Posts by [GR]_Fallen_Angel

hehehe, as long as I dont return to complaining about imperminance right wilde =P I´ll keep writting what I have, but I think I´m going to try and pull the story away from this.... (of course doing that I´m going to have a novel on my hands.... watch out athena, I´m comming to break your 53 page record =P note: I dont know if that is the record on here, 53 MS Word, pages, but thats a lot =P

ok so I´m about half way through my next chapter, but, I´m stuck with a dialema... this is turning into what I said it wouldnt be, the normal evil someone whatever stuff with powers beyond the hero´s conrtol yada yada yada.... so heres a poll: do I turn it away from that? or continue on its current path (which is turning out to be about a man and his suffering in the universe)

wow very nicely written, but one thing that caught my attention <font size=1 face="trebuchet ms"><BLOCKQUOTE><hr size=1 noshade>Juni could smell the alcohol on Orillion’s breath, and was already becoming aggravated by his nonsensical answers. “<b>With something this strong as this?! </b>” she remarked, showing him the bottle. Orillion made another grab for the bottle, but again the colonel pulled it away. “Why?” Juni asked again. <hr size=1 noshade></BLOCKQUOTE></font><font face=´trebuchet ms, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica´ size=2> the bold sentence doesnt sound right, sure the first &quot;this&quot; is just a typo instead of &quot;as&quot; other than that, GREAT story

“I didn’t appreciate the banter about ‘Person to person’,” Shi’Xiosa scolded Gabriel. “Sorry...” the pilot paused, searching for the correct wording, “Look, it was just light humor to take the edge off of the situation, ok.” “Yes, I know. But you must learn self-control. I can read all your thoughts; you would be a fool to forget that. You should be glad I don’t report some of them to the council.” “Like what?” Gabriel asked boldly. “Like ‘this twit can really get up my nose sometime. Stupid plonker thinks he can tell me what to do, its my bloody body, my mind I can do whatever I bloody well choose.’” Gabriel’s eyes widened, he coughed and sputtered loudly. “Ehem… oh… that… right… err, sorry about that… err… frustration, I’m surprised you don’t get more frustrated at me you know.” “I do. Maybe if you weren’t so big headed you’d actually notice.” The ship was quiet, but both being’s minds raced in anger and frustration. Finally Gabriel broke the ice. “Ok, well, this trip back to New London is going to be pretty quiet. Teach me more about you. I want to know about your history, your experiences: more about the nomads, more about the Ta’Gue’Led. Now I’m part of this organization I should know its history. I what to know more about what I’ve given my life to, and in return perhaps our bond will be closer and stronger.” “I’m glad you’re finally thinking that way.” Shi’Xiosa replied, relieved his host was finally thinking rationally. “Just let your mind relax; let me take over. I’ll fly us back to New London, you just focus on taking in all of this Information.” “Ok” Gabriel thought as he lent back into his chair and closed his eyes. Suddenly he felt himself falling. He was in a gigantic building. The Architecture was obviously nomad. Its distinctive transparent blues surrounded him, and he was in awe of the gigantic monolith that surrounded him. “This is the Hive Mind of the nomads.” The ghost-like voice of Shi’Xiosa echoed through his head. “This is where the Nomads control all the drones. They coordinate fleets and collect intelligence about humanity and what ever else could threaten them. These memories are from when I was still a solitary drone among the untold billions of nomads in the Sirius Sector. If humanity is to ever destroy the nomads, the will have to take out this structure.” “But, where is it?” “I do not know” “But I thought you had been there?” Gabriel Inquired. “That I have, but it was long ago. The structure itself can move. When I visited it, it was inside the gigantic structure you call the Dyson Sphere. It may still be there or it may have moved. That edifice is Gigantic, When the Order came to destroy the Nomads and open up the jump gate that battalion was protecting, they naively thought they had destroyed the nomads. The artifact used to open that gate, it also held a map did it not?” “Yes, I believe so, I think I heard some of the senior officers talking about it before we left on the mission into the Dyson Sphere.” “Does the Order still have it?” “I guess so, I’m sure their top scientists are still working on it. Anyway, I doubt they would let such a powerful object slip from their grasp.” “Well obviously they haven’t figured out all its secrets. The Ta’Gue’Led, like the nomads, both searched for this artifact. We wanted it because it would tell us the location of all nomad fleets in the sector. It can connect to the hive mind if used properly and reveal all of their