Mod Idea

• I've seen tons of games out on the internet that pertain to growing/selling and harvesting marijuana not to mention how support groups are trying to make it legal. So my idea should not be shunned away just because it has to do with a drug, a lot of freelancer has made up drugs that are traded within. Why not make a mod based on trading specific plants per say putting names on things doesn't mean it is what it is, like the name "white widow" could be anything, point is a mod based on that sort of thing would be a popular mod.

Take a look a games like potfarm on facebook, it has over 900,000 users. there is a way to work around everything, you just have to be creative. Imagine the possibilities, in game it could still be illegal, could have gangs instead of clans, cops, thugs, snitches, narcs, DEA, FBI.

The ideas are endless as to what can be done with freelancer, we just need to think out side the box.

Please don't frown upon the idea, I can't be the only one who has thought of this.

• You're not the only one to think of this...

The creators of the game put in 'cardamine', a drug harvested from plants on one of the remote worlds...

In the X universe games like x3 reunion, you can build space based industrial complexes, to grow and process 'teladi space weed' or 'argon space fuel', basically pot and moonshine.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• so what about naming them after some of the popular brands, skunk, Hindu kush, Colombian Gold, Afgan Dream, White Russian.

or close to it but with space names, Hindu Stardust, California deamstar, Galaxy Ganja, lol I'm just going off the top of my head, if I knew how to mod I would have made this already. I would be playing it as well. LOL

• This idea could be used as a mini-mod into a mod. Like you put this entire drug cartel into a specific factions. I.e : Outcasts. Outcasts love Cardamine, they could make bands inside them, or well "groups"/ factions to fight for that resource, refine it and create exotic drugs like those you specified. Also the Liberty Rogues like cardamine, and California DreamStar can make them insane, and a little bit dangerous for common traders. But this entire drug dealing can be made up within the allied pirate groups and not only. Diversity with those commodities are profit-wise for pirates :)

• Well, it wouldn't be a challange for a professional modder. What would be is to create a player-useable facility where you can grow or proccess commodities, similar to what AestheticDemon mentioned.

Well, juzomone, you got all the info you need for souch a mod here. Read a few tutorials and start modding!
    If you got questions don't be afraid to ask. Good luck!

• to go along with the idea, you could have a far off asteroid field where it is the only place to mine/farm for these illegal goods (kinda like those that sneak into the woods to harvest) and have troops patrol those fields and as pirates or other bad guys sneak into mine, they in turn bring more goods into the game. so lets say the mod is setup with no illegals except what is in the field, have it patrolled and watch as more and more spread through sirius. it would be fun trying to sneak in and out of the field without getting caught, put mines in certain areas so you can't just zoom out of there with thrusters, you would have to be skilled to fly through it and not blow up or get caught, kinda like putting up barbed wire.

I'll look over how to make mods, I figure you have to be good at coding and I'm a designer more than anything, I can skin things but code is not something I'm good at. I will have a look into though. I wish I could just be an idea person for people and watch magic happen, I'm always coming up with new ideas.

I won't lie, of course I'm a toker, but I have also known that any game or program that involves marijuana usually is full of people playing on it. Lets look at some of the games I know that deal with illegals and never had trouble from laws or frowned upon.

Freelancer
    HighGrow
    PotFarm (plus tons more facebook games that deal with pot)
    DopeWars (even played by police as stated on the news one time)
    NARC (old NES game)

and I'm sure tons more.

I really think something like this would bring in a vast amount of members and activity.

the 420 system, a big green planet with a black potleaf on it (pirate system of course) space stations with graffiti on them, DEA busts, could be a regular cops and robbers ordeal, cartels, freighters that stay in hiding from the law and loaded with illegals.

Not to mentions other commodities like bongs, pipes, papers, blunts, scales, and tons of others. it's a RP I could surely get into. instead of clan wars you would have gang fights, fly by shootings..lol tons of seeds and various strains. or even a license to carry for those with medical needs haha

• Just so I'm sure, you're suggesting someone (perhaps yourself) makes a mod entirely based around drugs?

I aint gonna say it's a bad idea but it's... godamn random, if nothing else.

I mean, Freelancer has Food Rations too, but that doesn't make me think perhaps I should make a mod devoted to harvesting, selling, controlling and regulating Food.

..Or Scrap Metal for that matter.

Putting FL into a list of games that are obviously tailored towards those that take, or those that pretend they wish they took, recreational drugs is rather silly.
    It also hardly has loads of players.

