Posts by AestheticDemon

Erm, last couple of days, I've noticed that my forum sig is showing up in white text, checked the bb-code and the red colour tags are still there (using the #ff0000 format rather than a colour name), has there been a syntax change recently? or is this a code glitch?, Does the colour failure even affect anyone else or just my end? Not urgent, just an FYI...

Freelancer tends to build ingame menus, huds, navmaps etc from simple meshes, usually flat planes, in 3db or cmp format, with the texture mapped onto the plane.

Check out the folder \Freelancer\data\interface\neuronet\ and its sub folders, 3db's have textures in side them, cmp's use mat files or txm's.

You can open these with a utf editor, browse the contents and extract and import the images.

Another usefu folder to look at for custom branding your TC mod is \interface\intro\ for splash screens and front freelancerlogo.tga, which provides the 'freelancer' logo on the main menus for example.

I wouldn't hold your breath, right now all the excitement seems to be about the new exporter for autoshmuck bigbux max, and how cool it is, along with the assumption that anyone who doesn't work in milkshape must be using a budget student copy of max. I saw a thread someplace where somebody mentioned they used c4d, and got told "Dpnt limit yourself byclinging to one app" meaning "why didnt you buy max..."

I use c4d, an older version its true, 7.2, but an older XL version, replacing it would cost me best part of 3 grand (thats real british pounds, not those dollar things). chances of me swapping to max are zero (always hated the user interface, its why I ditched my copy of max 4 years ago for c4d).

So, unless you can find some nice person with a copy of the cmp/sur file specs, who also happens to be real handy at c4d c.o.f.f.e.e. programming, and knows how to make a coffee plugin backwards compatible with 7.2 xl...

Trim polys...

OK, hopefully it's finished, sent off to Lord Admiral Drake.

Been testing it, seems to work ok, takes hits ok, handles ok, shoots ok... Fingers crossed he likes it.

Ok, well, I exported the cmp, hardpointing it now to get it flyable, mad a mat file, similar textures but blueish raher than plain grey, can change those easily enough if you like the liberty look, make a second mat, lol. Made a sur, not tried it in game yet but looks ok in hardcmp...

Ok, Heavy fighter, upper end of the range, 3 shields "Ageira Detroit patented Tri-Interlink Shield System", not that much armour, fast... top speed 100, 1 thruster, with the additional engine exhausts spaced out on the wings, lot of manouvering torque, agile, 6 guns in pairs on the wings, 3 mounts on the hull, slightly heavier class, multipurpose, gun/turret/cd/torp, say 1 or 2 classes higher than the gun mounts on the wings, class 7-9 maybe. bugger all cargo capacity.

Fast agile HF Interceptor, optimized for rapid closing, agile dogfighting and plenty of upfront punch, medium armour, excelent shields, 3 custom mine launchers using standard low yield homing mine ammo, angled to give a wide triangular spread, close in from 3 sides on any fool who knocks on the back door, cm launcher also fitted...

I'll see about using the 'engine trail as FX' trick to add smaller engine fires to the wing exhausts.

Here's a screen grab from hardcmp...

Sound ok? I'll post a screenie when it's flying and taking hits... lol

Yeah the 'star wars' lookalike thing, that why I didn't go for the flying wedge look on the destroyer...
    As for APS, that's why my stuff is 'Ageira Detroit Shipyards' not 'Ageira Pueblo Shipyards', I've got those APS ships, know what you mean about the hidden bits that serve no purpose, and the surs... eewww...

"Scanning your cargo for contraband... All right, cut your engines and hand over all your Chocolate in small unmarked bars or we WILL resume firing..."

Don't forget, it is an 'archive' of old old posts, a lot of it has only historical value...

Tutes telling people they cant make surs, or edit ales or whatever, sure there is some useful stuff in there but it's a case of digging for it and knowing what to dig for.

Would be better in some cases to write new tutorial threads, based of the info, but updated...

Sounds like a job for those of us who are active on this site NOw rather than hoping Swat can find the time to ressurect the museum...

Okies...

Hull and wing meshes optimised, creases ironed out, milkshape glitchy bits removed, saved enough polys that even with a glazed cockpit, poly count should be similar to the original...

Still gotta tweak the uv's to fit the borderworld textures (must remember to pull those, gah)

Roughed out a cockpit, rough uv's, take a look before I start finalising and exporting to cmp, hardpointing the basics, engines mount etc to get it flyable...

Touch wood, its running now, sevral restores later...

