Getting Freelancer to Work With Vista

• So many new members to TLR are asking why their computer won't play online, then saying that they have Vista. Well after repeating myself several times, I'm making this short post in the hopes people will read it, and maybe even respond if this doesn't help. Now to the tutorial.

The reason Freelancer won't connect is because of the Vista firewall is blocking it. First, get rid of all Norton Anti-Virus, get a good anti-virus. Second, go to

Start -> Control Panel -> Security -> Turn Firewall On Or Off

Don't download anything when you turn this off, and make sure you turn it back on once you get done. Also, you may want to turn Automatic Updates off before you turn your firewall off as an extra percaution.

If anyone would like me to post on how to mod freelancer with Vista, or how to install it correctly, please email me or PM me.

• Hey alfa, its raptor7 again, yeah man heres my deal, vista updates are screwed and won't update nothing so i got that off, and i was told by some microsoft tech guy to disable the norton anti-virus, so i assume that everything should be good to go, oh the firewall got that off to, but still get the message in the attactment, what im i doing wrong?

• Im glad you brought this up, cause I've had the same problem for a long time, and just earlier today, me and Copper Core figured it out. When that comes up, it's your antivirus blocking it. I was using Avast! and did everything except uninstall my anti-virus. Did that and no longer had a problem.

• :D disabling nortons is not good enough kill it altogether and install avast or avg both of those work ok with vista

• the only thing about avast is that it doesn't let freelancer run online. Atleast not without completely disabling it.

• Only antivirus that works 100% of the time (statistic compiled by reading ALOT of threads everywhere) is AVG Free.

I have:
    -Vista 32bit
    ---running Windows Defender
    ---running Windows Firewall
    ---running UAC

-AVG Free AntiVirus
    -SpybotSearch & Destroy

You need to uninstall any other antivirus and run CCLeaner. Then install AVG Free. Install FL. Vuala! Your problem solved.
    :mrgreen:

• I'm actually running on XP, and recently, all the servers on the server list have disappeared. The message "Connecting to Global Server" at the top right never goes away, and the list never loads. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit: All my firewalls are also disabled.

• Thank you for helping with that,

i finally got the nerves to uninstall nortor, i felt i was really losing something thats why i hesitated, but yes it gone now Freelancer works, I'm ready to get back into space. :)

• Quote from "SilverFlame"

I'm actually running on XP, and recently, all the servers on the server list have disappeared. The message "Connecting to Global Server" at the top right never goes away, and the list never loads. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit: All my firewalls are also disabled.

Dude, search the forum for this problem as its been covered a thousand times. There is a fix but sick of explaining it

• no problem with fl starting ,just flmm sdk v1.3 along with tie universe 9.1,only flmm 1.3 works as long as i dont activate the mod as mentioned above.other mods do work with the exception of a few only for the simple fact they are missing ini. files,which i dont anything about ini files, much less how to correct them lol.

• Quote from "uther3867"

okay i'm trying to activate a mod for Freelancer but it's saying it needs to acess the Freelancer.exe and it's not allowed to please help.

depends how much patience you have lol could always delte flmm then reinstall i did that about 4 times kept getting messages back could not delete grew tired of it telling me no.no isnt in my vocabulary lol

• Nice Post but way offmark - the Issue that freelancer has with Vista is DirectX10 and its lack of DirectXPlay. If you have vista {directX10} and a DirectX 9 - then no problem but if you card is a new hardcoded dirextX10 card then you are frakked.

Hopefully DirectX11 will be backward compatable to DirectX9.0C - But microsofts seems intent on tying DirectX11 to Windows 7.

Your firewall issues are related to security issues of Vista which tried to everything down - but the reality of the situation is Microsoft owned a game which incorporated directXplay for its online activity and then said sod them lets take it out of DirectX 10 altogether.

• AVG updated the other day, and I now find that I can't get on with my Vista sytem.

I've already disabled user accounts and such. Uninstalling AVG worked, too, but that's not a permanent option.

Any ideas?

• Wait, Curri, do you buy PC user, and i also have the same configuration in an Aspire 5735, AVG free and spybot, works well enough for me! and i added PC tools firewall plus, works perfectly!
    (BTW, First post :mrgreen: )