locations to us. The nomads didn’t want it as a weapon; they wanted it to prevent us from getting it. They thought they had destroyed it in the assault on Freeport Seven, but soon realized that wasn’t the case. Neither of us realized it was a key to the Dom’Kavash jump gate system. We were in the Dyson Sphere sector because we were afraid the Order were handing the artifact right to the hive mind, with or without their knowledge. That was one of the reasons we got you. We didn’t know what other plans the Order had, and you were the best resource we had available.” “So you’re saying you just picked me up so I could rat out my friends.” “Not exactly. We didn’t realize that you would be left for dead. We thought if you were willing to you could be our eyes and ears inside the order. Perhaps help conduct first contact with them. When they never returned to see if you were alive we had to scrap the idea. You showing back up would have raised too many questions. You would have been accused of being a nomad and killed, or even tested on. We couldn’t afford that type of a loss.” “And you think that they wouldn’t have detected you inside of me if the plan had gone as planned?” “We never got into specifics with that once we realized they left you for dead. We had to make a plan fast if we wanted it to work, we didn’t have time to equate all the variables. “So you didn’t care the Ta’Gue’Led could have committed you to your death?” “I was going to die in my last host anyway, I was willing to take that risk. And anyway, if it led to us gaining more knowledge into destroying the nomads that were vying to destroy us, it was worth it.” “Yeah, how did you split off from main nomad force?” “At one time, it was the only nomad force; one collective mind, one power, one mission. We were here to guard the Dom’Kavash secrets from any who entered the Empire. This sector is all but an abandoned colony in the vast empire. When the Great War erupted many millions of years ago, back before your race had even developed, the Dom’Kavash here had to retreat back in to defend the home world. They locked the interstellar jump gate within a structure, and left the nomads to defend it. inside the Dyson Sphere. They knew the energy reading from the sphere would hide the energy signals from the gate.” “Makes sense” “Yes, but unfortunately things began to change. Humanity was the first intelligent life the nomads had encountered since the Dom’Kavash left. And in those millions of years the programming of the nomads got… corrupted.” “What do you mean ‘corrupted’?” “Well it was no longer simply the Hive Mind and drones. About a thousand years ago, something began changing in the nomads. It was strange, like they started to evolve. Some started to get power hungry. That was about the time the Ta’Gue’Led formed. The Nomads split into two groups, those vying for power, using the Hive Mind to gain fleet control, and those who saw this movement as a threat to what we were left here to do. We were scared the Nomads would eventually figure out how to use the artifacts we were left here to protect. Some are dangerous, very dangerous. The Dom’Kavash harnessed terrifying power, beyond anything you could imagine. For example, some of the asteroid fields in this sector used to be planets. Destroyed by the powerful weaponry the Dom’Kavash created. If the nomads attained that power, humanity, as you and I know it in the Sirius sector, would end.” He hesitated “Anyway, a war broke out, nomad vs. nomad. Eventually the Ta’Gue’Led was pushed underground. We couldn’t contact each other, we had to try and blend into the rest of them. When the colony ships arrived we saw that as an opportunity to finally defeat these nomads. Of course they saw the same opportunity. In one last struggle the Ta’Gue’Led gathered together and fled the nomad systems. We’ve been on the run ever since.” “Incredible, so where do you fit into all this? Where do you sit inside the Ta’Gue’Led?” “Well I was part of the original group who fled, one of the bodyguards of the Ta’Gue’Led council. I… err, us… we could be considered ‘commanders’. Not top of the tier, but report right to the top guys.” “Is there anyone below us?” Gabriel asked enthusiastically. “Well, yes, a flight of three squadrons reports to us if needed, if things got bad…” “I’d say things could be very bad…” “It could be much worse. If and when we expose ourselves to the Order, that’s when you know it is bad… the Ta’Gue’Led is a small force, we would need the help of the Order and others if we were ever going to take the Nomads down and assume our destined roll defending the artifacts. Mankind is too power-hungry for such power. Nothing good would come from it, Man, by nature, is corrupt, just your monetary system shows this fact. The amount of piracy shows it. The fact the nomads could infiltrate governments with few people blinking an eyelid shows it.” “But how do we know the Ta’Gue’Led hasn’t