Posts by Mobius

Woo hoo!!!

I got it to work!

I threw the term "rds1enu.msi" into google and only got three pages of returns (mostly from people who had uninstalled FL and had this rds1enu error message pop up with a bunch of other programs). No help from most of them, as the individuals didn't want to reinstall Freelancer, they just wanted to get rid of the error messages.

Found out from a couple of the sites that this is a MS Game Redistributable Pack 1 problem. No real help in fixing it, but at least it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's seen it, and that it's a real program.

Checked out a site in German, out of desperation since I'm about as biligual as a tortoise (which is to say, not at all as far as I know), and they had the following in English (yay! I can read that!) and it appeared to address the problem I was having:

Freelancer Zonder Geluid
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/720238//">http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis ... s/720238//</a><!-- m -->

I followed the instructions out of desperation (although instead of deleting “l3codecp.acm” and “l3codeca.acm” I simply renamed them “zz-l3codecp.acm” and "zz-l3codeca.acm" to keep them if I needed them for something and to drop them down to the bottom of the file list in the WINNT\system32 folder).

The registry file had already been cleaned by my efforts earlier in the day (I cannot praise CCleaner enough, though there may be better programs out there) so I no longer had the "\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\msacm.l3acm" key in it.

I followed the steps almost exactly (except where noted above), reinstalled FL, and BOOM! It's Alive!!! ALIVE!!!

Sorry for the long-winded post, but if anyone else out there runs into this problem and looks here in Lancer's Reactor, I wanted it to be as detailed as they might need.

I've gotten a couple of hiccups here and there, mostly with the graphics processing, but nothing that would stop gameplay or really bother me. My system's kind of old anyway, so that might be part of the problem.

The key to the whole problem seemed to be deleting those files, and then clicking on the “WMFDist.exe” and "RDS1ENU.MSI" files.

Hope this helps anyone else who might have this infuriating problem!

Thanks for you guys for trying to help me out! I really appreciate it!

Okay, I cleaned up the system registry, made sure all previous files were deleted, and I still get the same error messages.

I also get an error message saying the freelancer.exe file can't be read.

Is there anything else I can try? I hate to have to trash this game, it's always been one of my favorites.

I'm not sure what the problem is...

I uninstalled Freelancer several months ago (not too sure exactly how long ago it was) when I was freeing up some memory for other apps. I have been trying to reinstall it all day today, with no luck.

As the install begins, it tells me it can't find DirectX and that it can't play without it. I've got the latest DirectX installed (as of Sept. 19, 2008). Then it goes on to tell me it encountered an error while reading the file "RDS1ENU.MSI", to make sure the disk is inserted properly in the drive, and click retry.

The disk is in the drive, the program won't install properly, and I can't play my game. I'm extremely frustrated, and I don't know what to do now!!! I've never downloaded any mods (that I remember, anyway) so I don't see how that would be the problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!