Digital Anvil might be gone...

• Okay, so it is gone. But who says there can't be a Freelancer 2? Maybe with better single-player, improved soundtrack, more fluid controls, capital ships, and stuff like losing formation at a jump gate fixed. (who wants to wait in line behind NPC's for jump gates... grr)

What would you like to see in a Freelancer 2, if there ever would be one?

What would make it different? How would you improve upon the first one?

I for one would like to see mining become profitable, customizable avatars, ability to paint ships, and use many of the items that are traded (such as using optical chips to upgrade lasers or targeting systems) - which reminds me, modable/upgradable ships built right into the game.

Perhaps even some stuff EVE-related would be nice, just not the lame combat/missions of EVE (well lame IMO anyway).

• Personally,
    I would like to see the storyline carried on perhaps into an expanded Nomad set of systems where WE have set up bases and even colonized Planets. Not so sure how feasible that would be... But, I want to take the battle TO the enemy. I would also like there to be the solid option of using a joystick, just as an option. I believe it would be also important to see many ships remain while others are introduced. Just my take.
    Lancerwarrior

"A little excitement in an otherwise dull day..."

• First, and most important:

BALANCE. We need more balanced ships, weapons, everything!

I'd also like to see a better storyline, maybe a couple years after the end of the Freelancer 1.

• Surely the numerous expansion mods available address most of these issues, as to creating profitable mining its just a matter of pricing the ore to give the reqired profit or creating new commodities as required.

Ships and avatars I can't comment on but there are ship packs avaiable using the same ship model in a range of different textures which will provide some degree of customization.

Equipment evolution is again a matter of implimenting research and development into the mod i.e. weapons, sensors, engines etc can be improved by investing your hard earned credits :D .

If there are a wide enough range of equipment options engines, powerplants, sheilds, weapons and sensors essentially you have modable/upgradable ships for every ship that available.

As to storyline there's lots of Freelancer variants out there just pick the one you prefer, personally I like continuing the SP storyline, new Nomad systems ?just build them :) .

More than one ship? multiplayer allows 5 on each account and most mods have a lot more ships available than the vanilla game including capital ships and large cargo vessels.

Balance in a mod is probably one of the most difficult things to achieve since its all to easy to get a ship/weapon combination that works better than all the others so everyone ends up using it, but it can be done.

My point is that all the stuff on your wishlist is out there maybe not on a single mod but several come close, just try out what's available and pick the one that comes closest to what you like to play.

CK256

• HAH! Thanks for the advert Schwarz :P

Shattered Worlds is exactly how I'd improve FL. The team over there have asked themselves the same questions and have done what they could to improve upon the game within the limits of the current FL engine.

Hijack:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.com">http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.com</a><!-- m -->
    A cooperative project between members of over 6 different FL communities. Until recently it was developed in secret....

The goal for the SW mod was to be more than a glorified ship/system pack like alot of other mods. While some people might like that sort of thing (Im not knocking on them mods, this is just the mod I've always wanted to play), the SW DevTeam focused on balance first then moved on to other things adding content along the way. On thing you will notice is the cohesiveness of all the ships, you can easily look at a ship and go "yup... thats a Bretonia ship", I think this is conductive to much better player immersion within the FL environment and makes everything feel more cohesive and like it belongs. We got a cool mining set up too. And chances are you've not seen this sort of mining setup before. 10 Fighter Classes, 7 Freighter Classes, workable/unabusable cloaking, dynamic economy, new FX.... Thats just the tip of the iceberg... Basically its Freelancer with better balance, high quality, and alot more content...

• I hope this isnt out of order due to the 3 URL's per post limit, if so I apologize to the administrators. But I'd really like to give people an opportunity to see a few teaser vids....

Some random low quality teaser vids (test version of the mod)
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.com/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=237.0;attach=63">http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.c ... ;attach=63</a><!-- m -->
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.com/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=237.0;attach=64">http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.c ... ;attach=64</a><!-- m -->

Here is a vid of one of the miners (test version of the mod)
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.com/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=237.0;attach=62">http://www.freelancer-shatteredworlds.c ... ;attach=62</a><!-- m -->

• What about the Coalition, we know the alliance moved to Sirius but what happened to the Coalition, and the Dam'Kavosh were did they go, we have seen the Nomads so they are already a give-in to be in a second FL, so lets expand the universe so that other sectors can be traveled to and not just Sirius, it would be so easy to make it so large that one would never visit all the system's in a lifetime, but the story line must be the first concern, Trent in the final part of FL is asked by Orilion to be the eye's and ear's of Liberty, use that as a launch pad to thrust the story into a new and larger arc, all in all the possibility are endless.

