Posts by Bobthemanofsteel

One evening, just over two months ago, myself (Bobthemanofsteel) and Echo 7-7 were discussing the things we would like in a Freelancer mod. Things like a believable universe, high levels of customisation and a level playing field came to mind. This discussion inevitably snowballed into discussion of how we could achieve this, and eventually began to take the first steps to create this dream. While we were both complete novices (and in most cases, still are, heh), we had the drive needed to get the project up and running.

The past two month have been unrewarding in a visible manner mod-wise, but skills have been gained that will prove invaluable for the months of development to come. Spent mostly deciding exactly what we want to achieve, as well as securing some extra help for things such as graphic design, modelling and texturing. With their help, we hope to forge a mod worthy to sit among the other awesome work available.

The main purpose of this article is to let people know of our existence, and whether you knew beforehand or not, point you towards our new forums.

FL10K Community

Here you can find an overview of the mod, as well as take part in any sort of discussions related to development. It will also serve as the community for our official server (once we get to that far off, distant land).

We don't have a lot to show right now, but we hope to change that in the near future. Regardless, I hope you'll take the time to click over and take a closer look at our dream.

See you there!

-Bobthemanofsteel & the FL10K Development Team.

We just went through the pen and tablet stage... really?
    They had graphics tablets and PDA's with stylus' when I was in Junior primary, what, a decade ago.

You're accusing me of not liking the idea simply because everyone else does.
    Five people have commented on this thread, including myself. One of which said nothing at all in regards to the mod.
    There is... maybe two dozen decently active (at least posting) members of the forum, three people intrigued with the idea does not even make a majority of this website let alone the Freelancer community or the gaming community at large.

So no, I'm trying to 'go against the flow' as you might put it, because currently the flow is more of a slight tug on the conscience, easily dismissed by... basically anything.

I could continue and point the fact that the mod is probably practically unknown nowadays, people 'loving' it probably made up the players on the server, and the fact that there's a very big chance I'm of similar age to you, given the gaming demographic, etc etc.

Now, the chessboard idea is somewhat intriguing, I'll admit. Perhaps because it seems like less of an attempt to make a 'cool' mod, and more of an attempt at something interesting and perhaps even a tribute to Alice in Wonderland.

I'll acquiesce slightly, though. You're half right.
    A random idea does not make a good mod.
    However, a good random idea could.

As for saturday morning cartoons, no I didn't, Video Hits was more entertaining.
    However I did watch them in the morning before school, at least when I got a bit older.
    They had some great shows.
    (In my defence it was the only show I caught full episodes on in between getting up and leaving for school... Not that I regret watching it. :P )

EDIT: Forgot to mention under my first paragraph-wannabe-thing; The point is you can search pretty much anything before game and pull up over a hundred million hits, so I don't see how search returns actually back up your claims at all.

Hey the closest I get off of these forums or the other ones when something TLR related is brought up is when Michael and FF are online at the same time.

Oh and Facebook. That's a great source.

and what is wrong with random, a lot of mods are random, that is what makes them unique, or would you rather have all mods be the same, that would be really boring if you ask me.

Random is not what makes mods unique, good ideas make mods unique.
    Note that I never said this wasn't a good idea. (Though I will refrain from giving an opinion on it)

and why would google have so many search results for pot games pot games - Google Search

Hey this is a great way to see if something is popular.
    /goes to make a mod about pens.

So you can not say that it hardly has loads of players, they have thousands, almost millions.

I was talking about Freelancer, as made evident by the comment being made in the same paragraph as the one... about Freelancer.

Just so I'm sure, you're suggesting someone (perhaps yourself) makes a mod entirely based around drugs?

I aint gonna say it's a bad idea but it's... godamn random, if nothing else.

I mean, Freelancer has Food Rations too, but that doesn't make me think perhaps I should make a mod devoted to harvesting, selling, controlling and regulating Food.

..Or Scrap Metal for that matter.

Putting FL into a list of games that are obviously tailored towards those that take, or those that pretend they wish they took, recreational drugs is rather silly.
    It also hardly has loads of players.

... Who in gods name would get into a space suit to graffiti on a space station?

Just... WHY?

As far as I've ever seen, opening port 2302 and disabling ipv6 solves the problem.

All I can say is perhaps you've missed a step somewhere or the like.

But if you're reinstalling XP then it's no harm I guess, unless you've got a large amount of RAM or sommat. :P

Yaknow, when I first looked at the model (as everyone knows IGNORE DESCRIPTIONS) I imagined a moving space station sort of thing. Perhaps owned and operated by a clan of small fuzzy gnome-like peeps that flew their space station ship around the galaxy, pulling out of Hyperspace in orbit of a busy spacefaring planet and setting up shop, hoping the locals would rather get their hands on nifty stuff and sell off their excess instead of shoot and the poor little guys.

But, I guess a Coalition Mining Station works too.