gotten some of this same power-lust that developed in the other nomads. How do we know the leaders of the Ta’Gue’Led didn’t just take the chance because of the chance they could have supreme say without much of a threat to question their actions or rally against them… If I had my way, I would say destroy these artifacts. If the Dom’Kavash made them once, they can make them again; it would just take time. It is the only logical and safe way to end the threat of everything in this sector’s annihilation.” “That is true, but the amount of power it would take to do it…” “Place them all on an unused planetoid that has no affect on anyone or anything, and use the Dom’Kavash planet-killer on itself…” “That wouldn’t work, the planet killer has to be fired at a planet; if it fired from the planet it would only scatter the artifacts, not destroy them.” “Well then we would have to find a separate way to destroy that weapon. Into a sun’s corona maybe?” “That could cause it to go supernova.” “We have time, we’ll think of something.” “Talking about time we’re at New London,” Shi’Xiosa informed his host. “Would you care to do the duties?” “Don’t mind if I do.” Suddenly the nomadic architecture around Gabriel disappeared, he was sitting in his fighter again, staring at planet New London. It took him a few seconds to gather himself and recover what he had just seen. “This is Freelancer Zeta eight dash one requesting docking clearance.” “Affirmative freelancer eight dash one, you are cleared to land.” The trip down to the surface was brief, as usual, and it wasn’t long before the jet black Drake was stowed away in Gabriel’s personal Hanger. Leaving the spaceport he returned to his apartment to review all of this new information. Witnessing Omega Five, empty, along with all of this new information about the nomads, it was all a little overwhelming. He needed a strong drink and food to put everything together. Opening the storage unit in his kitchen he looked to see what he had. “Great… synthe paste… I think it’s time to go explore those local places to eat… he looked at the clock, ten fifteen in the morning, hopefully somewhere would be open. Wandering down the road past a few expensive restaurants that wouldn’t open until later in the day he finally found a small place on the corner of the block. “Corner Tree Café? Won’t have that strong drink but the food smells good.” Gabriel walked in and was seated at one of the two-person tables near the window. He looked down at a little screen in the middle of the table and punched in an order for a strong tea. The menu was extensive, and confusing, finally he just clicked the special; he enjoyed a surprise every so often. The worn out pilot looked out the window and relaxed to the dim buzz of the café. Suddenly a conversation at a few tables over caught his attention. Two men sat at the table, it caught his eye when he walked in, a BAF officer and a man who looked like a freelancer, most of the time you’d see that combination at a bar, not a corner café. &quot;What do you know about the mission parameters, Major?&quot; &quot;Only what I told you in the message - that there´s been some unknown people raising hell in the edge worlds.&quot; “The edge worlds?” Gabriel thought, “Omega Five?” a waiter brought his tea over, Gabriel thanked him but kept most of his attention on the conversation at hand as he stared out of the window. &quot;That´s true as far as it goes, but I´m going to provide you with some details... well, some now, some later. Rob will have the final say on some of the dicier, ´need to know´ items but here´s the basic sketch. First, you probably know that part of the Bretonian fleet was stolen and then retrieved with some losses. The people who stole the fleet were Outcasts. They wanted the crew members for reasons I can´t yet tell you, but I can say that we have strong reason to believe the Outcasts are working hand-in-hand with self-styled Liberty Governor Jack Mason, who has his own covert plan to destabilize Sirius and in doing so, take over as many of the Houses as he can. So far, we are on fairly firm ground. However, where we run into some murkiness is that it appears that Mason may not be the kingpin; we have uncovered disturbing references to a sect of religious zealots who have their own motives for aiding Mason. In addition we suspect, vaguely, that the Outcasts have their own plans, working independently of Mason. The common thread through all of these revelations I am telling you - which, by the way, is in the strictest of confidence - is that live artifacts are involved. That´s pretty well all I can tell you right now.&quot; &quot;I understand. Here´s the deal. My team is one of the best in the BAF; myself, I´ve seen about 20 years of service. We´re here to help out in any way, and it´s up to you to decide what happens from here.