The official Freelancer 2 (Lonestar)

• Credit: I found this news from the "Wing Commander CIC" website.

Freelancer 2

At the time of Digital Anvil's closing, the company was working on two Xbox 360 titles, one of which was dubbed with the codename Project Lonestar (the other, Project Enwor, I'll go into at length at a later date) but also known by the name of Freelancer 2. I have not played much of the original, so forgive me that I cannot compare the sequel to the original. The player would have again been in the shoes of Edison Trent as he attempted to find out the truth about the mystery of the space station disaster that Trent survived whilst alluding some shadowy groups. Anyways, this game (along with the other game that Digital Anvil was working on) had they seen release, in my opinion, would have been the best first-party Xbox 360 titles thus far and this one reminded me of Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, which was one of my favorite Xbox games. A shame this one will not see the light of day.

Links: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sttnw.blogspot.com/">http://sttnw.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

The blog has about 3 pictures so head over there and view them.

And then another Digital Anvil artist posted some Freelancer 2 prototype ships at his website:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://deanmccall.com/game.htm">http://deanmccall.com/game.htm</a><!-- m -->

• I just found another artist, Mark Goldsworthy, thanks to "Wing Commander CIC" website. He posted some Freelancer 2 movies. From the look of them, the player has a garage and he can choose any ship that he owns. Cool.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mgoldsworthy.com/">http://mgoldsworthy.com/</a><!-- m -->

• old news
    lonestar was nothing but a concept... something Digital Anvil played with until they got closed
    not even something official

• Someone should try and finish it. Or atleast vreate something like it. Just looking at some of the videos, it would royally kick a$$

• Quote from "Alfa Astrix"

Someone should try and finish it. Or atleast vreate something like it. Just looking at some of the videos, it would royally kick a$$

In case you haven't noticed, it was designed and made for the XBOX, the sequel was always meant to be on that platform. As has already been stated, its time to move on, plenty of good projects about. The concept of FL remains the intellectual property of M$ and they will never let that go. While its nice to dream about what if, truth is it aint gonna happen.

Someone should try and finish it. Or atleast vreate something like it

alfa why not be that someone?
    Freelancer still has a lot of possibilities and the work done by modders has kept it alive for a very long time.People seem to be finding out more and more ways to change and modify FL.
    Gameplay and balance is the most important thing in my view ,shiny graphix ect dont make the best game (look nice tho)
    To make a complete game would take teamwork and a hell of a lot of commitment (look at WC Saga or Standoff for instance)
    There are game engines available such as Freespace and Vega Strike ,whether they are suitable is another matter .
    Without modders and coders and fresh blood(who should get every bit of support and help that the community can give) to replace those who have gone ,new ideas and mods wont happen.
    Without a community to give that support,and lancers is a part of that along with SWAT ,Starport and others, FL will die .
    I have only just started learning about how to mod (thx for the archives bytwy) and I see that there are others still becoming interested in modding.
    I doubt Ill be creating a mod just yet tho lol.

• Give me strength. I suggest a read of the topic will fully explain the fact that there IS NO FREELANCER 2. Project Lonestar was for the XBOX and it was cancelled years ago...

• In a weird way, I'm glad it didn't come out. Can you imagine a release for the 360? It would be completely unmoddable. Maybe M$ will run dry of computer game ideas, and resurrect the project. Look at all the things their resurrecting now, like Windows 7.

Don't tell Locke what he can't do.
    And remember always to regenerate!

• according to what i understood after talking to 3 of the designers of project lonestar, is that the game was in beta testing already it was basicly complete. the team had been finishing up and removing glitches and errors within the game. Befor they could finish the project their company merged with a diffrent company and all running projects were cancled including project lonestar and project enwor. both games were nearly completed, freelancer was set to be released withing a month or so. infact one of the designers has a beta of the game and plays it so to me it looks like they should have finished both projects and then merged.

• Quote from "1swiftfox1"

according to what i understood after talking to 3 of the designers of project lonestar, is that the game was in beta testing already it was basicly complete. the team had been finishing up and removing glitches and errors within the game. Befor they could finish the project their company merged with a diffrent company and all running projects were cancled including project lonestar and project enwor. both games were nearly completed, freelancer was set to be released withing a month or so. infact one of the designers has a beta of the game and plays it so to me it looks like they should have finished both projects and then merged.

Hmm...
    Beta indeed - woudn't it be interesting if someone were to pick that up and finish development? Might be very nice :)

&quot;A little excitement in an otherwise dull day...&quot;

• that info is not correct... project lonestar was nothing but a concept.... not even close to a beta version (official info from microsoft)
    there is much false information on the net... including the claim that all vids that are presented to be lonestar ones are really lonestar... ive seen at least 2 which were taken from a movie that digital anvil did work on before FL got released.

another thing that speaks against that beta and the close release of lonestar is the total lack of any information about that game during that time... every gaming company would at least do some PR work in order to see the responses from the players before they push the development of a game that far (just to see if its worth the money)