There's no place like home!

• Well, he could have one, and is using it to plot a take over of your sandbox. Hmm, maybe I should help fund his work...

Proud owner of a MacBook: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120 GB hard drive
    Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

The time has come, Join The Resistance!

• Ye Gods.

The Vulture King without wing-ed helm!

What is the world coming to? Oh the shame! Oh the lamentation!

Even worse! He's been undone by pomuphilia! Gaaaaaah! Someone call the EMTs STAT!

• As long as it doesn't have sand. :mrgreen:

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• I'll have you know, I have had NO internet issues since switching to Mac. I have an Apple Express wireless router to go with the comp, and it has not failed me yet, and allows wireless printing too.

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• Not with my mouse it isn't. The only real issue, is a certain sand dwelling tea toweled individual and his obsession for taking over the world. :mrgreen:

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• don't go onto any "mac.com" websites, FD, your cr*ppy Safari full-of-holes browser* will lose all your money - if you have any left after splurging out on Jobs' overpriced overhyped tat! :D

*yer man Steve held the anti-phishing element back so he could bundle it into *Snow Leopard* as a marketing scam, that means your precious Mac has an even leakier browser than Interweb Exploder!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.truthilicious.com/images/steve_jobs_evil.jpg">http://www.truthilicious.com/images/steve_jobs_evil.jpg</a><!-- m -->

• Taw, this is just for you :D

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• Curious, can you play games on that Mac? If not (or not games as normally expected), what exactly do you use it for? Additionally, how much did it cost you (can just say which model, can find out online :D) and why exactly is it better than a (say) linux or windows operating system? What advantages does it hold?

Furthermore, since you're so disparaging about Windows, please list out the problems you've faced with windows, as well as how the Mac is a significant improvement upon those issues - why is this so?

Just curious as I say, most people who bash on about one or t'other can't even construct a reason as to why they think it's better... just repeat ad nauseam the hype and tripe they've been fed and believe without question.

Just wondering what use the iMac is over any other operating system, and whether this style choice has restricted old habits (be it games, or other). I bought a small laptop (HP TX1340) for use whilst commuting (today I head to Knutsford on train! Usually it's a bus to B'ham, laptop means during my 2 hour commute each way each day I can work without losing too much). I had a look at a Mac after people recommended it to me, and apart from the obvious incompatibility of software (hehe) the main reason was simply the huge cost difference - including a £200 premium to have something in black instead of white - forcing you to be a marketing tool for them.

I don't play games on the laptop, it's just the small screen and touch interface which I find attractive to buy (and light). I only use it for programming, and eclipse / netbeans works on pretty much any OS...

• stop writing sensible posts! just get stuck into insulting FD, that's what he's there for!

nice to see you back Mr G btw! blimey it's really getting like old times again.

• *ignores Taw*

Chips, ok where to start. The cost, was $1299.00 for which it was shipped free in 3 days, and no tax on it.

Since getting it, I have had no problems with it, in daily operation and running the programs I want. I can put it to sleep simply by closing the top, and its out like a light. I open the top, and I am back working where I left off in about 2 seconds. Even if it's the next day.

Mine has 2 gb ram, of which video shares 144mb of that. It came with the super drive, so it can handle any type CD, DVD -+R -+RW and DL.

It takes mer seconds to install a program, you simply drag it to the application folder, and its done. Drag it from the folder to the Dock, and you have your link to click to start the program. To uninstall the program, simply drag drag it to the trash, and its gone, no restating, or reg clean up needed.

There are many alternatives to windows only programs for the Mac, and if you still want to hang with Office, there is a version for Mac. All New macbook, Macbook pro, iMacs come with Airport, a Wireless access for internet use as well as networking.

To me, other than Toshiba, a tie there, I haven't seen a better built machine of those I have used. List is HP, Compact, Toshiba, Dell, and 3 generic computers. It also comes with Bluetooth built in, so if I want an external keyboard, or a mouse, both can be done wireless with out needing an adaptor.

If you want first hand look at an Mac, visit a Apple Store. They let you test drive just about any product they carry.

In terms of gaming, a Macbook, is not recommended for gaming due to integrated graphics. The Macbook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro can handle gaming just fine. More and More games are being created for the Mac or being Ported over. There is also a SDK for creating iPhone programs that you can download and create your own iPhone apps, and even test run them on your Mac.

Ok, enough of the sell's pitch, Chips, I really did think long and hard for about a year before I chose to go with the Mac. I did my research on them as well. My use, is Internet, writing, iTunes, and learning more about OSX. I like learning new things.

As to Vindows, constant updates, crashes, anti-virus needs, spysweeper's, and so on. The need to defrag, clean the reg from time to time.

To be fair, I did like Vista Ultimate. It had nice eye candy, and gave me few problems that I couldn't live with. Just not gaming friendly. I just tired of windows, and prefer to leave it, and the expensive costs of the OS. Note, OSX 10.5 cost $129 and I can install it on a laptop and a desktop, and no need to register or activate. Nice huh? :D

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

• Note, OSX 10.5 cost $129 and I can install it on a laptop and a desktop, and no need to register or activate. Nice huh?

Knight,
    This is a very good point - one cannot use VINDOWS on more than one machine, yet one can install other MS products on one tower or main machine, AND one mobile machine. Same with Acrobat Pro and others. Guess the 'Monopoly' thing cannot be easily let go... Thinking more and more about Linux, or more specifically Knoppix... Later!
    LW

&quot;A little excitement in an otherwise dull day...&quot;

• Are we talking about legally being able to install OS X on any ol' x86 PC or are we talking about using the hack that makes it possible to install OS X on an x86 PC?

Or are you just talking about installing the OS X in a number of different proprietary Apple x86 Computers?

I rather think you folks are talking about the latter.

Apple does not support the installation of its OS on anything other than an Apple computer ... although there now is another computer seller that provides OS X based computers ... cheaper than Apple, there already is a question whether Apple really will allow it to continue or will move to shut it down with lawsuits.

• It is physically possible to install OSX on a PC, BUT it IS illegal to do so.

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5

iTunes

\points and laughs at FD again.

I got called a freetard the other day. But then, I'm not tied into rip-off retail prices and DRM slavery.

• Taw, the cost of iTunes songs are reasonable. An album that has 16 songs, cost me $9.99. I download it, burn it to a CD, delete the original songs, and reimport them. No more DRM. :D

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5