(10)

• "Lawl" started this thread

Activitypoints: 140

Date of registration: Aug 7th 2008

Reputation modifier: 5

Level: 25 [?]

Experience: 83,195

Next Level: 100,000

member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month

Monday, August 11th 2008, 12:22am

Server problems

HI im wondering how come i cant make my own little private server on vista but it works fine on XP

any answers?
Signature from »Lawl«

Activitypoints: 240

Date of registration: Jun 24th 2008

Level: 28 [?]

Experience: 175,945

Next Level: 195,661

member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month member since 120 month

Monday, August 11th 2008, 6:05am

Re: Server problems

Insert your Freelancer disc, it should AutoPlay and you should see this.

(If not navigate to your CD / DVD drive, right click on the Freelancer icon and click explore)

Click on - open folder to view files,

This is what you should see, locate the setup.exe and right click on it and select properties.

Next click on the compatibility tab and tick these two items. Then hit OK.

Now return to the Freelancer setup.exe and double click to start installing.

There will be a final box that pops up asking for permission to run, it's OK to let it. Install Freelancer as normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation of the Quick-fix and Freelancer mod manager.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just as easy as installing Freelancer itself. We'll install the Quick-fix first.

Right click on it's setup icon / Properties / Compatibility and set these parameters. Hit OK.

Double click to start installing as normal. You will get the box pop up asking for permission, it's OK to let it.

Repeat this exactly for the mod manager.

Now This Is Important !

When the mod manager has installed, right click on it's desktop icon / Properties / Compatibility and check
that the settings are the same as the picture above. For some reason on occasions it reverts to Vista's default.

If you have followed this but still cannot connect to the server. Here's some of the reasons why.

1. Windows Defender - Disable it or allow it to Ignore Freelancer and Mod Manager folders.
2. Windows Firewall - Disable it or allow Freelancer access.
3. Symantec or anything Norton - It just screws with your computer to no end remove it with this Removal Tool. *
4. McAfee - More or less the same as Norton only worse, you can remove it with this Removal Tool. *

* Note: Remember to run either Removal tool as Admin stated above.

Furthermore: There are many Antivirus programs out there, Avast, AVG, Nod32, any of these will work just fine. Nod32 you have to pay for, the other 2 programs are Free.
Signature from »Freeworlds_Sushi« [center]If you ever wanted to play a Star Wars mod for Freelancer, Freeworlds is for you. Keep up on the latest development of this phenomenal mod in our Developer's Blogs and ModDB Site[/center]

Lawl

Private

(10)

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 7:45am

not what i asked.... lol this has nothing to do with mods

When i create a server on my laptop on wireless, it lets only myself play on it. but my computer with vista and same connection does the exact same thing and the server wont even show up
Signature from »Lawl«

Anonymous

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 5:21am

I mean no disrespect here towards Freeworlds_Shushi's post.
Never, BUT NEVER disable a protection program unless directed to do so "Legitimately". Defer to allow or permit the program to run when questioned by the protection programs.
I run windows XP with Norton on my 64 pc and until a year ago, Norton on my 32 pc. Honestly, Both Norton and Nod are good programs. Both of my pc's are running like clockwork without any problems.
Although they can be removed without the use of "removal tools", (They are usually installed with a remove program option) I don't recommend removing either of them, but rather keep them up to date and functioning.
Both have been "faithful" to alert me about possible threats. I like that.
They have also be very "protective" of my assets.
I've had no problems with either one of them.

The only time any anti-virus programs becomes a problem is when a threat is ignored. They won't protect you from "social manipulation". Or opening up emails from unknowns.
Example: you're visiting a web-page or site and you suddenly get a popup telling you that you're infected with a virus: to go to some so and so website and download their "protection program" or "virus removal tool". So, you fall for the "FAKE ALERT", go to their site and download their tool.
BAM! Your pc security was just compromised and for all practical purposes, by a totally useless "protection program" or "virus removal tool".

If you have Norton, keep it. If you have Nod32, keep it. Just make sure they're kept up to date and properly configured. They WILL let you know a threat has been detected.
If you don't have any protection program, get one and soon before your pc becomes unusable. I liked Norton especially because it can perform a pre-install scan when you insert the CD for the first time.
Sure, Norton may be frowned upon by many people, but it has to be good and for a good reason.

