Posts by ems Viper

For this one I just cloak around the Yamato so I do not frag it with misses and wait for the Pukov to start spamming torpedoes. The moment it opens up - decloak and commence fire. Works for me. Try not to move too much and use Screamers - they are excellent tools for blasting torps. Just fire about three at each lead recitical that you want killed and it should get them fairly quick. A better idea would be to do more blindfire and dump a couple of screamers now and then in case it gets tight - do not wait for them to hit though - once you dump them move on to the next torp. Lockon for guns is 100k. Sure they might not reach that far but with the wep power you have you can start hammering at them then.

Another thing about deathmatches - the Naginata is probably one of the best ships for it because as Pure said the environment negates the advantages of most all ships - making the Naginata the best for it being naturally fast, maneuverable and in a pinch, deadly. AkulaSharpe - wow. That is some data summary. Anyhow - about the Shroud´s accel - I find that it takes only a second or two to accelerate to max speed. The same applies to the afterburner. It takes nearly no time to get up to 6-760 (kps? kph?) but it does take that last few moments to get perfectly up to a full 800. Plus - I find that missiles do not effect me for some reason in SL. I have had my share of missile warnings and even have done nothing (no ECM or ejectable CMs or maneuvering) to escape them and nothing has happened except for the few times someone fires a Havok or its Coalition equivlent at me. I can see where you draw Strike Fighter from. It is just about what I use the Shroud for in the Pukov mission - cloak, burn, nail the turrets, dogfight a bit with the Basilisks (this is what I bring screamers for - them and Kamovs), cloak above the hanger, wait for Kamovs, nail them, wait for the second squad, nail them, cloak near Yamato and nail torps. About the dogfighting bit though - I personally hate the Reaper for dogfights. Its turning circle at speed is atrocious especially when fighting Azans and Basilisks. I constantly use up my afterburner fuel just trying to keep enemies in my sights with reverse thrust. In a Shroud it is just turn and whack in a couple of seconds depending on if I help the guns along with a screamer or two. Screamers - I normally run out each mission because, yes, the Shroud´s guns are rather weak and to burn through ships in a dogfight like a chainsaw through butter I need them - if not is is more like three seconds/ship than one or less second/ship (see *). Reapers are insanely powerful on this front I agree with their huge guns. I can burn through fighters quickly amazingly quickly (if I can keep on it) with it but if I try to stay and fight a Kurgan for a bit a fighter WILL burn through even his armor in a single gun burst. Also, as stated above, you need to have a target in your sights to hit it. Far easier done in a Shroud than a Reaper. Solomans do not seem to work for me for some reason. I can salvo eight at a wing of four Sabres and have only one or two of them killed. Something about cloaking. I said it was more a hindrance at times. For me, it is, especially when time counts. It takes about two-three seconds to cloak and two-three more to decloak. Although you can line up on a bogey in that time and he will conviently not move for about ten seconds after you open fire it can decimate a Ripper wing in that amount of time. I only use it for turret blasting, ion cannons, missile threats when not engaged with another ship, and disengaging from Kurgan fights. For everything else there is a max dry speed of 400, maneuverability, and CMs. *Case in point. The Kamovs from the Pukov mission. The minute they emerge I nail each with at least four screamers - detonation within a second. If I try with just Proton Cannons it takes several seconds. With a Reaper it would undoubtedly take a much shorter amount of time but you would not be able to sit right above the hanger waiting for them thanks to the Basilisks and Sabres moving about.

So, is anything going to happen with the clan idea? Or are things still in the works? Or are projects getting in the way (I know I have a huge one due soon)?

When I said "Stay near the Rippers to begin with" I did not mean for the entire level. They do not even ARRIVE until the turret blasting happiness in done. Here is what I have done with a Reaper: (I am using the ion cannon as the "bottom" of the Borodin) First of all the ion cannon cannot fire straight up through itself. Hence if you stay directly above the Borodin or inside an upside-down cone above it you can manuver safely. Checking the exterior view during long periods of intership chat helps not dying due to the ion cannon too. It just takes some flying. As for the ships, same thing that Jambo said. The first wing of Sabres comes straight for the Rippers. Firing enough Solomans in their direction hurts them, but if you can get through their shields with guns or something they will bug out for a while. What I mean about the turrets is that if you pack some spare burner fuel you can nab the six turrets closest to the Rippers quickly. The Yamato will be fine with the antiship cannons (the more massive ones). Besides, if you work quickly enough you can kill them too. You just need to fly fast and watch your six. EDIT: I just went through the Borodin mission and shot 20 turrets before the Yamato spoke up. Any other counts? Edited by - ems Viper on 4/24/2005 6:42:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I am currently using Gamespy as "Stormblade001" but just using "Storm" is fine since that is a bit of a mouthful. I have a Yahoo AIM if that is what you mean by "Yahoo Screen Name" -- it is "S226012" Edited by - ems Viper on 4/24/2005 7:42:16 AM

You are not missing anything as far as I know (except the excellence of Soloman missiles) but you might want to stay near the rippers to begin with. Killing the upper turrets helps too. I have tried this mission with a Shroud about two dozen times and failed almost every time except one (ironically my first...I proceded to get blasted by a Basilisk shortly thereafter) and although I LOVE the ship, I now use a Reaper with a heavy Soloman/Vagabond loadout. The Shroud just does not have large enough guns or enough hardpoints to kill enough ships fast enough. As for the ion cannon -- there are plenty more places to get out of its LOS on the Borodin then on Dark Reign. Have fun and keep ´em flyin´!

I would love to join! Gamespy and Teamspeak are downloaded, but Gamespy is giving me grief. I can use the Wizard to create a profile but it never shows up in the menu on the Login screen. Any tips?

I am playing are hard right now (and am getting quite frustrated by the Boradin mission -- dang Rippers that keep getting nailed -- but that´s something else) and am trying to figure out what effect enemy missiles have too. I can normally get away with one countermeasure launch or I can just keep flying and nothing happens (unless it is a Havok). I am unable to get on Starlancer at the moment, so I can´t test the ECM on the ion cannon. It seemed to work in multiplayer though. It was Shroud vs. Phoenix on Dark Reign deathmatch. The person that I was playing with had been locked on by the cannon but then hit his ECM and somehow the ion cannon lost the lock long enough for him to dodge up out of its line of sight. "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." - Unknown