Posts by FriendlyFire

At least start with a game dev package. Trying to "upgrade" FL is against the EULA, will get you sued by M$ in a matter of days and will end up failing in the end no matter what. Programming a game in Assembly? Pfft.. Please, be realistic. You may be able to do a game, but doing it in Assembly would be like trying to make a car molecule by molecule. And you'd still get TONS of fundamental problems with the engine that FL uses, since most of its code is outdated. DirectPlay 8 is outdated, DirectX 8 is outdated, DirectSound is deprecated, most of what it uses would require tremendous amounts of work to get into semi-reasonable state, and you'd get sloppy software with tons of hooks and memory management issues.

Seriously, get XNA, Torque, Ogre or something of that kind and build yourself up from there. It'll still take you quite a while (a few years at the bare minimum), but you'll at least have a chance.

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but it just feels like you'll be wasting your time with this... Please heed my warning :?

And I don't think I'm doing anything bad here. I've tried to reply to as many questions in the modding area as I can. However, I'm sorry if I can't let attacks against our reputation go unanswered, I guess it's just my nature.

I will try to refrain in doing such things in the future.

What I meant is you'd have to juggle with the empathy values so they are always displayed in that sequence due to their empathy with the player. IE. the main faction is friendlier, then the subfactions are a bit less, then the next main faction is even less, etc.

Guys, this has to do with how FL holds the position values. I believe it had to do with its matrix which would lose precision at very high values, producing a large amount of rounding which eventually leads to shaking (moving just a bit produces a big rounding to a value quite far off). It's directly tied in the engine and I see no way to remove that anytime soon.

Scaling models down is the best alternative, but scaling down too much exagerates the shaking, since you only can tolerate something 20 time smaller if you scale it down 20 times.

And if you look at the very bottom of those archive pages, even those hosted here, you'll see a nice little notice.

"Service given to you by Worfeh"

I wonder who that is... Oh, wait, he's an admin at That Site Whose Name Is Forbidded, the guy who posted right before me! How coincidential that the archive is now hosted there!

Quite big, but I've made CMP planets about 500k wide and bases about 100k long. I'm still doubtful it's something else than a somehow corrupted/malformed SUR, but I sure could be wrong. Did you try with a resized vanilla SUR, just to check?