&quot; &quot;Good to hear. I´m afraid I´ve got to cut this meeting short; I´m feeling a bit ragged right now and I could use some more sleep. Contact me again later, or I´ll contact you, and we´ll sort out the details. So, welcome aboard.&quot; The men shook hands and the freelancer left, paying the bill as he went. “Jack Mason, that name sounds weirdly familiar.” Gabriel thought to himself, “Shi’Xiosa, does that name ring any bells?” “No, sorry” “Shame we didn’t get their names” Gabriel thought. A waiter brought a sandwich to him. “No idea what it is, but it’ll do” he thought as he ate the sandwich quickly. He wiped his mouth and stood up. He approached the officer. “Major, my name is Gabriel Urran, I couldn’t help hearing the conversation you had with that freelancer. I have some information about the border worlds you might find interesting, care if I sit down?” “I’m all ears freelancer, what is it you have to tell me?” Nick responded. “It is” Gabriel replied sitting down in the chair the other freelancer had vacated only minutes before. “Be careful what you divulge to him Gabriel. Do not expose the Ta’Gue’Led at this time” Shi’Xiosa advised. “I work for a secretive sect that has many agents throughout liberty who patrol for any possible alien incursions or anything else that seems, unordinary. Recently I was patrolling Cambridge when I overheard a rumor on the Norfolk. The bar tender told me pilots had heard screams coming from the Grasmere Ice Cloud. I went to investigate but found nothing. Continuing through the jump hole to Omega Five I was shocked to discover that both the Hessian and Corsair bases had been destroyed. There was no sign of a battle around either station. It was like they had been completely surprised and the base was decimated before anyone could react. There were no wreckages around the base, just incinerated bodies. Women, children, all killed mercilessly. This wasn’t a war between the two. An outside force did this, a powerful one.” “That is worrying news. Oh I’m sorry I don’t think I introduced myself, my name is Major Nick Warren. Let me talk to my people Gabriel, I will contact you If we need Further Information” Both men stood up and shook hands. With that the BAF officer walked out of the café and into the busy street vanishing into the crowd. “Everything is in motion,” the nomad inside Gabriel whispered. “All we can do now is sit back and await what happens next.” Gabriel paid for his meal and left. “We should contact the other agents in the area. Send one to tell the council everything; with the others we should maintain a permanent presence inside Omega Five. I don’t want to wait; if we wait it could be too late. We need to find out the second anything else happens, and perhaps we can mobilize against it before it gains any more power.” <b>summary: Gabriel gets a history lesson before overhearing konn and nick´s conversation. he introduces himself to the major and makes plans to move against anything that appears in Omega Five. </b>

I agree with wilde, and I think code´s post above reaffirms what he said, best to run big developments like that past the people it affects before you post, it can conflict with what they´re planning ect. oh, and it seems I was mistaken, Nero doesnt give the nomads another name.... oh well, time to start thinking. My next instalment should be up soon...

ok, after much looking around i cant find a ran-fic i need as a resource. it is the one where the Dom´Kavash contact Trent through telekenisis and they have thins big plan about taking back sirius. I´m sure it is right infront of me, and I´m looking right over it, but a name would certainly help...

I appologise if this isnt that great, i just got my wisdom teeth out, and after a painful meeting between stitches and a toothbrush I ended up writting this under acompanied by the light-headedness only hydrocodone could provide =P Chapter five “Ugh, what the hell do you want?” Dylan muttered sleepily as he opened his door. “Someone I know would like to have a few words with you” Still drowsy, Dylan only saw a large black object bobbing in front of his head. The blinding light behind it prevented him from discerning anything more. As his vision returned he realized it was a gun, and not just any gun, this thing was a cannon. The barrel of it was easily two inches in diameter and before he could respond the man wielding this illegal weapon slammed it into his face, crushing the bridge of his nose. Everything went bright white, before turning black. ---------------- Whats we doin’ down ‘ere boss?” “All I know is some rich prick from Bretonia is offering us good money for this idiot” the smaller one replied, “turns out he was so hard to find ‘cus he lives in this s** hole” They were bounty hunters, the kind a person would hire to do the jobs that couldn’t be posted on job-boards. They were both unkempt and lacked any sort of formal training, but made up for it in shear brute strength and heartlessness. They both looked like the kind of guys you wouldn’t want to