Multiplayer Issues

• I would seriously think that its the firewall here, for starters, you only need one - so you can disable the Service pack version, and run off your normal one (or vica versa). Next up - I don´t know of the 1.02 patch - there is the 1.1 patch, but you won´t need that.....however, I would manually allow FL access in the firewall, then reboot the computer. My firewall means that everytime FL changes, I have to grant it fresh access - however, I do that, and then STILL get a ´slide in´ message saying its trying to access the net. Unfort, I cannot see the message, and cannot ALT TAB to desktop to grant it. However, I DO know where it is located, and can wave my mouse cursor correctly over it and click. Thats a McCafee (or however its spelt) firewall, so you may need to do the same too.

• I have McAfee as well, I did grant it access everytime it needs it but it still just freezes where it says "Connecting to the Global Server..." then quits to desktop. EDIT - Yes, my Direct X is up-to-date. EDIT - I uninstalled it, then installed it, went to multiplayer, clicked "Yes" for that stuff it says, then clicked on "INTERNET" then it went to the place where it says "Connecting to Global Server...". It then freezes for about 5 minutes and then quits to desktop and says: "Minimum Memory to Low". Edited by - SpetsnazCCCP on 1/16/2005 4:03:02 PM Edited by - SpetsnazCCCP on 1/16/2005 7:00:17 PM

• Virtual memory error Control panel>System>Advanced>Performance settings>Advanced>Virtual memory change Click ´System Managed size´, click ´Set´, click ´OK´ and then reboot.

---- Call me Arania Humans Fear what they do not understand. And i doubt you understand me. Never say `Eat Me` to a giant snake. Bad idea, believe me...

• I have not he patience to wait for 5 mins for a server list to load... how long is it supposed to take when its working properly? Surely not that long! This is a recent game! Even old crap like counterstrike shows servers in the first nanosecond!

• Your internet connection speed only affects the connection time and lag, not game physics, how much RAM have you got?

---- Call me Arania Humans Fear what they do not understand. And i doubt you understand me. Never say `Eat Me` to a giant snake. Bad idea, believe me...

• I also have problems playing online, although my game doesn´t crash, it just waits at the server list, saying "connecting to global server" - which it never does. I have given Freelancer all permissions to access the internet in ZoneAlarm. Could it be something to do with the fact my internet is supplied over LAN by the univeristy I am at? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Completely confused new modder seeking to make modding simpiler!

• My spec is not an issue, it far surpasses the basic requirements. Access rights have been given to both the service pack and zone alarm. Still no luck and no further progress than "Connecting to Global Servers" or whatever it is... I really want to do some multiplayer, but there appears to be no way in which i can do this. If anyone has ANY ideas, it would be appreciated. Has anyone else run into these problems (its sounds to me like many have and are seeking the same answers)... Thanks

• If you go <A href=´http://www.lancersreactor.org/t/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=36650&amp;forum_id=20&amp;Topic_Title=Help%21+Stuck+at+connecting&amp;forum_title=Freelancer+Technical+Issues&amp;cat_title=Freelancer&amp;M=False´ Target=_Blank>here</a> or <A href=´http://www.lancersreactor.org/t/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37145&amp;FORUM_ID=19&amp;CAT_ID=3&amp;Topic_Title=Global+server+connection+issues%2E&amp;Forum_Title=Freelancer+Multiplayer+Forum&amp;M=True&amp;S=True´ Target=_Blank>here</a> I explain the reasons for not being able to connect to the global server. I´ll go over some reasons in summary: 1. DirectPlay, part of DirectX, is not working. This is the driver that connects with the FL global list server. Sometimes happens after installing a new game, new video drivers or other things related to DirectX. This is the most common problem <i>even when DirectX is up to date! </i> Doesn´t hurt to install the latest version (currently v9.0c) again. 2. Blocking of OUTGOING ports. I have heard of only ZoneAlarm and certain ISP´s (like those run by colleges) block OUTGOING ports although setting of the TCP/IP filter and gateway blockers can block certain ports in either direction. FL client and it´s connection to the FL global list server and other FL servers is through OUTGOING ports so you should see why you may not be able to see the FL global list server. Turn off ZA or find some way to test port access. 3. Ocassionally the FL global list server is down or something is actually blocking the FL global list server. Pinging 207.68.172.234 (which is the FL global list server fllistserver.zone.msn.com) will tell you if it is up and accessible or not. 4. While it´s possible there could be other network factors but frankly if you can surf the Internet, then most of these concerns are not a concern. 5. Possibly just a bad FL install. To insure all the correct permissions and such re-install FL on an admin account. While I´ve never heard of a &quot;bad&quot; FL install, ocassionally a re-install clears out problems due to modding, hacking FL client files, etc. 6. Unknown. Rarely no matter what you just can´t get to the FL global list server. In that case direct connect to servers. Get IP addresses, add them to the freelancer.exe command line and they´ll show on your FL global list server display in the FL client. Please understand DirectX, the Internet, open ports and the FL server itself must all be up and functioning correctly for these FL servers to display. I wish this blurb could be a sticky because there are so many people asking this one question and answers are scattered about the forums. _____________ Earendil SysAdmin of Boston Freelancer server Server community website &amp; forum: <A href=´http://www.earendilsplace.net/´ Target=_Blank>EarendilsPlace.net</a> (<A href=´http://www.earendilsplace.net/modules.php?name=Forums&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;t=153´ Target=_Blank>server rules</a>)

Earendil[[]RN] Sysadmin for Boston Freelancer server [[]RN] Honor before beauty