-=- The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -=-

• About the Coalition there are rumors that they also launched sleeper ships, but to another sector, and the Dom Ko`Vosh went to the galactic core after having ended their civil war.

• Now that would make a good catch, The Alliance move out and expand only to find the Coalition, the war start's again, then right in the middle of this conflict the Nomad's make a big push into the area, this makes the Alliance and the Coalition join together to find the Dom Ko`Vosh near the galactic core so that the Nomad's are once and for all taken out of the Milky Way galaxy.

Well just a thought anyway.

-=- The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -=-

• You might be right - I saw a clip on television about this and it does look very, very good. I hope this becomes our next pursuit as Freelancers!

&quot;A little excitement in an otherwise dull day...&quot;

• As for the Coalition, I'm not sure how alive they might be. In a video I saw on youtube, depicting that the video from the packed retail disk may have had a large amount cut from it. Of course that's not saying that the nomad didn't go and take out the coalition too, but they did destroy earth's solar system if that video is legit.

[center]

[/center]
    [center]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWPFUzxgRU[/center]

• Let's try and clear something up here regarding these videos. In the original release of FL back in '03 the video that shipped with the game was the short version which made no mention of the nomads or the destruction of Earth. Therefore we can assume that was intentional and the Earth is still spinning.

Fast forward a few years. The long version of the video appears. In this previously unreleased and much longer video, we see the introduction of the Nomads and the fact they wiped out our solar system.

So which is the correct version? Who knows, because the first release made no mention of this so we can assume it was cut and forgotten about. The later release i think by one of the budget labels included the extended video to drum up sales even though Digital Anvil never released that version.

I prefer to think the solar system is alive and well as per the first video but that's just me

@ griffinpyros
    Sort your YouTube code out fella, you can embed the video you know :)

• I wrote a basic story on the origins of The Order as part of the introduction
    to the "20 Years Later" mod I've been working on these past two years.

According the the "long version" of the intro, the solar system was blasted by the nomad mother ship. However it also tells about General Aticus Rockford
    who was lucky to survive the shockwave (on the far side of Pluto).
    Rockford, left for Sirius to warn the colonists about the "new threat".
    To make a long story short, his decendent is "Gasper Orillion".
    Forgive any misspellings when you encounter them. The story is also embellished to add the new factions I had created for it.
    This also proposes that not everyone was exterminated, since a portion of the Coalition was outside of the solar system at the time it was destroyed. It also gives rise of the where-abouts of the coalition since they're assimilation by the nomads.
    The story also ties up some loose ends related to how and when The Order was formed.

Here is the story line:
    20 Years Later
    FREELANCERS: The Return

Background

Origins of The Order.

In the 23rd Century...
    Originally, When the nomad mother ship blasted the Star in the Sol System, General Atikus Rockford survived the resultant shockwave on the far side of Pluto. Shortly afterwards, he left for Sirius to warn the colonies about the new threat. However, during that time; a remnant of the CSF was outside the Sol System on reserve patrol when the star
    was blasted out of existence. They returned to find what was left of the Sol System and most fell victim to the nomad collective. Those who were assimilated by the nomads left the Sol System and headed for the unknown Edgeworlds of Sirius, slowly changing into something hybrid between nomad and human.
    However; there was a few who managed to escape assimilation and they found a clue left behind by General Rockford, then followed him to Sirius by a different path just ahead of the nomads, out of their reach.
    After his arrival in Sirius, General Rockford was met with skepticism and disbelief by the colonists regarding the news of the Solar System and the nomads. He was soon dismissed as a lunatic, stripped of his rank and soon swept away into guarded seclusion to prevent causing mass hysteria among the colonists.
    Now a civilian, Atikus Rockford languished in his confinement for two years until the handful of Coalition remnants arrived in Sirius. Once they located Atikus Rockford, they broke him out and soon found refuge among the ranks of the criminal element. Apparently, it was the Liberty Rogues who listened and believed the fantastic story about their original home system being wiped out.
    Rockford was then restored to his former rank of General and through
    consensus of his peers established a new organization in secrecy that would take advantage of the knowledge they possessed.
    This secret organization was named, The Order.
    Over the years they amassed knowledge and information about the nomads
    and followed the trail of the assimilated coalition to the edgeworlds.
    It was in the edgeworlds where they founded Toledo in Omicron Minor and
    established their primary base of operations there in the heart of the nomad systems.