... Who in gods name would get into a space suit to graffiti on a space station?

Just... WHY?

• Hey guys, havn't you seen the latest Tandy catalog?

ROVD - Remote Operated Vandalism Drone

Carbon fibre homeycomb monocoque bodyshell, light, strong, minimal radar signature, 4 internal weapons bays capable of taking standard 1000ml sparay paint canisters, with room for two more on the optional underwing pylons.

Self assembly kit, 99.99 plus post and packing, batteries not included...

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• some people just can not think out side the box, sure there is food in the game, lets make them munchies, we have nachos, corn dogs, pizza, HOTWINGS! I mean come on, I'm just thinking out side the box here and going with what people love, and rather you want to believe it or not, there are A LOT of people who enjoy the thought of dealing with out it being illegal, even people that do not do drugs, which is why we have games that allow us to do this. and damn right I would fly a space ship to a station and graffiti my name on it..HA!

the point is we are at an age where anything to do with marijuana is popular and it has been this way for years. I never once said anything about any other type of drug, I am talking specifically about the green buds. I know some people will frown upon the idea but I promise you that the numbers of those who would enjoy this mod would be vast, that is if the mod were to be made.

and what is wrong with random, a lot of mods are random, that is what makes them unique, or would you rather have all mods be the same, that would be really boring if you ask me.

oh and take a look at potfarm which has over 900,000 active monthly users http://www.facebook.com/potfarm

and why would google have so many search results for pot games pot games - Google Search

So you can not say that it hardly has loads of players, they have thousands, almost millions.

• and what is wrong with random, a lot of mods are random, that is what makes them unique, or would you rather have all mods be the same, that would be really boring if you ask me.

Random is not what makes mods unique, good ideas make mods unique.
    Note that I never said this wasn't a good idea. (Though I will refrain from giving an opinion on it)

and why would google have so many search results for pot games pot games - Google Search

Hey this is a great way to see if something is popular.
    /goes to make a mod about pens.

So you can not say that it hardly has loads of players, they have thousands, almost millions.

I was talking about Freelancer, as made evident by the comment being made in the same paragraph as the one... about Freelancer.

• ok first off part of the reason "Freelancer" doesn't have a lot of players these days is because the game is old, so in turn it's mostly old grumpy people playing on it, which in turn is why you don't see random stuff like this, I played on a mod once that was so random that they had bender as a robot flying around, and a toilet ship, as well as an outhouse, and who would think that is right, but people LOVED it. I am sorry that you're probably the only one who does not agree with this. as it was stated before I am not the first to think of doing this. I just bet most people can't think as far outside the box as I can. I would probably call it the Alice in wonderland mod just to really make it interesting and fun to play in, and have a giant chessboard floating in space and make ships look like the pieces. why not, it's something random and I do believe alice in wonderland had a few things to do with drugs.

as for the google result, why did you choose pen? ofcourse there are a lot of pen games, we did just go through the pen and tablet stage of technology so that was kinda pointless to point that out.

and I agree a good idea is also what makes a good mod but random does too, like I said you don't want to be like everyone else. I'm starting to think you see only black or white and not in color or the gray area. did you not watch Saturday morning cartoons when you were a kid?

• We just went through the pen and tablet stage... really?
    They had graphics tablets and PDA's with stylus' when I was in Junior primary, what, a decade ago.

You're accusing me of not liking the idea simply because everyone else does.
    Five people have commented on this thread, including myself. One of which said nothing at all in regards to the mod.
    There is... maybe two dozen decently active (at least posting) members of the forum, three people intrigued with the idea does not even make a majority of this website let alone the Freelancer community or the gaming community at large.

So no, I'm trying to 'go against the flow' as you might put it, because currently the flow is more of a slight tug on the conscience, easily dismissed by... basically anything.

I could continue and point the fact that the mod is probably practically unknown nowadays, people 'loving' it probably made up the players on the server, and the fact that there's a very big chance I'm of similar age to you, given the gaming demographic, etc etc.

Now, the chessboard idea is somewhat intriguing, I'll admit. Perhaps because it seems like less of an attempt to make a 'cool' mod, and more of an attempt at something interesting and perhaps even a tribute to Alice in Wonderland.

I'll acquiesce slightly, though. You're half right.
    A random idea does not make a good mod.
    However, a good random idea could.