mess with; dirty, long mangy hair, strong build, and they wore the typical outlaw “don’t mess with me” outfits; Military boots, urban camouflage, and dirty worn trench coats, finishing the look with large, obviously illegal handguns strapped to their thighs. Even the people who inhabited this place knew to keep out of their way. These kinds of guys usually carried far more weaponry than what met the eyes, and they knew no one would care if they used them; at least no one who could do anything about it. Jake and his friend, known simply as Ox had been doing this for a while. They had a certain reputation among the criminal factions of being excessively brutal and not scared of anyone. They would take any job if the pay was right, no matter whom or what the target was. These men were considered butchers, and always used straightforward and destructive methods to achieve their goals. There are rumors in the underground bars that someone had paid them to kill their families, just to see if they would do it. Out of the multiple versions that circulate through these bars, the most common one says that they not only brought back the heads of all their family members, but all of their employer’s family as well. The men trudged through the filth towards one of the exits. Jake smirked as the people cowered as they walked past. He loved the power he had over these forgotten people, these worthless piles of filth. “Please sir could you spare some credits for a hungry old fool.” Jake stopped and turned towards the elderly man. Weak and covered in boils, it surprised him the man was even alive. “You look like you’re in pain.” Jake snarled, a hint of false compassion in his voice. “Yes, yes I am,” he replied in his raspy voice coughing so hard his entire body convulsed. “Let me help you with that,” the mercenary grinned before slamming the steel toe of his boot through the man’s skull, gore splattering all over the crumbling promenade. He spat on the old mans body and chuckled before walking off. Ox following him with Dylan over his shoulder, his chuckling could be heard until they were both out of sight. As they rounded a corner other beggars emerged from the piles of trash. It wasn’t long before they were fighting over the fresh meat the newly deceased man provided. “God I hate going into that place,” Jake muttered as they arrived at their ships. “They always stink, any their always asking for stuff. I wonder if anyone would care if we just torched the place.” “Huh, doubt it boss, dem people aint werf duh chemicals dey breave in.” Ox was not very smart. He was an oaf, a henchman, just short of a human battering ram. Close to seven feet tall his neckless figure cast a shadow over most people unfortunate enough to stand in front of him. Resembling an ape or gorilla more than a man, no one knew where Jake had found him, or what his real name was. His lack of intelligence made him a surprisingly good pilot though. His build could handle extreme g-forces that would cause most pilots to black out, or at least cause their vision to narrow. And while he wasn’t much of a tactician, his “shoot first, ask no questions” attitude along with Jake’s superior flight skills made them a deadly duo in space. “Shame the inferno would probably weaken the supports and foundations of the city above. We have too many good paying customers, and potential victims to rationalize that kind of destruction,” Jake thought out loud. “And anyway, we don’t need to draw that much attention to ourselves.” “Whuh?” “We can’t kill them all, Ox.” He replied, slowly, albeit frustrated, so his partner would understand. “Oh…” the oaf replied, obviously disappointed, his shoulders slumping. For a second Jake thought he might have seen a hint of a neck on his thickheaded companion. He chuckled quietly, “God I love this stupid bastard” he thought to himself. Finally they emerged into one of the large sewage tunnels. And headed towards their ships. The two mercenaries flew Falcons, painted a dark crimson, a blood red bird of prey adorning ships, covering almost the entire top, the details highlighted in black and various dark shades of gray. The impressive decoration was finished with a finely painted black beak, talons, and fiery eyes. These ships were easily recognized, but only the bravest or most naïve law enforcement agents would ever confront these war birds. Bristling with strangely powerful weaponry. Those who had witnessed the ships in action could attest that the paint job wasn’t the only thing that made these ships different from the stock civilian craft. Ox threw the still unconscious man into Jake’s hold. He grinned as he heard the distinctive sound of snapping bones as the man hit the steel floor. “Don’t be too rough with the little s*** Ox, he’s no good to us dead.” “Sorry boss,” he replied, looking at the ground. “Its ok, just get in and set your ship’s autopilot to follow the path we took down here” “Righ’ boss, I’ll