Custom Icons

• Hi there, Lancer's Reactor. I've recently decided to start working again on a mod for Freelancer that adds a bunch of weird commodities to the game. I'm, however, having a problem creating new icons for the commodities. I've followed Osprey's Custom Ship Icon tutorial repeatedly (making my own icons with the UTF editor and CRC generator), but every time I open Freelancer (with my mod activated) and try to scroll down to my commodity in the commodity selling list, the game crashes. Is there something I'm missing, or am I just misreading the tutorial?

• Oh I've had icons crash FL before :/ it was in the icon itself and not the ini.
    Agree with last post, easiest / fastes way is to just use MS3d to export a new icon. Takes all of 5-10 seconds to change the texture, rename the mesh & mat, and then export. If you use the 1.7.6 ver, you can import an old icon for use here, save it for future use as a template, then never worry about FL going splat again =)
    Otherwise you have to worry about internal mesh names and texture / mat names conflicting with vanilla versions. Just easier with MS3d

• It's possible with UTF without any crashes, at least I could get it working. Use TGA files, with NO COMPRESSION, 32bits/pixel.

Then open a 7kb sized existing icon with UTF:
    ->Texture Library
    --> yourship.tga <- rename the yourship section to your ship's/equipment's/commoditie's nickname!
    ---> MIP0 <- IMPORT the TGA file here.

Worked for me.

• Quote from "Firekiss"

It's possible with UTF without any crashes, at least I could get it working. Use TGA files, with NO COMPRESSION, 32bits/pixel.

Then open a 7kb sized existing icon with UTF:
    ->Texture Library
    --> yourship.tga <- rename the yourship section to your ship's/equipment's/commoditie's nickname!
    ---> MIP0 <- IMPORT the TGA file here.

Worked for me.

I want to create icons that don't conflict with other icons. But I tried doing that with another icon whose data I'd already edited in UTF and it didn't work.

• The key for using only UTF is that the CRCs and names have to change. If you're following the tutorial with 3 ways of doing it, use the 3rd method. That's the one using changed CRCs. Can't recall offhand which sections needed the changes sry :/ This is the file that was in the tools pack from last downloads list.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res7bikr/Ship_Icon_Tutorial.zip
    As for author, the pdf file lists that, but I don't have a pdf viewer installed so.. anyways, like I said, the 3rd method