Looking for mod recommendations

• My gaming partners and I have been looking for a good Freelancer mod for a while. We've tried various ones, but can't find anything that exactly suits our needs. So I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any suggestions for mods we should look into.

Our requirements:
    * Allows multiplayer on LAN server.
    * Does NOT significantly alter NPC behaviour - no using nanobots/shield batteries, no major upgrades to their equipment, no improved AI.
    * OR NPCs made tougher but attack in smaller groups (4 or less).
    * No boosted collision damage.
    * No excessive anti-cheating protocols that respond badly to dual and quad core CPUs.
    * Includes new systems and ships - the more the better.
    * New weapons, commodities and factions a bonus but not essential.

In other words, what we're looking for is a mod that expands the Freelancer universe to give us more places to explore and so on - but without substantially altering gameplay. We don't want to be swarmed by large numbers of tough NPCs that use shield battiers and nanobots, we don't want to burst into flames if we happen to bump into something, and we want to be able to play with reasonable stability - occasional crashes are acceptable, particularly for those of us using Vista. But getting kicked off every time we buy or sell something because anti-cheating protocols identify multiple CPU cores being out of sync for a fraction of a second as an attempt at cheating makes things distinctly not-fun when every two minutes SOMEONE'S being booted off the server.

So far, the mods we have tried are:
    * Discovery (NPCs too impossibly tough)
    * Frontierspace (the above mentioned instabilities with multi core CPUs)

Most of the others we have looked at don't allow multiplayer on anything but their own servers...

Thanks for reading, and hopefully someone will have some good suggestions for us! :)

• :ugeek: hmmmmmmmmm... i don't that there is such a mod that suits all your requirements, you can try Phoenix mod, it allows multiplayer and the npc's are a little harder than normal "Freelancer", but not nearly as hard as Discovery! :lol:

you can also look for other "Freelancer" mods in http://www.moddb.com but i maintain my opinion, i don't think that there's a mod that fills all your requirements, because most mods are made to keep the game interesting, so, generally the difficulty is raised a little.

Hope this helps a little :D

cheers mate!

Freelancer Alpha 1 - 1...This is planet Lisbon, docking ring cleared! Good luck out there! =D

• Solurus Systems mod by Lancer Solurus is what you want, the mod adds over 300 new systems, ships, weapons and factions, just want you ordered.

The current version requires his permission to run multiplayer because you need the server files.
    Contact Lancer Solurus by PM here on Lancers and ask him.
    The older version does not require permission I don't think but then again you should ask Lancer Solurus about that.

• Quote from "bakedpotato"

Solurus Systems mod by Lancer Solurus is what you want, the mod adds over 300 new systems, ships, weapons and factions, just want you ordered.

The current version requires his permission to run multiplayer because you need the server files.
    Contact Lancer Solurus by PM here on Lancers and ask him.
    The older version does not require permission I don't think but then again you should ask Lancer Solurus about that.

Is that mod new? :lol: I never heard of it! :o I think i'll check it out! :D

cheers!

Freelancer Alpha 1 - 1...This is planet Lisbon, docking ring cleared! Good luck out there! =D

• Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm now downloading both, and will contact Lancer Solurus for multiplayer permission on Solurus Systems. :D

Heh... it may just be my friends and I, but increased difficulty has very rarely equated with 'more interesting' for us. We've always enjoyed expansions that give more options of things to do rather than going for frustrating levels of difficulty. I guess we're all just getting old!

• where can i get the down load for the solarus mod single player -- would love to explore a 300 system mod

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned. (Syrus)

• <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://digitalbrilliance.com/index.php">http://digitalbrilliance.com/index.php</a><!-- m --> just go here but try to see if there is a compatible open single player thing for it. because when i played the npcs are really tough and i didnt even put a dent in the order ships. also it is not a mod its an installer you need the digital brilliance dlls so everything will extract into freelancer not the mod manager . everything except the server files can be found in digital brilliance downloads the dll package and the mod installer.

• I went there and downloaded a 339 meg ssm mod but the auto thing wont load gave me an error message

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned. (Syrus)

• ty the dll install worked -- it looks really nice -- Now how to play open single player ?? -- can i just use any thru the mod manager OR does this set up require something diff ??