A few tips...

• 1. Make a score system for mods page, i dont wanna try 200+ mods.
    2. Host the best mods in their own official page/section, So you could link to it.
    3. Hosted mods are official supported mods by this forum, and are given more attention to get them packed with people.
    4. Dont host too many mods, try to get people playing a few mods, you dont want 1000 servers with 5 peops on each server, you want 5 servers with 1000 peops on it.
    4. In short, try to narrow down each part of this forum. Just host a few mods, dont make forum a mess of millions of topics. Make it user friendly enough so even my grandma could install a mod guided by the site.
    5. Filter mods. Delete abandoned mods that still have issues like, bugs etc. Delete all mods that no one wants to play anymore.

QUALITY BEFORE QUANTITY

conveniently arranged instead of a mess like its now!

To make something pro you need to get rid of the waste first!

Do this and you have me as new player once more...

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.
    True humility is the only antidote to shame."

Click image to go to creators site.

• Thanks for your input, you are right.
    Ill see if i can most, if not all of it done somehow.

But I also think that new mods that are not famous yet should also get their chance. Maybe we find a solution to support all somehow without loosing the overview.

Ofc new mods needs to get a chance!

But make a section like: "hosted mods" for the important ones.

Make a "Finished mods" section for the rest and a "in development".

Then do competitions where modders can try to get in the hosted section.
    Its simple, the only thing you need to do is build a wall between the 2 parts of mods hosted/finished.
    If a modder wants to get into the better area he needs to get support from players and a good mod score.

Hosted mods are:

• Finished
    • Have support forums
    • Are in the top rank list.
    • Have lots of supporting players.

Finished mods are:

• At least in Beta stage

In development:

• rest

• Its maybe best to ask a few pro's who played a lot of mods to sort them out.

You need to trash all old mods that arent finished anyway.
    Just let some peops sort them into the 3 categories. and trash the rest.

I can not help you with it, i never played fl mods before.
    But i think the 225 mods can be narrowed down to less then 100 for a start.

• I just go on in this topic if youre fine with it. Posting all my ideas in 1.

New indexing;

Dont do: Downloads - Mods/Items

Do: Downloads - Family - Child - Items

Like:

Downloads - Crossfire Mod - Mod Versions - v1.82
    Downloads - Crossfire Mod - Mod Patches - v1.7a

Downloads - Crossfire Mod - Videos - BloodGuard Recruitment video
    Downloads - Crossfire Mod - Non official Addons - .......etc

• Also, for some mods multiple versions are online or the most recent one on the DB is simply outdated

For example the Hamburg City Server mod, which has v3.03 on the DB, but is actually 3.17c now

• Also, for some mods multiple versions are online or the most recent one on the DB is simply outdated

For example the Hamburg City Server mod, which has v3.03 on the DB, but is actually 3.17c now

Thats why the old download DB needs to get converted to a new.
    Flush the old system, create new one.

all you have to do is replace...

• no no no
    please not
    TLR is sharing resources such as the downloads with the SWAT Portal - that would mean to loose everything over there aswell and it would mean to loose much valueable stuff
    we could talk about a different structure... yes
    a cascading one if you wish (eventhough i made the experience that most people have problems when it becomes too complex)

• Cant you work together with the SWAT portal on this renewing system?

The index way i talked about isnt complex, its logical, the way it is now is complex.
    You need to search for the right versions now.

The;
    Download - Parent - Child - Item
    way is logical and faster to browse.

Maybe you could ask them (SWAT Portal) to cooperate on this change...
    I see that the DB is shared.
    Who has the DB under control? SWAT or TLR ?

If you like to revive FL you need to change the curr syst.

Like Lordadmiral Drake said, there are newer versions.
    And ofc there are abandonned mods.
    Incomplete mods...

I know its hard to make choices, but you have nothing on files that are broken/incomplete/etc.
    Some need to select what to keep and what to trash.

Anyway, the most important change i like to see is this;
    Score/Rank System on files.
    Improved indexing of files.