do it righ’ away.” The ship rocked violently as the large man clambered aboard, struggling to get his large mass into the cockpit. Jake looked around the tube and smiled. The tubes were filling with methane gas; he could smell it. The temporary blockages they had put in the pipes for a mile in either direction had prevented it from venting out into the atmosphere; it would all go up in a fireball as soon as they activated their engines. He climbed into his ship and shut the canopy. Ox had worked for him for years; the dumb oaf wouldn’t even realize his engines would ignite the fumes. Jake didn’t want to get cremated by his partner firing up his ship, similar lapses in judgment in his past had almost taken his life, and he wasn’t going to make those mistakes again. This little act wasn’t part of their contract, Jake just wanted to have a little fun and make sure no one could follow them. It wouldn’t cause any major damage to the structural integrity, it wouldn’t be hot enough; just enough to barbeque a few of these bastards and cover up their trail. “Ok Ox, it’s going to get a little… hot in here, just activate your auto pilot and you’ll be fine.” Jake grinned as he heard his friend chuckle. A fireball rocketed down the sewage pipes and into any subsidiary pipes as it consumed the flammable gas. Jake had set the speed of their ships to keep up with the fireball and they raced down the sewage pipes, only the onboard autopilot systems stopping the large fighters from slamming into the steal and concrete surrounding them. Jake’s shields lighting up combined with the vicious firestorm erupting around him almost rendered him blind. He heard Ox’s grunts and roars of discomfort through the communication systems, barely audible over the roar of his own ship and the holocaust around him. It was obvious he was experiencing similar effects Suddenly everything went dark. Both men saw multiple white spots as they continued flying down the pitch-black pipes. As his vision returned to him Jake checked all vital systems of both ships, everything was fine. “Excellent” he thought, “within a few minutes we’ll join the traffic heading towards the docking rings. In just a few jumps we’ll be in Bretonia, collecting another million credits and enjoying some of the finest food and drink New London has to offer. “Its good to be two of the meanest assholes in the galaxy isn’t it Ox.” “Yeah boss, real gud.” The grunt responded smugly. The trip to New London was as uneventful as expected. And for once it was almost boring. “Hey boss, when do we get ta blow somefink else up.” “Patience my friend patience. Wait til we drop off our cargo at this uptight prick’s place and get a new mission. It shouldn’t be too long unless this git invites us for tea.” “I don’t like tea.” “I know you don’t you thick oaf” Jake retorted in frustration. “If he really pisses me off I’ll let you break his skull.” “Huh huh, alrigh’ boss.” The pilot brought up a screen on his HUD that displayed his cargo hold. He saw the broken man huddled in a ball in one of the corners, a trail of blood showed where he had dragged himself along from the spot he had landed in after Ox had tossed him in there like a rag doll. “You still alive back there” Jake inquired. “What do you want with me” Dylan responded, weakly. “Me? Ha, I don’t want anything with you. Some rich bretonian prick is paying me far too much money to drag your measly carcass to him.” “If he wants my carcass why didn’t you do me a favor and kill me?” Dylan replied, the pain he was in now obvious in his voice. “Well perhaps you’ll forgive my poor choice of words. The git wants you alive, but unfortunately for you, he didn’t specify what condition. I’d apologize for Ox, he’s a little… heavy handed, but quite frankly, as long as I get paid I couldn’t give a rat’s ass what happens to you.” With that he shut the communications off with the hold. Not long after this conversation the two crimson fighters arrived in the New London system. A large fighter met them as they emerged from the jump gate and hailed them, “Mr. Hellmann?” “Who wants to know?” Jake retorted viciously. “I work for Mr. Williams” “Oh, you’re one of the rich prick’s cronies eh?” The man coughed, “…I guess you could say that. Follow me so we can make the exchange, but tell your wingman to get lost, one ship painted like that draws enough attention.” “I don’t like you talking about my friend like that” Jake snarled, “He goes where I go.” “Fine,” the man replied, reluctantly, “just follow me.” edited because i cant spell Edited by - [GR_Fallen_Angel on 7/25/2005 6:47:33 PM

yeah, ok, firstly i chose this system due to its remoteness and the thin population, it would only take a force of two battleships and their escorts to take that system, of course something larger would be needed to take out the battleship without leaving a trail, perhaps so we dont ruin it for the readers i should do the rest in an email...

