Railgun

• > Oh my god... It's been such a long time since I last visited TLR, that everything changed, and I even got my old account removed (prolly by inactiveness :P ). Everything is so sleek now :)

> Here's the thing:
    > Lately I've been messing with many space sims. Freespace, Tachyon, Starshatter, Starlancer, but none of them were appealing as our loved Freelancer.
    > But, a few things from those games were quite interesting. One of them was Tachyon's Bora Rail Gun. It was a really good weapon against hull, horrible against shields, demanded almost 10% of total laser energy to fire, 2 seconds cool down between shots, could blow up a unshielded light ship in one shot, or take 40% of a unshielded heavy ship, and was definitely useless against bases and capital ships (I learned that one the hard way :D )
    > I couldn't find one here, so I might code one myself. But... Before I even start, do anyone have a suggestion? Maybe on its damage, price? Maybe it could be an ammunition-based weapon or a laser-based weapon? Maybe have some kinetic effect (push a ship away)? What do you guys think? Or maybe would it be too overpower (it was kinda overpowered on Tachyon, for example).

• There are already mods that contain beam / laser weapons. They often have the same characteristics of low refire rate with high energy cost making it so you can only fire it once per pass. As for making it move the ship that it has hit is an interesting idea I am just not sure that freelancer would support that kind of modification unless it was with some external tool such as flhook.

• Maybe adding mass to the bullet? I never tried changing that value. Can it be used to push the ship?

PS.: That's why I haven't found any Rail Gun mod here... They're called beam/laser weps. :) Ima check them out, but I might end up coding one myself :roll:

• evolutions and many other have laser guns. hmmm you can make stations and all sorts of other objects fire out of a gun so maybe just make it fire out some object and the impact of object does the damage.

• if you make the ammo 'exploding' like a missle/torp, then there is an 'impulse' line in the explosion definition, this gives the target a shove...

cut n paste the explosion code from a torp say, all the syntax is there, edit to match your custom guns ammo definition

make the explosion very very small, say radius 1, and make it impack based, no proximity line in the code, and use the weapon impact effect you chose for the ammo af the explosion effect too, so you dont get a 25m fireball for a 0m dummy explosion

for the gun, high muzzle velocity, low refire rate, MASSIVE energy drain ( for the mag lev field that powers a gauss weapon) and set the impulse settings there too, to push the firing ship back/off-course with recoil

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...