Battleship Encounters

• I'm getting back into Freelancer and want to give the single player game another go. I don't have an interest in any new ships or new systems or anything like that; the only change I was wondering about is if it is possible to make it so that you can fight battleships in regular encounters between missions. I'm sure something like this exists, but there's a lot of battleship encounter mods and it's unclear which of these is compatible with single player and won't change anything else. Battleship encounters don't need to happen every fight or even often at all, but it'd just be nice to have a reason to have torpedoes.

Since I'm already writing this, one other quick question: I know there are a number of "patch mods" that just fixed up small problems in the game (I remember a 1.4 version from BuckDanny, and I know there are others as well) and was wondering what I should go with, given that I don't want to change anything other than the aforementioned battleship encounters. If anyone can let me know which two mods I need (the patch and the battleship encounters), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.