Posts by TheJkWhoSaysNi

<font size=1 face="trebuchet ms"><BLOCKQUOTE><hr size=1 noshade>Do you know Americans didnt acually invent the internet. Belive it or not it was invented by CERN the worlds biggest employer of phyisists, CERN is in Geneva, Switzerland. Now how many people acually knew CERN exicted? <hr size=1 noshade></BLOCKQUOTE></font><font face=´trebuchet ms, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica´ size=2> No. The WEB was created at CERN. The US military created the internet which was an expansion of a military network ARPANET. We wouldn´t have the web as it is today without one person, Tim Burners-Lee who yes, Worked at CERN. It´s really what made the Internet take off the way it has. Without the web I reckon less than 10% of the current computers on the internet would be and as such, I do believe the EU does have a case for controlling half the internet.

This is an old trick. I remember a lot of people did it with &quot;X-box box&quot; because it´s even less obvious. I remember one furious guy who gave negative feedback and complained that he only got a box. Rofl. Funny that people still fall for it.

Firefox is far superior. It has much better standards support. The fact of the matter is that IE is holding back progress in web development. It still doesn´t support XHTML correctly. Its CSS support is equally laughable and forces people to find workarounds to make things display correctly. The security isn´t as tight as FF. Spyware is a major problem when using IE. Security holes have been a constant problem with IE6. Sure, firefox has had a few small security holes but they´ve been fixed within hours. Firefox beats IE in every aspect. 99% of sites work with FF. The only ones that dont are ones which require ActiveX components be installed.

<A href=´http://www.simplemachines.org´ Target=_Blank>Simplemachines forum</a> is far superior to PHPBB in both security and features. Also, i´d go for php5 instead of 4. While php4 is still commonly used and still fully supported, php5 offers some very nice features especially in the object-oriented side of things. I found this tutorial very comprehensive &amp; easy to follow. p.s. as it stands you´re best off using Apache2 on windows and Apache1.3 on *nix. IIRC, there was a few issues with mod_perl and apache2 and i don´t know whether these have been resolved so if you plan on running mod_perl you´d be better reading up on it. Since someone will inevitably bring it up now i´ve mentioned apache2, yes the php manaul does (or did at least) suggest not using apache2 with php. This is a non-issue on windows because every module must be threadsafe.. but that´s a very long discussion and theres plenty of info around. I haven´t really kept up with this over the last 3 months or so, I don´t know the current status of the issue. But last I checked the general consensus was use apache2 on windows and apache1.3 on *nix.

Finalday : While that was the original intent, you can pretty much register any extension for any purpose nowadays. Some country codes require the registrant to be a citezen of that country though and the US does have a country code. It´s .us not surprisi

There is a way round the validation check using trixie for IE (to use windows update normally) or greasemonkey with firefox to browse the MS site. Just google it and you´ll find out how to do it.

Some of them disspear in some cutscenes. For example, if you make trent hold someting and in the cutscene he holds a gun or the artifact then whatever you made him hold will dissapear. Some things (hats, sunglasses) seem to stay until you close &amp; reopen the game. The accessories are not stored in the save game so you´ll have to open up your save, add the accessory and then save the .fl file and open it in freelancer. Your accessory will be visible until you close freelancer. I have yet to find a way around this.

Just a quick note. I´d like to see a cheat proof cloak. But it´s not going to happen. Even if you hacked the executable to make it so you definatly couldnt fire when shooting or whatever you would still also need to include the relevant ini files. People could just install the ini files and not copy over your modded executable. I really cant see how it´s possible to make a cheat proof cloak, even if it was possible to make something which seemed that way by altering the executable.

Well after a few hours experimenting with Cold_Void yesterday it seems that the player can use any costume which has a pilot entry on the server by changing their newcharacter.ini file. The main problem is this: your costume cannot be changed in-game. You have to choose a costume which has a [pilot entry on both the client and the server then modify your newcharacter.fl file before the game starts. As for custom characters.. I´ve had a thought. Although I did take a quick look at the packets I recieved when Cold_Void created a character on my server i couldnt see any obvious references to head, body etc. However, thinking about it some more... the pilot info (at least) must be being sent for this to work. Are there lists of bodypart IDs anywhere? I found a series of numbers being sent, which looked like possible IDs. Of course... even if the info is being sent from the client, we already know freelancer.exe doesn´t process the info and creates your character based on serverside settings apart from which pilot to use.

Chips: Yes, all the market files can be condensed into a single file.. the same with equipment and ships because they´re all of the same type. I kept them like that for the sake of consistency with the game :p File name makes no difference at all, so long as each file has only one type. Edited by - TheJkWhoSaysNi on 5/18/2005 1:51:05 PM

i dont have time to address everything but i´ll mention what i´ve tried with market_ships.ini The third number in the marketgood line is whether or not that good is sold. It´s possible to stop one (or more) of the current packages being sold by changing the third number to a 0. This frees up one of the spaces. for example your custom market_ships.ini: [BaseGood base = Li01_01_base marketgood = lf_package, 1, -1, <b>0 </b>, 1, 0, 1, 1;stop this ship being sold, so the new one can be marketgood = new_ship_package, 0, -1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1 I´m replacing the entry... but not in the conventional way. Of course there´s still a problem when two ships want to use the same slot on the same base, but doesnt this also happen with the XML method? Whatever happens there is the hardcoded 3 ship limit per base.

What are the advantages? Ease of adding/removing, keeping everything seperate, no risk of needing to restore backup ini files if a mod messes up. It also keeps everything neater. Yes, there are restrictions although I have been looking into ways of bypassing them with limited success so far. As for name clashing, i already suggested giving mods their own directory so that shouldn´t ever be a problem.