Saw a russian coded thing like this but worse a few months back, used the browsers regisry access to schedule tasks to run the dos attrib command to set the whole of c drive to read only system hidden before popping up a javascript 'ms security window' telling you your drive had failed click ok to reboot...

Went through av firewall and all like a chainsaw through smoke...

Did a quick google, tried this?

Otherwise you're sounding very paranoid.

Giving that a try, been running fine for 3 hours since the last restore, went down while I was typing a reply to your post... fingers crossed eh!

8 restores in 36 hours, only visited 3 sites in the time period, all fl related, was running no problems for 36 hours plus before that, then blam every 5 mins unless caught it in time with task manager...

Better paranoid than with a machine that shuts down every 5 mins...

*sigh*

Do it the old fashioned way...

Short scanner ranges except for certain classes of vessel, no buyable scanners... Turn off the auto-brackets round non targeted ships, so no more "hey theres a pair of ship brackets over there in the shadow of that asteroid..."

Then, paint the ship black!

Stealth, they cant see you cos your ship is black, you're out of range of THEIR radar and you're not moving, engines powered down...

The old fashioned way... lol

I think the cockpit window should comprise the front hexagon and all long side polys except the bottom one. So the pilot has a good view to all sides while there is still something to put his chair on. The single window sides should be framed for realisms sake though.

@PB: Sorry, but I dont want it too TIEish

@Aesthetic: I think we could make a team if you got the time. I model, you texture

Ah right, slightly he111/ju88 ish in the cockpit, thats no problem, I'll get it set up, might mean me macking a new cockpit section that matches the shape of the existing one but framed with a glass mesh, not a problem, the uv's are still dynamic at the moment, so I can just drop a new mesh in there and the uv's are auto-apply... I'll stick in a back bulkhead too, so people dont see right through the ship.

I'll resize the mesh to a suitable scale for a 1:1 export from milk, and make up a sur mesh for it as well, do you want it 'destructable, cos if you do I'll have to polyknife the wings off and add damage fillers

Been suffering some system problems yesterday and today...

Every so often, my system does a 'scheduled system power down', trouble is I didn't schedule it...

Trouble started yesterday evening, I can clean it out with a system restore, but it comes back. When? After I visit FL web communities...

Times of attack starting and web browser history match up too damm close.

Clean system out, runs fine for hours, start my web connection, visit my regular non fl sites, no problems, visit an fl site, 5 mins later, scheduled system powerdown...

Damm thing keeps changing its reference code so I havn't been able to find the line in the registry, it's a bitch to have to do a system restore after reading the latest posts on amodding site.

I'm pretty sure it's some toad trying to put me out of action, ans for who and from which site, thats unclear at this time.

Gah!

Anyone got any ideas for finding this crud, in my copy of win 7, I'd appreciate it, my av found nothing, no iffy exe's or new dll's, its a straight registry hack messing with scheduled tasks to do the dirty, trouble is finding the right lines to kill, when all you have is a hex code thats no longer valid as the task removes it self when it runs and adds a new task to the list to do the same thing if/when you power up again... I can kill the countdown timer task with task manager, but means I have to keep a constant eye on tm watching for an unknown task to pop up on the list.

Whats worse is the notion that its an FL player who is doing this, and since I havnt heard of mass power shutdowns, it's almost certainly personal, and thus almost certainly because I use this site and somebody doesn't like that.

Ho hum...

Mancer did a ship mod, with new meshes for old vanilla ships, so a rhino 2, patriot 2, valkyrie 2 etc, cant remember if they came with upgraded stats or at least if they cam with class 10 stats, but thats here in the database, other than that nothing springs to mind.

... Do as you like...

POWER... UNLIMITED POWER...

Now my young Emo, you shall feel the TRUE power of the Goth Side...

Sorry, had a funny turn there, I'm all right now...

Erm those textures are pseudo-liberty tilables,, I can bundle those when I send it back to you, what kind of cockpit did you have in mind, sort of TIE fighterish glass n frame bubble, or a 'conventional one, former would suit the design best I think but let me know if thats not what you want, I'll press on with uv's and grouping, n stuff.

Erm...

TGA, uncompressed tga's only.
    DDS, yeah auto mip mapping, but... DDS is a lossy format, Freelancer can use dtx1 or dtx3 for sure, dunno about dtx5, havn't tried it yet, dtx1 gives best compression and worst loss of image quality.

As for final file sizes, depends on how many mip levels you actually need, a fully mipped dds might wok out larger than a single mip0 tga image, and give noticably worse image quality.