• I feel like a n00b for asking this, but how do you set up custom encounters for your new factions? I don't know how to by hand, and when I use FLE, it keeps CTD.

• you system needs to have:

[EncounterParameters]
    nickname = ******** -> the name of the encounter type
    filename = missions\encounters\********.ini -> the settings for the encounters

[zone]
    nickname = Zone_***********
    pos = 121, 0, 5
    shape = ELLIPSOID
    size = 80000, 50000, 80000
    property_fog_color = 70.000000, 100.000000, 70.000000
    visit = 128
    ids_info = 66222
    spacedust = organismdust
    spacedust_maxparticles = 75
    sort = 1
    toughness = 16
    density = 10
    repop_time = 20
    max_battle_size = 4
    pop_type = nonlootable_ast_field
    relief_time = 35
    population_additive = false
    faction_weight = ******_grp, 10 -> the faction
    encounter = area_scout, 16, 0.50000 -> the encounter name from above
    faction = ******_grp, 0.200000 -> the faction
    faction = ******_grp, 0.400000 -> the faction
    faction = ******_grp, 0.400000 -> the faction
    encounter = order_gunboat, 16, 0.50000 -> the encounter name from above
    faction = ******_grp, 0.500000 -> the faction
    faction = ******_grp, 0.500000 -> the faction

• You can find the names of all the different encounters and the *.ini files that define them in the DATA/MISSIONS/ENCOUNTERS folder. There are a total of 42 different ones you can choose from, but most of them are very specific, and you probably won't use them very often. Their names are pretty much self-explanatory.
    FLE does some funny things under many ordinary circumstances. If you coded the encounter manually in, say, notepad, and then tried to finish the system in FLE, that could be the cause of your problem. I'm not very experienced with FLE, but I know it does have its bugs, especially when you are dealing with combinations of *.xml scripts and *.inis. These errors will show up in FLE but will probably not matter to the actual game engine.

• Thanks for that advice, but I already know that, especially with Vista (the .dll creator doesn't work). As for the bugs, I run through the script, then check everything a couple of times, then run the game checking. Oh trust me, I look for every little error I can find. I also only do one system at a time.

The biggest error that I have is the base designing. The rotations never come out right, and I have to trial and error that (pain in the arse).

The only other problem I'm having with my mod is getting ships for it, since it's just me, and I can't create my own ships, getting permissions is the only other way. Adding them and all that stuff is the easy part though...

• i know that's why. I use to use it on XP all the time on my old computer, never had a problem, not even with the encounters...