That was over 800 years ago.

During the last nomad conflict, Marchall Rockford, a decendant of Atikus Rockford, led a force of The Order to defeat the nomads at Dyson City
    and restore peace to the Houses of Sirius.
    His Flagship was a Liberty Dreadnought prototype that he and his crew
    comandeered from the Liberty Navy secret shipyard in the Alaska System
    accessed only through Zone 21 in the New York System.

That ship was christened, the Osiris.

It was during that time they also rescued the Liberty President, Jacobi from certain compromise by Chancellor Neihman who was already a host for the nomads.

You know Marchall Rockford by the name, Gasper Orillion.

The Story Continues:
    Since their defeat at Dyson City, the nomad collective gained control of a race of beings known as the Drex whose hostility to humans was matched by only by that of the nomads. The plan they drew up had the most sinister purpose. The total elimination of all mankind.
    Only a race known as the Entu stands in their way and hold the keys to our existence.
    The nomads have called upon their mother ship to begin the sterilization process of Sirius. It now heads for a system in the edgeworlds where this process is to begin.
    News has spread throughout Sirius of the approaching menace.
    The task of preserving our home, our lives and our way of life has now, once again come upon our shoulders.

Other news:
    New systems have been found and colonized.
    Many factions who were once enemies now patrol together to preserve integrity of the new systems from the encroachment of the nomads.
    A system known as Del'Kavan has been found with one inhabited planet known to be populated by the mysterious Domkavash.
    The nomads themselves have made a comback into most major systems, and now a constant conflict continues as the major houses fight to survive.
    Recent discoveries using the Domkavash Mapping Crystal has brought the human race into contact with previously unknown intelligences. The Uhmrah, Entu, Drex, Kadak, Sqrell, Machines and pehaps one mysterious race so terrifying that even the Domkavash and nomads fear them. They are refered to as "Ghosts" and "Voices in the night". They are known as the Specters.
    The Sirius Defense Force (SDF) stands as the spearhead of the Sirius Vanguard to protect the colonies.
    Several old stations that were destroyed during the nomad conflict have been replaced as reparation by the navies. A few new stations have also been built or reclaimed for use by the various factions.
    Miguel Benitez son has yet to be found and returned to Malta to reap the 6 million credit reward. Finding him won't be easy and retrieving him will be even more difficult.
    Edison Trent lives somewhere in the borderworlds and continues his freelancing. Rumors say that exposure to the nomad power cell has caused unusual changes to his DNA. Some say he lives on the newly terraformed planet Akira in the Kyushu System under an assumed name.
    Jun'Ko Zane (Juni) went on to attain the rank of Vice Admiral: Chief of Intelligence with the LSF. She is Chief Liason to the SDF.
    King was killed in action when his patrol was ambused by Outcasts in the Badlands. Although his flight was winning the skirmish, nomads suddenly appeared from nowhere killing everyone in sight.
    President Jacobi serverd another two consecutive terms as leader of Liberty then retired on a recently terraformed planet in the Colorado System.
    Tobias, Trents' mentor left Leeds and now resides in seclusion on planet Cambridge.
    Dexter Hovis, lost his final race to a stray asteroid that drifted into his race course. Rumors abound that his demise may have been at the hands of Q's men for ratting him out to Trent during the nomad conflict.
    Gasper Orillion, leader of The Order is rumored to have vanished through the hypergate in the Dyson Sphere in a fit of madness. His status is unknown. Speculation exists as to what is on the other side of the hypergate above Dyson City.
    Kress has ascended to become leader of The Order.
    With the help of Sirius Engineering, Agiera Technologies and a derelict ship of the Entu, The Order developed new ships to compliment their reliable Anubis.
    Lord Hakkira went on to become Shogun of Kusari serving his people well for several years until his assasination at the hands of the Golden Chrysanthemums. As a result, the GC and Blood Dragons are in a civil war for control of Kusari.
    Reinland is now under the leadership of Chancellor Schmidt and under his guidance, new peace accords have settled old disputes between Reinland and the GMG.

• Even if the long version is the correct one, the Coalition might have already build an outpost in another system.