New mod requires play testers

• Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I created a mod for Freelancer as at the time I felt there wasn't a mod out there for me. It is known as the New Frontiers. I see since then there is a great choice of mods and many are well polished. I still feel my mod has a lot to offer, especially for those that want the original Freelancer experience but with new places to explore.

Anyway recently I have added the finishing touches to the mod and I want some people to play test it for me to find bugs and give me some feed back. The mod contains around 27 new systems, 5 updated systems including omicron minor and major, 10 or so new ships and a selection of new weapons. The bases all have infocards, news, and rumours which reveal the underlying story behind the New Frontiers. The basic mechanics of the game remain faithful to the original except for a few additions such as the AI shields regenerating and the AI using some bats and bots (but not too many). Some areas are intended for multi-player co-operative but these are usually far off from the more civilised systems or deep in the asteroid belts and nebulae clouds.

The mod is based on the concept of the Sirius Sector around twenty years on from the single player mission. The four houses took it upon themselves to clean up any remaining nomads and that meant sending ships out to the Edge Nebula. During this process new systems and worlds were discovered and there was a race to settle the New Frontiers. It was then that the Nomads retaliated. They still had a strong presence in the area, a second base hidden and protected in the Edge Nebula. The race remains as enigmatic as ever and their motives unknown.

The New Frontiers are mineral rich and the Houses are intent on a period of expansion as the inner systems become depleted of the raw materials required to sustain the lifestyle the humans have come to enjoy.

So reply to this thread if you are interested.

By the way there are some ships in the mod that are sourced back in 2006 and I can't give credit to the people who created them as I have lost my list of where they were sourced from. So if you recognise a ship in the mod and need to contact me then please do.

• Sounds interesting I would be interested in lending a hand in testing or whatever you need. Would be great if you could show some screen shots from ingame.

• Hi,

May I introduce myself for this new test, I feel impressed for trying this new mod, don't need screenshots to
    follow you in this new adventure. I played freelancer five or six times from original to discovery 4.85 mod, via rebalance 3.56, discovery 4.84, and some others. Since I am looking for games such as FL but I cannot find
    a game with the same playability.

So if you accept me in your group, it will be with great pleasure.

Mail to: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:striker0358@hotmail.com">striker0358@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Lionel :mrgreen:

• The mod is in a second phase of development and I will release a beta version of it in the New Year. I will gladly have people test it so I will PM those who have showed an interest when the time comes. Thanks to those who have offered their services, much appreciated.

• yo
    sounds like a nice one,willing to give it a go when your ready js let me know.cheers and happy new year to all.
    hagared

• I have at last finished the mod and I want to know if the people who expressed an interest in play testing it are still available. Please send me a pm or post a reply if you are.

• As to someones question about making a server. I have no plans to do so at the moment as I don't really have the time or expertise to do so. I could probably run a basic server with no anti-cheat software etc but I doubt I could run it 24 hours a day and be on hand to bring it back up if anything goes wrong.

• The New Frontiers mod is at last finished and requires beta testing. I have set up a server - I'm not sure how much traffic it can take - but it is available on the Global Server Workaround, which is packaged as part of the mod. Just look for the New Frontiers server on the list.

Anyone that wants to test the mod then please download it from:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.skidmoremedical.com/NewFrontiers/NewFrontiers.zip.flmod">http://www.skidmoremedical.com/NewFront ... .zip.flmod</a><!-- m -->

You can either join the server or run your own. Single player has not been thoroughly tested and may have problems.

Prior to running the mod you will need:

Freelancer Mod Manager 1.31
    Official FL 1.1 Patch
    Freelancer Quickfix Patch 1.0c

They can all be found at:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://the-starport.net/freelancer/download/viewcat.php?cid=1">http://the-starport.net/freelancer/down ... .php?cid=1</a><!-- m -->

Any bugs or problems found should be reported to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:sheridena@hotmail.com">sheridena@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->.

I hope you enjoy the mod. I have spent weeks developing it and it has become a labour of love.