• i dont have to ask them
    I am the admin. Problem is that the current layout fits perfect there.
    I would need to check how far it is possible to share resources if the structures are different.
    It is purely a question of what the software allows and how far I can alter it without loosing the update compatibility.

• Okay....

Somebody who doesn't play modded fl says 'lose the mods nobody plays'

Which ones are those, exactly?

'lose the buggy unfinished mods'

Hmm, which ones are those? Is 'Really Cool MP Server My Fav SciFi TV Series Total Conversion Mod version 7.15.08c' a finished mod? Is it TOTALY unbuggy?

I know that my Ptah Gunship upload isn't finished, its just a ship mod, the 'finished version isn't finished and has a damm sight more than just a ship, or even a bunch of ships. So you could kill that, it's old, and doesn't have (or need for that matter) a support forum, and you're more likely to find an mp server with the Ptah included in somebody elses mod than JUST running my measly little ship mod...

But, there are presumably people out there who HAVN'T downloaded it but who might want to, to get a 'clean' copy to put in THEIR mod.

This is also true of many of the smaller, older mods on the list.

Need to exercise some care here methinks.

AestheticDemon

Terror Trooper #666

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

• Okay....
    Somebody who doesn't play modded fl says 'lose the mods nobody plays'

First: I did play lots of mods for other games, but never for fl.
    Second: Im not stupid noob, im a programmer, and im a experienced user concerning mods (i can make them myself).

So if you have problems with me giving tips from my experience or something, bad luck.
    If i got the wrong impression, sorry.

If you think; "what is that guy talking about, he never played a fl mod, and now he tells what to do?"

See it this way.

I am a member of a lot of sites, from programmers sites, mod sites, i create sites, animations, secured scripts like the PHPMailer reCaptcha script on DBmasters.net, etc you name it and i possibly did it.
    I encountered the problem "unorganized" or "overwhelming" etc in various ways.
    And all i want to do is to give you tips from my experience. Ive seen bad things happen just because of bad management from the site.

My strongest characteristic trait is that im a perfectionist.
    And because i LOVE this game, i like to see it flourish and become really active again. Thats why i offered my opinion.

See it from a new users view, a user who doesnt know how to, or even doesnt know the game yet.
    For such a user the quantity of the mods is overwhelming.
    The indexing is unlogical, and the help on how to is often not pointed out propperly.

For this site to be a succes you need to optimize it for noobs.
    Thats why i said my grandmom needs to be abled to install all, guided by this forum.

And i didnt say "trash all" i said "trash all unusefull stuff"

-----------------------------------------

Questions for new users;

Q; Ok fl looks good, what mod to play?
    A; I dont know, search one of the 225 you like and give it a try, and tell me if its ok.

This needs to be; Look at this section from main page, we have pointed out some good ones. And we use score system for mods.

Q; I dont know how to install the game propperly and how to put a mod on it...
    A; Somewhere in the forums you probably find the awnser. Maybe you need to read multiple topics. Or google it.

This needs to be; On main page is a button "Help" it guides new people to a page with links to the right sections.

I myself was waiting what would happen and am curious how long it takes for this site to change a few things.
    Im acting from a noob perspective. So the reason i didnt even play FL yet is because this site isnt pointing me to a few mods or servers who are active.
    I start playing FL when this community has decided to give new players a quick start.

I wonder how many players or mail invites have (re)visited this site and thought "i dont know where to start", "i dont know if servers are even active", "this site isnt pointing me to the info i need", "is my fav mod from the old days still active?"

----------------------------------------------

And plz tell me, if you arent making a section for it right away, what mods are best to play? What r cool mods with active players?
    Where to go?

• We definitely take such suggestions in consideration but we also have to take care of other views.
    however such changes and the work on this site takes time
    ... work has to get organized, articles have to be written, parts of this site have to be completely recoded atm... and structural changes have to be done... all that takes time
    in the past 5 weeks much more work has been invested into this site than in the past 5 years before

please show patience with us as we do this in our very short free time