ok so it´s very dramatic, but having Gab flying around doing missions ect would just get boring. if it is too dramatic (which it could be) I´ll change it. I was going to make his flight through the rest of Bretonia longer, but I thought it was long and boring... tell me if you think otherwise

ooc: here it is new and improoved, longer, and more.... sensible =P thanks for the imput everyone, I´ll make sure to ask BEFORE I post something so cataclysmic next time =P ------------- After a few days Gabriel had finally been settled into his home. This place was strangely familiar. To him New London brought back old memories, desires to see old friends, yearning to visit the places of his youth. Of course doing so would not only destroy his cover, but could potentially expose the Ta’Gue’Led. He had to completely start over, and it wasn’t until now that he realized just how hard that was to do. He had grown up here; it was hard to act like a foreigner. He shook himself out of it and grabbed his jacket and sunglasses and put them on as he walked out of the apartment. He needed to clear his mind and he had cooped himself in that room for far too long. He strolled down the hallway to the elevator and pushed the down button the doors sprung open to reveal a single occupant. A young lady about his age, five foot eight, attractively built with cropped brown hair and deep brown eyes. Suddenly he realized he knew her. He had gone to school with her. He prayed she wouldn’t recognize him. As the elevator sped towards the ground he noticed through the corner of his glasses she kept glancing at him, thankfully due to the dark shades she couldn’t tell he was doing the same. The door opened and he stepped out into the blue hue of the foyer, his long coat swirling around him. “Wait!” he heard from behind him, Emily’s familiar voice echoed through out the room. He turned, “yes?” “You seem strangely familiar, do I know you?” “No, I don’t think so,” he replied. “Oh” she replied obviously disappointed, “it’s just, you look a lot like an old school friend of mine.” He chuckled, and took off his glasses, “I wish I had known you at school, I’m sure life would have been a lot more enjoyable.” A confused look came over her face and with that the clerk at the front desk’s hands slipped on some paper and his chin hit the solid stone desktop with a thud. Emily turned to see what happened and saw hi picking himself up trying to pretend he hadn’t been eavesdropping, the scattered papers didn’t help his efforts. She turned back around, seconds later, and Gabriel was gone. Staring at the door she tried to make sense of it all. Walking into his hanger Gabriel quickly got into his cockpit and closed the canopy. The ship roared to life and the HUD appeared, preliminary diagnostics running automatically. Checking systems and stores everything looked good, full nanobots and shield batteries, all weapons operational. He reached up and pushed a button set into one of the canopy cross members. The doors of the hanger began to open, he powered up his ship and dimmed the cockpit and it roared into space. “It’s time to get reacquainted with this place,” he thought as he rocketed past Waterloo. The trip was relatively quiet. His travels only disrupted when corsair and molly raiders attacked him as he traveled through the trade lanes, all of which were quickly dispatched under a hail of fire from his Tanto and Wakizashi laser cannons. Taking a shortcut from Leeds Gabriel arrived within the Cardiff Asteroid Field in the Cambridge System. “Hopefully this will be nice and quite as well and I can head back home for some Shepard’s pie and the Horse’s Head” Gabriel muttered to himself, picturing the warm pie with its lightly crisped mashed potato topping at his favorite pub. “Have myself a pint, wow, this should turn out to be a good day after all.” He smiled to himself as he activated his cruise and shot towards the Ross Planetoid and the Battleship Norfolk skimming along the blue gaseous edges of the Keswick Ice Cloud. He arrived at the battleship and requested to dock. It was doing this that made this whole thing so long and boring, but he knew checking the police and BAF bars for rumors would be the most affective and efficient way to find out if nomads had been spotted in the area. “How may I help you?” the bartender asked kindly. “We have a wide selection of Bretonnian Brews for you to chose from.” “Fine thanks, actually I’m looking for information.” “You’re new here aren’t you?” “I guess you could say that, I’m just stopping by to grab a few supplies before heading back to New London.” “Oh? Well, if you must know I have heard something.” “Really?” “Yeah, supposedly there are screams over the comm. channels originating from the Grasmere Ice Cloud. By the time our Pilots get there the source is gone, without a trace. There’s word going around that all the corsairs that have been killed in that place are starting to haunt it. I’m not scared of ‘em though. Anyway, I’m just a bartender on a Bretonnian Battleship, I think I’ll be safe from a few ‘Ghosts’” “Oh hey, thanks for the warning” Gabriel said, starting to get off his bar stool. “Be safe out there” he heard the bartender call as he exited out of the room. “Maybe this’ll pull the raiders away from the trade lanes and I’ll get home quicker” the pilot thought as he walked towards the hanger. “Why do you pass this off quickly?” the ethereal voice of Shi’Xiosa echoed in his mind. “What you think this could be nomads?” “You are still brash my young host; impatient, you take everything too literally. These ghosts could be nomad ships.” “But he said nothing of seeing ghost ships, just the screams.” “Yes, but stories get warped as they are passed from person to person. I doubt the nomads are hear, so far from the places they have been spotted in before, but, we are not here to assume that they couldn’t make it here without someone seeing them, no we are here to route out any indications that nomads could be in this sector.” Shi’Xiosa was