Posts by Lenient

Okay, I'm kinda sick of this... been slacking with the work and it's closing into a halt. Texturing the ship itself worked well but positioning them? No. It was nightmarish. Assigning groups to polygons worked well but then again, applying them was also hard. It took me a while to figure out and the result is messy. The ship is pretty big, a transport of some sort (mostly just a test) and some parts of it is hard to texture, such as angled side panels. The UV mapping on those end up disastrous.

I had no idea texturing would be this hard. But then I also think of all the .ini editing I need to do later on. It's put me in quiet contemplation if all this work really is worth it. That .txt tutorial wasn't very helpful either. Very short and somewhat lacking in detailed explanation. This isn't a fact, but it's what I think of it.

It would be easier for me to watch a video of how the process is done, it doesn't have to be advanced or anything, I just want to see the process, not described. It might've been my wild imagination's fault aswell, due to the ship's textures looking bad on most polygons.

Any help is utmost appreciated. Deep down, I want this to work. Then I could make all sorts of ships and then maybe even evolve this knowledge into something I can work with later on in life.

I attached a screenshot here too, opened in RoadKill. The front (on the sides) look bad with textures on them. It isn't textured in the picture.

Yep, I've been using Gmax for the model as you assumed. Drizzt explained something about using milkshape for texturing but I don't remember what. It truly is frustrating to work with milkshape so I am now going to try texturing in Gmax. Also, if I have trouble with that, I will try those programs you listed, AestheticDemon!

And by the way, I am extremely grateful for your help! I mean, if this site and its people didn't exist, I'd give up instantly. Thanks again.

Hiya folks. I recently started trying out some modeling by following an old tutorial guide by Drizz4.0 or something like that. His name might be Jeremiah Meyer instead, I am not sure.

Anyway, I know this tutorial was quite short due to him wanting it to be short, I'm just not very content with my ship's look. I have all the FL vanilla models and textures. I've tried some of them out on my ship, both for hull and windows... the problem is that I don't know how to resize them. They're absolutely massive when I assign them to polygon groups. I'm currently using Milkshape. (I also read you could do this in Gmax but can I resize them there?) Is there a way to change the resolution of the textures in Milkshape? Or do I have to do it myself in Photoshop or something?