I'm no pro when it comes to Vista (I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out).
All I can suggest is to double check your permissions on your firewall program and anti-virus program.
It seems to me that Vista has a type of redundant protection (which must be intentional for folks who don't know what they're doing except for "loading it, plug it in and play it". (There are plenty people out there who just have to have the latest and greatest toy). Sure, if the first protocol doesn't stop you from allowing a potential threat, the second protocol should stop you. But overiding those protocols requires some sense in knowing what you're doing.

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:43pm

Quoted from ""Lawl""

not what i asked.... lol this has nothing to do with mods

When i create a server on my laptop on wireless, it lets only myself play on it. but my computer with vista and same connection does the exact same thing and the server wont even show up

That post has everything you needed to get your server working with Vista - ie, it had everything to do with what you asked...

I run a Vista server right now and this is what you need to do to get FL Server working and you connecting to it. Welcome to FL on Vista.

As to Rankor's comments, you can't run norton with vista and get FL to work. I have a server full of people with vista and everyone with Mcafee or Norton had to uninstall it to get FL to connect to the server. This is coming from experience since I run a server with over 900+ accounts. The problem is not with the the AV program, it's with Vista...

I'd also like to note, that I never had to disable the UAC, so only use that as a last resort to get your server running.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:52pm

Well, like I said...I'm waiting until they get the bugs worked out.

Respects.

United States

Activitypoints: 4,260

Date of registration: May 18th 2008

Reputation modifier: 7

Level: 42 [?]

Experience: 2,966,386

Next Level: 3,025,107

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 3:59am

First, see if this will help any. It has the biggest problems you'll have with vista covered.

Also, on the note of what Rankor said, Vista works fine, for advanced users that know how to work with it. I completely understand where you're coming from, but if you're placed in a situation like me, where you just ended up with Vista, what choice do you have? Especially since Vista doesn't allow duel booting.
Signature from »Alfa Astrix«
Everything is nothing, but nothing is not everything.

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 5:40am

Interesting. See, I have my firewall on and I have no issues with it. Only thing I had to do was make sure I'm always running in Administrator settings and don't have any Norton/McAfee running (I use AVG Free). I also changed the computability, too.

@Rankor: I agree with what you said, sadly, though, it doesn't apply to Vista.
Signature from »Freeworlds_Sushi« [center]If you ever wanted to play a Star Wars mod for Freelancer, Freeworlds is for you. Keep up on the latest development of this phenomenal mod in our Developer's Blogs and ModDB Site[/center]

Worfeh

Private

(10)

Activitypoints: 275

Date of registration: May 29th 2008

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 211,809

Next Level: 242,754

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 12:16pm

Quoted from ""Alfa Astrix""

what choice do you have? Especially since Vista doesn't allow duel booting.

This:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm">http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vist ... _guide.htm</a><!-- m -->

OR:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vistabootpro.org/">http://www.vistabootpro.org/</a><!-- m -->

Worfeh

Private

(10)

Activitypoints: 275

Date of registration: May 29th 2008

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 211,809

Next Level: 242,754

Friday, August 15th 2008, 11:37pm

Quoted from ""Aaron""

Quoted from ""Worfeh""

Quoted from ""Alfa Astrix""

what choice do you have? Especially since Vista doesn't allow duel booting.

This:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm">http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vist ... _guide.htm</a><!-- m -->

OR:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vistabootpro.org/">http://www.vistabootpro.org/</a><!-- m -->

:-) duel boot ftw and thought id throw this comment into the mix flserver runs just fine on linux :) good day.

Ohh just one of the few times i can legaly say on this boards that your a w(h)ine(er)
Cos i reccon you run it on wine.
Signature from »Worfeh« Jolt Freelancer admin <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fl.jolt.co.uk">http://www.fl.jolt.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Starport Staff member and server monkey <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://the-starport.net">http://the-starport.net</a><!-- m -->
Here to serve the communitiy.

Lawl

Private

(10)

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 11:36am

still nothing worked... my main problem is server load....

i have avg i can play every freelancer server even modded ones.. just not my own.. when i try to log in the server load goes from 0-100+
Signature from »Lawl«

Social bookmarks

Legend:

Forum contains no new posts
Forum contains new posts
Forum is closed
Forum is an external link