right, how could he have been so careless. There was a relatively unknown jump hole in the Grasmere cloud, one to Omega Five, a place inhabited by Hessians and Corsairs. They had been embroiled in a War there for years, and the Corsairs have been getting the upper hand as of late. These screams could simply be Hessians turning into space dust. But there was only one way to find out. Gabriel arrived at his ship and quickly got into the cockpit and activated the preflight check. His battery and nanobot holds were both still full; he hoped they would stay that way. He was soon cleared for launch and headed out into the ice cloud. Setting a path for the jump hole he activated his cruise. “Damn cloud messing with my sensors” Gabriel thought switching the display to show everything the sensor would pick up. Glancing down at the display something caught his attention. “Henry Jones… wasn’t that commandeered a few weeks ago by the corsairs?” he thought to himself, “I’ll have to check that out on the way back.” The rest of the trip was relatively quiet, almost too quiet. He deactivated his cruise as he neared the hole, corsairs usually prowled the area, and it would be better to clear this side just incase he ran into something bigger on the other side. The small black ship sat outside the hole for the better part of fifteen minutes. Nothing. Not one ship appeared on his scanners. “We should investigate the other side, something has happened, the corsairs would patrol this side of the hole. They do in their systems in the galactic north of here, this would be no different.” The haunting voice of Shi’Xiosa still made Gabriel uneasy. He had lived twenty-seven years with his mind to himself, it would take more than a few weeks for him to get used to another voice in there. “Why are you so uneasy?” the nomad inquired. “You can read my mind easy enough, do you really need to ask?” Gabriel replied, aloud. “I realize we were rushed from the training grounds after the nomads appeared in Sigma nineteen we had to send out all of our agents. I trusted you with my life, why have you not done the same.” “This bond takes time to get used to. You have experienced it before, was you’re original host more willing to surrender himself to you?” “We must focus on the task at hand. It is obvious you and I need more training to function at prime efficiency. We must meld as one, let me be your subconscious, let me control your reactions, you will in turn be faster, physically and mentally.” “But at what point do you become me? At what point do I cease being myself?” “Your life ends when your heart stops beating. You cease being yourself when you give up. Yes I can control you, but you can also control me. In time what you do, with or without my help will become second nature. I will merely be another conscience inside your head: another rationalizing body. Someone to stop your emotions clouding your judgment.” “We’re feuding like youngsters over a petty meaningless relationship.” Gabriel said, loudly. And slammed the button to dock with the hole in frustration. “Look whatever is on the other side of this hole could kill us both, these fast reactions you were talking about, these ‘superior skills’, when we face a foe, show me, I know I’ve been holding you back, but it is hard for a human to willingly relinquish control over their own lives, its is a biologically programmed part of us. We weren’t made to be hosts.” Shi’Xiosa remained quiet. As the small Kusari made craft exited the hole Gabriel tightened his grip on the flight stick: again, nothing. This side of the hole was completely unguarded. He headed galactic east of his location, towards Cadiz Base. The Corsairs were slightly hostile towards him, but this place was too quiet. Ten kilometers from the base still nothing. Five, four, his eyes widened in disbelief. The large asteroid was riddled with holes. The docking ports were blown out; the edges were scorched where the internal atmosphere had ignited. He powered his ship down to only twenty-five percent thrust and carefully guided the nimble ship through the blown out doors. Inside was blackened; the buildings were in ruins, wreckages of ships floated around the inerts of the gigantic hollow rock. As he got closer to the buildings he saw darker black shapes on the landing platform and around the buildings: bodies. Hundreds of them all charred, parts of them stuck into the re-hardened steel and concrete. The sheen of some parts of the steel, as well as the ripples and bubbles now hardened into the surface indicated the metal had boiled before hardening again. These poor people, pirates or not they were still people, some women and children, incinerated in their homes. “Freelancer zeta eight dash one to all ships in the system, please respond.” The comm. was dead. “Is there anyone here? Hessian? Corsair? Anyone?” Nothing. “We should report this.” Gabriel thought to himself, “the authorities will say they killed each other, but it might draw the attention of others who aren’t so ignorant, should we contact the Ta’Gue’Led? “Return to New London, we can contact another agent closer to Gammu, they’ll be able to report this to the council. Contact in anything other that person to person is far too dangerous.” “Person to person?” the pilot laughed. ooops no summary: Gabriel leaves to patrol bretonia for the first time. On the sufolk he hears that there are strange screams from the Grasmere ice cloud. He goes to investigate and used the jump hole in there to get to omega five. There he finds the whole place destroyed Edited by - [GR_Fallen_Angel on 7/21/2005 6:47:40 AM

hey, sorry, i´ve been buisy with visiting colleges and stuff, I have a chapter half way written that I´ll try to get done tomorrow, if you guys want to email me to talk about any sort of confrontation then we can, i know athena and code have my email addy so feel free to shoot me over something, sorry i havnt been very involved, i need to get better at that, i´ve just been infactuated reading it all =P