Posts by adoxa

In FL Hack, you mean? How about where it says "Trade Lane speed"? Is that not obvious enough, or am I missing something?

That's related to the USER_WARP key, which, as they say, does not work. There's also a "Teleport to?" string that would show up on the Nav Map. I'll have a closer look and see if there's anything to it.

I was maybe a little hasty in suggesting patching Freelancer. Of course, that won't work if you have the original protected exe, which is why I patch in memory. However, I might be able to go the same route as FL Hook and inject a DLL. Or since you want it for FL Hook, I'll do nothing and let them take care of it...

I shall add this to my update to your patch (which I guess I have to ask for permission, now that you're here :) ). There's also two messages I wasn't going to fix: "dock_granted" and "FreeFlight" for "NNVoice" (don't have the actual messages to hand). There is an "nnv_free_flight" message, but I wasn't going to worry about renaming/renumbering it (and I'd rather not include nnvoice.utf in the patch).

It works by intercepting the cruise charging display and detecting if control is held down (so if you don't define a secondary cruise key with control you won't be able to use it; and if you don't want it, don't use that key). The jump is done by intercepting the ship position update. I've been through the debris fields and badlands of New York without incident, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a collision (although I did happen to jump into the middle of Trenton without any apparent worries). Suns and planets are another matter, though - don't get too close!

FL Hack modifies the binaries, not the data, so it will work with any and all mods. However, it will override mods that modify the binaries themselves (for example, Discovery 4.84 uses the "almost solid" option of FL Hack by default, which you must explicitly enable in FL Hack, otherwise the normal default will be used).

Okay, now that I've had a closer look (and you've clarified what you want) I can give you a bit more information. The designation itself is hardcoded into Content.dll, so you're going to need a hex editor (I guess if there's enough interest I could add it to FL Hack, but only for single player). The offsets provided below are in hex, for version 1.1; the 1.0 offset is in brackets.

First off, the faction. Go to 11633E (11533E) and you'll see "player" (as part of "gcs_refer_faction_player"); change that to the nickname of the faction you want to be called (see the list at the end of this message). For example, to become a bounty hunter, overwrite "playe" with "gd_bh" and replace the final "r" with 00.

Next is the "formation", which is pretty similar. Go to 11753D (11653D) and you'll see "01" (as part of "gcs_refer_formationdesig_01"). The formations are listed after the factions.

Now the first number. This is a little trickier. Go to 4B49B (4BBFB) and you should see the sequence B9 14 00 00 00 F7 F1 42. Replace that sequence with BA <number> 00 00 00 90 90 90. Number is the number you want, 00 to 14 (twenty); any other number will be silence.

The dash can be silenced by going to 116314 (115314) and replacing 67 ("gcs_refer_dash") with 00.

Finally, the second number. Go to 4B524 (4BC84) and you should see 01. Change that to the number you want; same rules as above apply. If you only want one number, silence the first and use the second.

With a bit more mucking about it would be possible to make the system and base names available, or any of the other messages (have a look at the AUDIO\voices_space_*.ini files).

Factions

co_vr Ageira
    co_alg ALG
    fc_fa Alliance
    br_n Armed Forces
    br_m BMM
    gd_bh Bounty Hunters
    co_be Bowex
    br_p Bretonia Police
    fc_b Bundschuh
    fc_c Corsairs
    co_hsp Cryer
    co_khc Daumann
    fc_bd Dragons
    co_me DSE
    player Freelancer
    fc_g Gaians
    co_nws Gateway
    fc_gc GC
    gd_gm GMG
    fc_lh Hackers
    fc_rh Hessians
    fc_h Hogosha
    gd_im IMG
    co_ic Interspace
    fc_j Junkers
    co_kt Kishiro
    rh_m Kruger
    ku_p Kusari Police
    li_p Liberty Police
    li_lsf LSF
    fc_lwb LWB
    rh_n Military
    fc_m Mollys
    ku_n Naval Forces
    li_n Navy
    fc_or Order
    fc_ou Outcasts
    co_ti Planetform
    co_rs Republican
    rh_p Rheinland Police
    fc_lr Rogues
    co_shi Samura
    co_os Spa and Cruise
    co_ni Synth Foods
    fc_u Unioners
    co_ss Universal
    fc_x Xenos
    gd_z Zoners

Formations

01 Alpha
    02 Beta
    03 Gamma
    04 Delta
    05 Epsilon
    06 Zeta
    07 Theta
    08 Iota
    09 Kappa
    10 Lambda
    11 Omicron
    12 Sigma
    13 Omega
    14 Red
    15 Blue
    16 Gold
    17 Green
    18 Silver
    19 Black
    20 White
    21 Yellow
    22 Matsu
    23 Sakura
    24 Fuji
    25 Botan
    26 Hagi
    27 Susuki
    28 Kiku
    29 Yanagi

Quote from "MantisOlthoi"

Tradelane speed
    HUD speed fix
    2) Distance from dock when the docking sequence is actually initiated

FL Hack has options to change these ones.

Whilst I won't (possibly can't) do inter-system jumping, I've done the next best thing and added intra-system jumping. I've called it "hypercruise" and it's only available for single player. When cruise is activated with control held down (create a secondary key for cruise using control), it will charge the cruise engines as normal and then jump 25K; if you leave control held down, you can jump anywhere up to 50K (depending on when you release control; the display will indicate how far the jump will be). This provides an equivalent speed of 5000m/s, double that of the trade lane (assuming vanilla settings). Simple experiments have shown this could save as much as 2/3 of the travel time. You'll find it as an option in FL Hack.

Not as simple as it sounds, since there's a message for every voice. Had a quick look and managed to find "Freelancer", but not the other bit. To change that would require editing each DATA\AUDIO\*.utf file that contains a "0xB967660B" entry. You'd have to use something like utf_edit to import a new .wav file. Not really sure it's worth it, particularly when it wouldn't match the rest of the voice (unless you've got great mimicking skills :) ).

The actions themselves are already part of the game, I simply added the keys to the appropriate files so they show up on the Control screen. I have, however, modified resources.dll to add/correct the help strings, but I don't think mods use that file. Non-English users could complain, but none have so far...

Yes, that's my site. I had previously patched Hostile Universe V8.1, but when I ran out of room on Geocities and switched to 110mb, I contacted Giskard and got permission to incorporate the patch directly, hence V8.2.

As far as I'm aware (which isn't all that much :) ) the new keys were only available as part of a mod. Adding it to the patch makes it available to all mods.

I've added a "Reverse status" option to FL Hack, in the Gauges group. With this option active, the bars start out empty and increase to full. i.e. Power will show how much energy is being used and shield & hull will show how much damage has been taken. I hope that's what you wanted for 4.

I believe the order of equal factions in the reputation list is determined by the internal hash code (i.e. the nickname is converted to a 16-bit number and it's those numbers that get sorted). It would be possible to change the hash generator, but I'm not sure if it would affect anything else. I guess it would be possible to reverse the sort, too (so put friendly factions at top), but I didn't track that down at the time.