BEST GRAPHICS OF FL!

• I downloaded the latest version yesterday and had a close look on it today
    ...indeed Plasmafire and Crossfire 1.8 offer very similar graphical changes

a few things i have noticed on your mod:

1. some effect changes based on textures look pretty good on some effects but based on the texture it does not look good on other effects using the same texture... in several cased the textures of those effects look a bit weird and streched
    2. i noticed that you very often use extreme big textures for stuff that gets not rendered in a size that requires such giant textures (it doesnt make much sence to use a 1024x1024 texture on an object which is as big as a fingernail on the screen)
    3. you seem to use tga very often... -> why? dds have the 25% of the size of a tga and show the same detail grade if they are compiled correctly
    4. sometimes i experience texture errors based on the fact that you dont use mips but only a mip0 (but no other mip)

you could reduce the size of your mod to maybe 150mb ... maybe even less without quality loss
    if i would be you i would completly rework those textures and do some error checks (just an advice)
    that at least would be user friendly since not everyone has the best i-net connection to download your mod (and it seems your server is also not the fastest)

• Other than the fact that OP-R8R has a point here...honestly now...don't you think this new look in FL is a little exagerated? first of all the oversaturated systems don't give too much realism to the game, and in my opinion it doesn't make it look better...for example the osiris in the nebula...you've pretty much lost all the lighting that was is the unmodded game...there will always be pros and cons when you do smthing new...this is only my opinion, cuz for now I'm sticking with the old fx of FL...the proton star looks nice though...having played plasmafire I must say that with the new textures even though more detailed they're a bit of a drawback cuz the planets look somewhat smaller than they already are... Anyways in the end it's your work so hat's off to you friend...keep it up...maybe one day you'll make a fan out of me :)

• First, the beta5 doesn't have these graphics, it has older ones. And the osiris... well when I took the screenie, it was lightning! :) I'm still working on to make it better however, there are lot's to do.

• Well these chages if they will be added to any mod will definely improve the gameplay.Many players will once more like to play the game
    and one of the reasons for that is this good graphic too ^^

I like plasmafire its a very cool mod (i saw pictures in plasmafire gallery).

So carry on your great work.Im sure you will create go things for FL.

• I mostly like the explosions. Would you be releasing a community pack with the explosions? It might bring me back into fiddling with Freelancer again. Also what is the bloom_effect dll hook thing?

• I made some around Omicron Theta then merged them together, sorry about the low-quality:

(the shield actively protects the station, that's why it haven't gone red)

• dont forget about the Graphical needs now, what will they be? if the game runs on any normal GPU from 16 MBs to 32 mbs, this would take like 64+ MBs. and what about Shaders? will this support it ? its amazing :)

-|**|-
    15.4" WSXGA Widescreen (1280x800) // Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.51 GHz X2 // 2 GBs DDR2 667 MHz Dual Channel // 120 GB SATA @ 5400RPM // Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 // Intel GMA 965 (X3100: DX10 | VS/PS/GS 3.0 | 354 MBs[Shared]).

• Well, the original FL ran on my old PC (P2-392MHz / 192MB Ram / GeForce MX440) fluently, so I think that any PC that is somewhat up-to-date can take it.

• normal shaders require a minimum of a chipset graphics set of 128mb+. From just looking at the graphics (Since I'm running 2GB of ram, and a Geforce 7600 Go with 256MB video cashe), I would say that a 64mb chipset may work, but to be safe, I'd use a 128. As for the Ram, at least 600 mhz, but now a-days, I've never heard of anything less than 1.2 ghz. Just my two cents.

• Quote from "Alfa Astrix"

normal shaders require a minimum of a chipset graphics set of 128mb+. From just looking at the graphics (Since I'm running 2GB of ram, and a Geforce 7600 Go with 256MB video cashe), I would say that a 64mb chipset may work, but to be safe, I'd use a 128. As for the Ram, at least 600 mhz, but now a-days, I've never heard of anything less than 1.2 ghz. Just my two cents.

XDDD a Geforce 7600 to run Freelancer XDD, the game originally asked for 16 mbs min, and i havent see any diference from my GeForce 2 IGP (32 MBs, DX8, non vertex/pixel shaders), to my actual
    Intel X3100 (358 MBs, DX10, PS, VS 3.0)

-|**|-
    15.4" WSXGA Widescreen (1280x800) // Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.51 GHz X2 // 2 GBs DDR2 667 MHz Dual Channel // 120 GB SATA @ 5400RPM // Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 // Intel GMA 965 (X3100: DX10 | VS/PS/GS 3.0 | 354 MBs[Shared]).

• Absolutely amazing work. Never in my mind would I expect Freelancer to look like this. You've done an awesome job Firekiss.

My only concern though is that things will be a little too bright. Will there be any way to scale the bloom effect down?

Anyways love the screen shots.

• I mainly took bright, big things so that's why you think it is. Anyway I also added more contrast (which is dynamic), so for example if you look at the bright side of an ice-planet, it will be 100% white, but will go down to normal in 2 seconds (which will be still bright, because light reflects better from white surfaces). Others will be normal... "normal"

• another question :?:

is it for both SP and MP, so all the changes will apply for the campaign? and what about the size, does it really uses 2 GBs for the mod? what about loading times, i guess there must be a larger waiting time for loading screens, also are u working on NPC from videos, i mean their skins textures and that?

and framerates? are they afected by the mod, becouse i use to play it 60 FPS in dark systems, and 30 - 40 in ice fields and nebulas :| :?

-|**|-

• when is this spected to be on the downloads section? how many weeks / months are there for the final release, there should be a count down or something xDD :mrgreen:

-|**|-

• That looks pretty cool all we need is VERY HIGH poly models; and to force some AA/AF through Nhancer/Catalyst.

PC Specs:
    Intel C2D E8200 @ 4GHz(AF pro 7)
    2x EVGA 9800GTX 512 (831/2000/2500)
    EVGA 780i SLi
    4GB RAM @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-10-2T with Sinks
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w PSU
    CM 690
    250GB/XP32
    250GB/Vistax64