Where I Found The Source Code To FL

• Now that I am aware that my team and I can't change the FL engine without legal issues, I've decided to come out and show everyone how I found 90% of the source code. Here's the image that describes everything. If you have any questions, please reply to this post.

Once you dissemble the content.dll, it will show you where to find the rest of the FL engine.

• I saw that everything that basicly runs FL takes place out of the content.dll in the file you were talking about. I Dissembled it, and found that besides like 5% of the engine, the other 85% was there, just like how the description in freelancer.ini says. The other 5% is linked to other .dlls.

• You know, dumping the content of that DLL in a hex editor doesn't give you the source code.
    So if you realy disassembled it, drop us a few lines from the source here.

• thats not the actual source, its just a hex view of the dll. you can edit certain things within it but its just the same as editing the fl.exe to say increase the server cap or change the power/shield/hull bars

• As far as learning enough assembly to get going good on it, you will need to expect a 4 to 6 year learning curve. It typically takes that long if you work on it everyday. The reason for this is that FL isn't only FL. FL is also Windows, DirectX (including DSound, DInput, DPlay and real-mode DirectX), BZip and many more things. As was suggested before, at your level I would suggest one of the many free 3D game engines out there.

If you decide to do it anyways, check out sites such as gamedev.net, source forge or many others supporting programming info.

• Well, we've (Can't Decide Inc.) aquired a copy of the Torque Game Engine and the Torque Game Engine Advance that we were hoping to use, but since none of us know C++ or C#, it makes it a little hard to mess with. We have everything else we need to get started (we think), except an experienced programmer.

• dissemble is not the sourcecode, but still something.... I dissembled it too. But you can't reverse engineer something just with 1-2 clicks. Some of my friends (around 6 people) reverse engineered a little program (some kind of mini-game around 300kb of size), and it took 4 months to complete it. Someone who understands assembly should be REALLY happy now, however, as long as I know, the biggest program ever created with assembly is a tool which calculates volume of cubes...

• Quote from "Firekiss"

the biggest program ever created with assembly is a tool which calculates volume of cubes...

As in just input lengths of x, y, z and it gives you the volume?! :o

Since most games were written in assembly language back in the "day" (Is it NBA Jam was one of the last written in assembly?) I'd expect that to be an incredibly bloated pos tool!