Hello fellow lancers,
It's been a long time since I've played Freelancer, and like many folks out there, Star Citizen has got me itching for another run.
I've been through the previous thread on Windows 8 compatibility but would like to add this thread to enlist some additional compatibility help. I'll summarize what I've done and the error I'm running into. That thread has over 1,000 views so I'm assuming that others may be in my boat as well.
- Launching Freelancer v1.0 or v1.1 on Windows 8.1 crashes after Freelancer splash screen with error stating, "Freelancer has stopped working."
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
- Asus laptop with i7 @1.8 GHz (3.0 GHz), Nvidea Geforce 745M with 2GB VRAM, 8GB DDR3 RAM
- Can't find my original copy of Freelancer which is packed in my attic somewhere
- Installed via a downloaded .iso
- Have patch to v1.1 available
- Have No CD executable available
- Have mini iso available (to mount a virtual CD using PowerIso, etc)
- Running vanilla installation from downloaded disc causes error "Insert CD-ROM"
- Running Freelancer.exe (NoCD version) displays Freelancer splash screen followed by error "Freelancer has stopped working."
- Running Freelancer.exe with mounted mini disc image does the same as the running the NoCD exe
- The details of the "Freelancer has stopped working" error are:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Freelancer.exe
Application Version: 1.0.1223.11
Application Timestamp: 3e401b79
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0306
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: PCH_03_FROM_DALib+0x00002148
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.103
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0306
Additional Information 2: 03063ec60b78826ca6e41026287448a9
Additional Information 3: f37a
Additional Information 4: f37a8f09e3a3d515b7626a5ca8f255c1
- Changing compatibility settings for Freelancer.exe (vanilla and NoCD) to Windows 7, XP SP2/SP3, Vista, and 98.
- Setting Freelancer.exe property to "Run as Administrator"
- Installation location as default as well as C:\Freelancer, C:\Microsoft Games\Freelancer
- Running vanilla Freelancer.exe with a mounted mini Iso image. - In this case, it seems to recognize the iso as the CD but returns the same error
- I've also attempted an XP virtual machine using Win 8 Client Hyper V but I've abandoned that after discovering that it does not support dedicated graphics cards.
- I'm looking for any method that will allow me to run Freelancer natively on Window 8.1
- The other thread on a similar topic does address any errors related to resolving this error.
- While my request seems possible according to the previous thread, if it is not possible on my setup, I'd be open to understanding a successful virtual machine approach.
My sincerest thanks in advance to any that are able and willing to help. There's a growing number of PC's that come preloaded with Windows 8 so it may prove useful as a reference for others as well.
Thank you much,
PS. My apologies for any readibility issues. I'm not well-versed in formatting but I've done my best to make this readable.