most servers were flooded with cheats and hacks - causing servers to crash and simply ruining the fun for me to keep playing. I mean to say...what was the point? Its was the same for the last microsoft title I had bought, "Dungeon Seige" except they never patched that game. So needless to say - this doesn´t add more ships, systems or any other gameplay extras. It´s meant to fix (hopefully) what should have never been an issue in the 1st place....which is what a patch should do....fix things.

.....not only that, but they have to have it or your server will experience multiple crashes. Just as mods don´t mix with normal servers, unmodded players won´t mixed with a modded server.

Well I´m having trouble keeping my ports closed!!!!!! I´m using the firewall that came with WinXP and everytime I start up FL it opens between 10 and 15 ports!!!! WTF!!! It sux having to close them all when I´m finished playing.

Nope. I had killed a lvl 38 player with lvl 9 and 10 guns in a titan with only dual catapults in my lvl 18 barracuda. That will teach him to cheap shot me while docking. Missles work fine for me. But in case you don´t already - always always always use your afterburner/thruster while firing missles.