As for saturday morning cartoons, no I didn't, Video Hits was more entertaining.
    However I did watch them in the morning before school, at least when I got a bit older.
    They had some great shows.
    (In my defence it was the only show I caught full episodes on in between getting up and leaving for school... Not that I regret watching it. :P )

EDIT: Forgot to mention under my first paragraph-wannabe-thing; The point is you can search pretty much anything before game and pull up over a hundred million hits, so I don't see how search returns actually back up your claims at all.

• Sorry if I felt a little attacked over the subject, I think I was expecting it so I thought that was the case, though I do see your argument.

I was not saying the mod should circle around drugs as much as I'm saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the names of some commodities to known names of those that are popular like white russian or blue buddha. which is also why I stated it could be a regular cops n robbers or bad guy and good guy type, as I said, instead of clans it could be gangs and DEA and whatnot, I also stated that the plants could be harvested from one asteroid field and not found at every space station, which would leave a lot of room for other stuff as well, not just drugs. you make valid points and I do agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I also think you're not seeing the big picture I'm seeing.

you have a vast amount of space where within only one system would hold that field of dreams and have that system protected by the DEA or police and the rest of the systems would be a mix between the normal systems we have now and those that pertain to the law as well as those that are occupied by pirates and thugs, and that would leave plenty of travel time to be caught with the illegals and sentenced to say jail time or fined. those that do not want to take part in the drug dealing could be cops or DEA as well, or just be normal citizens and snitch out the bad guys to the law.

I'm trying to open the idea to more than just a mod about drugs but make it a place where everyone has something to benefit from it.

as for the pen and tablet stage, I was talking about these touch screen phones with pens and what not, I know graphic tablets have been out for ages but not every could afford those back then, as where now days everyone owns a touch phone which most started with a pen. and I was just trying to make a point. and honestly if you and others did not speak your mind about the flaws or bad stuff with these ideas than someone could go wrong and not realize it, so your thoughts and criticism are welcome. again I'm sorry if I felt attacked, as you seen in the first post, I think I was expecting it and just put up a defense before anyone even posted.

and I want the mod to be cool and to be intriguing as well as interesting.

• I wont say this is a bad idea for a mod, as frankly, it's at least as good as some of the ideas for mods already out there, and better than some currently under development.

Would it 'ressurect' FL, I doubt it, but you could do far worse as a starting concept. Some of it is already in the game, more or less, it would only need minor tweaks to bring it to the foreground.

For example, the cardamine trade starts on a single remote pirate owned system, there are sales outlets, along the routes from the 'golden triangle' to the rich ubanites, and the closer you get to said urbanites, the higher the price. There is one 'space corner dealership' that has a write up saying they get the stuff from another faction who come there for that specific trade. And the drugs mule faction does run freighters to that base, but... None of the damm things ever carry the drug...

Fixing that so each pirate smuggler ship carries a small quantity of primo grade along with its regular boring cargo is very easy to do, and I did so in my mod, because it just irritated me to see drug shippers who never shipped any drugs.

Some of the other suggested features, however would be awkward to implement.

Don't let Bob put you off, there is a possible mod in this, not as 'wow' as you might hope, but not as 'duh' as Bob might think. If you dont think you could manage the mod yourself, you might still find a modder here to help you with it, or information on learning to mod for yourself.

Oh and just for the record, 1 I'm allergic to pot, so I never touch the stuff, and 2 I'm old and grumpy, ask Bob if you don't believe me...

;)

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

• well I'm surely not going to let anyone ruin the idea for me as I love freelancer and I love to toke, I won't lie as I to am older, I wouldn't say an old fart lol but I'll be 34 this month, I've been smoking for as long as I can remember (probably since I was 11 and that is city life for ya)

As I stated before I can skin and am very handy with programs such as photoshop and even various 3D programs, it's the code I have a hard time with other than web code. but I like to think I'm a learning machine, I love to learn especially when it's to benefit others by entertainment.

and again I will try to figure it out but if it seems too difficult for me to figure out I will ask for help, or ask that some of these ideas be implemented into a current mod. actually I would love to check out your mod Demon, sounds like tons of fun.

• Wow, I have to add that you all must have been doing this for some time, I just took a look at the Freelancer Tutorials section and there is a lot going on there, I feel like it may take me years to learn all this stuff. I almost didn't know where to begin but than I seen a post about commodities and I would think that is where I would start..not sure, I may get lost quick..lol like I said, code is not my thing.