You are not logged in.

Please register in order to use all features of this site.

• "Lordadmiral Drake" started this thread
  • Austria

Activitypoints: 3,835

Date of registration: Jan 15th 2009

Reputation modifier: 11

Level: 42 [?]

Experience: 2,551,306

Next Level: 3,025,107

member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month

Monday, October 18th 2010, 4:10pm

Texturing Tutorial including UV Mapping

I've never managed to get a model textured decently good, though I've looked out for tuts, also Kasadians Texturing Guide. But I never got far with those.
Could someone make a comprehensive and fairly detailed tutorial on texturing with UV mapping?
The old one in the Starports archive from the old Lancersreactor lacks comprehensibility because the images are gone.
Signature from »Lordadmiral Drake« Life is a f****** game, but the graphics are super xD

SWAT_OP-R8R

Administrator

(12)

Germany

Activitypoints: 8,615

Date of registration: Oct 15th 2010

Reputation modifier: 14

Level: 45 [?]

Experience: 4,550,845

Next Level: 5,107,448

member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month

Monday, October 18th 2010, 5:16pm

Well you can do texturing with milkshape... but that is probably the worst way of doing it as milkshape as a crappy texture mapper with almost no options.
Personally I use Lithunwrap. But you can use Milkshape to great groups that you can use to map different textures (in my eyes the fastest way applying different textures to one model)

Lithunwrap
1. you open your model and assign a texture (somewhere on the right side of the main view you can do the material settings)
2. now you select the group you want to map
3. lithunwrap has different options to automatically map textures over your 3d model (planar, spherical, cylindrical, box,...)
sometimes it is enough to play with those settings to get a halfway nice layout
4. but in most cases you will have to manually adjust the mapping by skaling the texture or moving vertices (this can be done right on the main view of the window -> often by pressing the right mouse button)
5. always useful is to use the preview window of that tool... this way you see exactly the results of what you do in realtime
6. finally save your model

explaining how to texture is not easy
in my eyes it is good to play with the tools to make some experience with the different settings
Signature from »SWAT_OP-R8R«

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.
Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie" while picking up a rock.

Nym

Private

(10)

Romania

Activitypoints: 210

Date of registration: Jan 6th 2009

Reputation modifier: 4

Level: 27 [?]

Experience: 132,369

Next Level: 157,092

member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month member since 108 month

Saturday, October 23rd 2010, 2:25pm

I normally use 3dsMAX for building and texturing ships....

UVW-Mapping in 3DS Max

This is the tutorial I used for that and it's helped me a great deal to understand how UV's work. Donno if it's any use to you, but hope it helps a bit.
Signature from »Nym« The best starship I've ever built

SWAT_OP-R8R

Administrator

(12)

Germany

Activitypoints: 8,615

Date of registration: Oct 15th 2010

Reputation modifier: 14

Level: 45 [?]

Experience: 4,550,845

Next Level: 5,107,448

member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month member since 96 month

Saturday, October 23rd 2010, 4:11pm

thats good
my problem was that i never got familar to 3dmax and didnt have the time learning how to use it
usually ive been working with milkshape eventhough it has not that many functions and several other small modeling tools
Signature from »SWAT_OP-R8R«

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.
Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie" while picking up a rock.