Posts by mlmyrdhin

... but since these tools never worked correctly (as far as i can tell) I can not give you an advice on this matter.

Absolutely true.

I found a few tuts on another website and followed them
    I tried to import / export with the rights plugins into Milkshape 3D, tried "OBJ. to SUR Converter", nothing work properly, it generate a *.sur file but once done, I can't load the *.cmp file into Hard CMP anymore. Furthermore, the ship seems take damage in game, but less that it should have, example: a simple bomber react as a battleship (i checked the hitpoints on the shiparch.ini file , of course).

Well, it seems the only solution I have is to change all models, it's a shame because the ships choosen are really nice and I understand better why I never saw them in other mods.

Now, one task: change about 10 models...grrrrr.

Any way, thanks for your answers

...and by the way, if any modeler want to help, he would be more than welcome
    here's my website adress:

The Threat Forums

EDIT: YAY 8o I found a working method, have a look here:

OBJ -> SUR converter tutorial by Ben Kai

Easy, simple, i created the file in less than 5 minutes. I tested the ship and all works fine :)

The sur file is a simplified version of the ship model. It is an extra file which is used by FL to handle surface and hit detection.
    If the file is missing then your ship does not take damage from gunshots or collision.

Thanks for answering

Well, I thus have a problem. I guess the only way is to create the needed file, but how can I do this? As I said in my previous post, I never used a 3D software, and honnestly, I don't even understand the user interfaces.

Hello there...

...and happy new year to all !

Few times ago, I downloaded the Asylum51 Ship Pack and I use some of the wonderfull models in it. I noticed that some don't have a *.sur file (especially Auger's and Skystalker's models). I tried and all works perfectly, the ships are viable. My questions are:
    - Is the *sur file really important?
    - Is the sur integrated into the *.cmp file
    - Or can the *.mat file joined do the job instead?

It is good to precise that I never used a 3D editing software.

Thanks by advance

It's possible to add ne texts to the Sector map. There is a plugin by Adoxa. I don't remember his websites URL though ATM.

Thanks to you, I already have an element of answers. I am going to manage to find the Adoxa's website, thank you again

Edit: I found the Adoxa's website, here's the page concerning Freelancer:

http://adoxa.3eeweb.com/freelancer/index.html

And I found the needed plugins I think:

TerritoryMP

At the risk to repeat myself, thanks

Hello there

I followed this tut:

Fun Tricks with the NavMap

All works fine except that Alcander (many thanks to you, great tut) forgot to tell where we can find "Sirius Sector" coordinates in Freelancer.exe.

Have someone the Offset or the Hex Values or Floats ( or all :D )?

Furthermore: is it possible to add a new text on NavMap, if yes, how to add the ids_name (resources.dll? or somewhere else?) and on which offset declaring the coordinates (X+Y) in Freelancer.exe?

Thanks by advance

There's a lot of free space in the NavMap, probably 75% or something, if we start with the Vanilla...But the NavMap is something like 20x20 = 400 possible systems in total

Yeah, true, we can add a lot of systems. On Freelancer Explorer (makes my life so easy :D ), all works fine, but in game, and when we open the navmap, certain systems are piled in certain sectors (in the extremities of the map), I noticed it repeatedly, whether it is on my own work or on other mods.

Sorry for late reply....

...And thanks a lot, both of you. I will fix this.

I forgot: i know i'm a beginner in modding, but if i can help you, don't hesitate.

The ale files are more complicaten than you think. Its been pretty long time since I last dealed with an ale effect. I remember that the max I could do is change the shape of an engine effect and it's color. You might want to look at some tutorials before you dive in the world of ale alchemestry. Good luck :)

yeah for sure not the easiest part in modding

huh, as you say, the most easy for now is too change the effect itself, i tried to use the program and understood absolutely nothing :D, but i will investigate in this more deeply later.

Agreed, it took me nearly 9 months to write the software, most of the time was spend figuring out how to decode the ale files.

Not surprised, anyway, thanks to share it with us ;)

Here it is:

as said in the tittle, i have a strange thing with a ship model:

- shiparch.ini OK
    - goods.ini OK

BUT... when i undock, the ship burns (???), but no damages, i thought it was the harpoints which was the cause and have edited some with HardCMP, so, less burn "points" (don't know how to say it, sorry), just one in the middle, i spend a few hours to check all files, have compared with other models if i've not forget something, found nothing wrong, any idea?

Great, thanks for the link, i gonna study this right now

thanks again

Edit: sorry, impossible to open the software, and the error message tell me nothing about any missing dll, any idea?

is there a mean to edit those files?

i explain my self: i noticed that in engine_ale.ini, all engines effects reffer to *.ale files in the same folder, so i could think that animation, color, etc.. are included in it. But how open such a file (software?)?

"Microsoft did not produce the game, they are just the publisher (and owner of the company which produced it)"

well, the same thing for me, hehe

When i said 64 bit executable, it ment that 32 bits exes can't take advantage of the power of recent machines (or maybe i'm wrong?). Furthermore, we all know that a 32 bit OS can recognize only 3GB of RAM max, with a 64 bit OS, all works fine (believe me i see the difference every day on Debian). So if all exes could be build for 64 bits, it could use the full power of the said recent machines. But of course, i don't know if to hack flserver.exe in this way is really usefull, cause as you said, the gain of performance could not be obvious.
    And if I spoke about multicore, it is obviously for the greater speed of calculation, because what makes the speed of a connection if it is not the power of the cpu?

In conclusion, the rumour that I listened seems to you thus unfounded?

I've heard that Cannon is working on this hack to allow flserver to use more than one core - so, a 64 bits executable - but he's limited by the source code (i hate Kro$oft, even if they produced the game we're all working on :D ), have someone news about this?

welcome, if you have any questions regarding FL or modding ... ask

Thanks, of course i will, i'm a beginner and i have loads of questions :)

Well the tittle said all

Indeed, i would add new sectors (get rid off the Sirius one) on my mod, but as all of you surely know, the current one is a bit limited, and to be honest, i want to force future (eventual) players to give up the "old" Vanilla world and discover. I spended my time to browse all the forums, but i found nothing about it. Isn't there a mean to edit some *ini files in the INTERFACE folder?

some of the modelers gave general permission to use the mods (often the case with ship packs) as long they are correctly credited
    i should also have the contact info for some of these guys

Thanks for reply:

for example, i would use the Stargate, Star Trek, and Star Wars Packs, not only the ships, but the stations, trade lanes, Jump Gates and Docking Rings too.

for the credits and authorizations: i would to contact:
    - Mancer
    - Porshe
    - Gibbon
    - Kuze
    - Louva- Deus
    et...
    Well a lot of them , too much to be cited here

- Achilles of GrimAxe at: Vanguard Federation of Freelancers (Antares mod) - http://vanguardfreelancers.org. But the adress seems not valid anymore.
    - XTS-ImperaTodd
    - XTS Rankor
    - http://www.XtremeTeamStudios.com, not sure it's the right address

of course, and once again, i will credits all authors for each model that i can find.