Posts by killer bee

Freelancer was made to run on systems like Windows 98. Ever since the Vista operating system was created there have been more problems with Freelancer and every other game that came out between 2000 and 2006. Microsoft never had a fix for Freelancer, which is why you may have problems setting up in multiplayer or even setting up on a server (I tried it, and it was a royal pain in Vista :x ).

It seems that Freelancer flourishes in either Windows 2000, XP and XP Pro, and Windows 7. Unless changing your operating system will create a problem for you, I would recommend the aforemention operating systems. I've been with the Reactor close to six years, and all the posts I've came across say that they prefer any OS over Vista. You can look through the technical posts in the Reactor or you may want to go to a favorite resource of mine, the EOA Players Consortium (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eoa.seriouszone.com">http://www.eoa.seriouszone.com</a><!-- w -->). Hope you can find an answer at either of them. :)

Too many people running off to the other Reactor wanna-be sites. Don't get me wrong, some of the sites are great repositories for FL add-ons and mods, but nothing beats Lancer Reactor. The old guard is here; and we're not going to give this up.

Okay. Once you arrive at Cygnus X you are going to go to the far eastern end of the gas nebula, about grid reference F-6 or G-6. Once you have cleared that, the Cygnus 51 jumphole should be waiting for you. Once in Cygnus 51, go to grid reference C-4, or just clear of the northwest corner of the gas nebula there. The Devore jump hole should be there. Once in Devore, look for the Ackarack Jump Gate (grid reference B-2), and from there head to the northern part of the Ackarack System to Amyfa. This should help you and believe me, the fun begins at that point. ;)

When you reach Jantzen Trading Post, see the bartender and pay the fee to enter the Van Maarens' System (if your credits are good). Then just go to Planet Maarens and talk to the folks in the bar. If you try to enter the system any other way, you will not succeed and the Permit Police will shoot you to pieces.

You can go anywhere in the Frontierspace Mod, but this part of the mod is awesome. Just listen to the contacts in the storyline and you'll end up in Planet Madison in no time, and will have the opportunity to possess the most powerful ships in the mod. I personally fly the Asuran ION Corvette.

Oh, one last thing, if you make it to Maarens and they ask you to go to the Vega System, the jump gate in Amyfa is disabled, but just south of it is a jump hole. Be careful.
    :lol:

If you can make Omicron Theta, you can make the Phiarge jumphole. I'll give you another hint, after that you are on your own:

Once you enter Phiarge, I strongly recommend you get yourself a powerful ship (if you don't have at least a Level 9 craft already). Once in Phiarge, head for the Lave system, visit the Zoners and get yourself a Sabre Courier. Earn yourself about 300,000 credits and head for the Amifya Ststen and see the bartender at the base near the Van Marrens Jumpgate.

In order to do this, I recommend getting Chip's Open SP Lite. That's why I said get that add-on, because it will put you in a position to get a HF or VHF and pick your starting point.

;)

I don't know, I never installed and played it. :?: Besides, the last time I tried to load Crossfire the damn mod had a virus. Thank God for Symantec.

From what they're saying on the site it's pretty good; I'm just tied up into Frontierspace. If you do try Frontierspace, I'll give you a hint: Start in Omicron Theta and go to Phiarge.

There is an SR-71 mod floating around here in the mods. But I am absolutely certain there is an F/A-37 Talon mod from the movie "Stealth" in the mod files. You can use it with or without the storyline. :)

I just returned to the Reactor myself (Reactor Forge.com is lame as hell). :(

To really get back into the game, here's what I suggest you add to your Freelancer package. These add-ons are essential:

Freelancer Mod Manager 1.31 (the best mod manager ever made)
    Freelancer SDK (which will not only give you an opportunity to create mods but will help you perform a smooth transition from the vanilla version to a new mod)
    Chips Open SP Lite (Choose your system, choose your credits)

Here are the mods I like to play:
    Discovery Freelancer 4.84 or Discovery Freelancer 4.85 Reunion
    Both of these mods are massive; with new ships and systems, and once installed, you don't need your disc! :D

TIE Universe 2.1 (an almost total conversion of Star Wars, except the good guys are flying TIE ships; you can go by the storyline or open single player and there are some servers that use this mod).

Frontierspace 1.75
    This has to be the most ongoing and never-ending mod you can play. No storyline is needed because it happens nearly 20 years after the Nomad Invasion. The two warring factions are the Imperium and the Federation. The Imperium are militaristic and are set for total domination with the help of the Nomads. The Federation are out for mutual friendship and to stop the Imperium. You get the picture. Fair warning, this mod hits hard, so be prepared! :)

Also, be on the lookout for a mission that will link you up to some of the most powerful ships in the mod.

May I recommend either Discovery 4.85 or Frontierspace 1.75 using Chips Open SP Lite.

Open SP Lite allows you to choose your starting point and how many credits you want (up to $100,000,000).

Discovery 4.85 is great because you'll have to find the missing House, Gallia, and you don't need your FL disc to play.

Frontierspace 1.75 takes place nearly 20 years after the Nomad Invasion. The main plot is that there are two warring factions; the Federation and the Imperium. The Feds want to unite worlds for mutual benefit and the Imperium are a militaristic group who want to help enslave Sirus (with Nomad help). I won't reveal any more info or missions on the storyline, but be advised, Frontierspace ships hit harder and have more systems for you to explore than any other mod.

Both these mods are good and you can find them here at the Reactor. :D

I tried using Windows 7 Ultimate with Freelancer (it's the wife's program). It was stable for the most part, but when I go in to get repairs or parts, the type bounces all over the screen, just like Vista. :x

I'm holding on XP Pro, I'll use Windows 7 for other non-Freelancer stuff. ;)

If it's any comfort to anyone, Microsoft says that it will continue to support Windows XP until 2020. Will Microsoft be around by then? I know I will, I wanna see my daughter graduate from college. :D